Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a spear : Any tips??

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Kyrat, your never letting Jeff live the knife thing down! I chuckled at the kids and their sticks. Abbie is still made at Chase for burning hers!
    I mentioned no names and made no accusations, only observations.

Sure was fun being around your bunch though. Reminded me of when my kids were small.

Seems that part of being human is having the "tool making" thing in our genetics to the point that as soon as a kid gets out of the vehicle and sees a tree they want a stick in their hands. Might need to poke a snake, swat a bug, dig a hole in the ground or move a burning chunk of wood around in the fire. You got to have a stick "just in case".

Now us adults we get fancy with it and buy ready made hiking sticks or wood, metal or fiberglass, but when it comes right down to it we all find comfort in having a good stout walking stick on hand.

I have always suspected that the spear was a development of the digging stick, which is still in use by chimps in jungles and savannahs all over the world. It is only a short jump from making a stick to fish termites from their nest to making a slightly stronger and shaper stick for stabbing and poking bush babies out of their nests.

Main difference between what humans do and what chimps do is that once we make a good stick we keep it! We carry it with us for the next job, modify it, improve on it and get it just right, then someone comes along and throws it in the fire!

Everything we use is basically an improvement on the sharp pointy stick still in use today.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...ol-use-hunting

Now if a little kid can make one, and a chimp can make one.....????
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You kids. I can remember a time when water and melons were two different things. I wasn't surprised when they merged. The world is going to heck in a fruit basket.

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A further example of the melon hybridization Rick was talking about?

I don't know about that but the kid has a melon hong, which gives me an idea.

Wow. I go to the gun range for the day and miss out on the wheres and why fors of spear making. I guess its a good thing I'm interested in guns. Of course, whittling a pointy end on a stick never did seem like rocket science to me.....and before I was old enough to have a knife (around 5 years old I guess) we rubbed them on rocks to sharpen them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When I was a kid, and before I tried making bows and arrows, I made spears. Get a stick, carve a pointy end.
    This is pretty much the most basic of tasks, and as others have said, almost all kids do it instinctively. All my kids do it. The first thing they do when we go camping and they get out of the car....go find a stick to make a spear.
    So, what should you do....think of it like trial and error. Get a stick, carve a pointy end. Is it what you want? No, then make another one. Here is a video for carving pointy ends and fire hardening. You don't need to fire harden, but you can always try. The worst it will do is mess up your stick...at which point you will go get another.

Now, should you put a rock on the end? Not at first. If you want to put a rock on the end, then you need to learn how to shape the rock. That is a whole 'nother skill set that takes a lot of practice. If you want it bad enough, then you will go and do it. You can always try metal for the pointy end. That will teach you how to wrap stuff on the end so it doesn't fall off.
    There are obviously benefits to having a heavy front end, but only when you want to throw it. If you never throw it, then just carving a pointy end will do everything you want it to do.

If you don't like these answers, you can always watch youtube videos on it. But they won't teach you as much as you just going into the woods and making one through trial and error. Material is free, so why not?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Jochalan, Who are you? (Wie ben je?)
    Maybe it's a good thing to introduce youre self first? (Vertel eens wie je bent?)
    Bur maybe you did and I missed it....?
    (Maar misschien deed je het al en heb ik het gemist?)
    For the Americans, the foreign language is Dutch, A Belgian shout know enough of it to understand what I'm saying....

You didn't miss nothing....was invited for an intro.....didn't happen, acted like total noob, even said so, than acted all 'Ouchy" about it.

Thinking, drive by troll......
    Was kinda a "sticky" situation, that seem to have "rocked" the thread ....I mean who "ties a rock on a stick" for a spear.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    When I was a kid, and before I tried making bows and arrows, I made spears. Get a stick, carve a pointy end.
    This is pretty much the most basic of tasks, and as others have said, almost all kids do it instinctively. All my kids do it. The first thing they do when we go camping and they get out of the car....go find a stick to make a spear.
    So, what should you do....think of it like trial and error. Get a stick, carve a pointy end. Is it what you want? No, then make another one. Here is a video for carving pointy ends and fire hardening. You don't need to fire harden, but you can always try. The worst it will do is mess up your stick...at which point you will go get another.

Now, should you put a rock on the end? Not at first. If you want to put a rock on the end, then you need to learn how to shape the rock. That is a whole 'nother skill set that takes a lot of practice. If you want it bad enough, then you will go and do it. You can always try metal for the pointy end. That will teach you how to wrap stuff on the end so it doesn't fall off.
    There are obviously benefits to having a heavy front end, but only when you want to throw it. If you never throw it, then just carving a pointy end will do everything you want it to do.

If you don't like these answers, you can always watch youtube videos on it. But they won't teach you as much as you just going into the woods and making one through trial and error. Material is free, so why not?
    You posted instructions for spear building! I....actually kind of didn't see that coming at this point. They look like really good ones. Might try that out.....oddly enough, and for reasons I can't explain, because you can't hunt with them in Ontario, or probably anyplace in Canada. Harpoons, yeah, but where on earth would I find a seal close enough to be a sensible choice for hunting. I'm certainly not going to use it for self defense, nor am I likely to be participating in phalanx based warfare. but all that being said, I'd actually like to have a spear. I feel like it would be neat.