Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck saw

Default Buck saw

Red oak and para cord. Attachment 9825

Very cool. You did a great job on it!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thank you!

Very nice work....have seen guys carry the blade, then bush craft a frame on site.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nicely done Reb.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    ...have seen guys carry the blade, then bush craft a frame on site.....
    That's how I had my blades, in a bag ready to go. Then, I went to a general store museum. They all kinds of tools displayed. I saw a buck saw and thought I'd try to make one. Now, I'm making another one. Something to do besides shovel snow.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    That's how I had my blades, in a bag ready to go. Then, I went to a general store museum. They all kinds of tools displayed. I saw a buck saw and thought I'd try to make one. Now, I'm making another one. Something to do besides shovel snow.
    Those repetitive chores sure can get tedious. I might have to make one as well --- getting tired of smearing on sun screen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Do you employ more of a tenon for the stabilizer or is it notched? The first one I made had shallow notches and didnt work well

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I hear ya, good use of time.....
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-21-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by JT Handcraft View Post
    Do you employ more of a tenon for the stabilizer or is it notched? The first one I made had shallow notches and didnt work well
    Just a notch on this one. It worked fine on some birch. My second one has a tenon.

Added some stain: Attachment 9830

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    ...smearing on sun screen.
    Sounds slippery.

Got some dimensions on that? I'm mainly curious as to blade length and distance from blade to crossbar.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Looks to me like a 21" blade and about 8"-9" to from the back of the blade to the cross bar.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Attachment 9833 This one is made from maple with the cross support using mortise and tenon joints. It's a better and sturdier set-up. I still need to make the spinner thingy. These have a twelve inch saw blade.

Rebel, you might consider a book called Ancient Carpenter's Tools by Henry Mercer. 0-486-40958-9. It's a great book and I've made more than one tool just from pictures in it. It's a great resource for forging as well. It has a lot of different jigs and forging tools. The old guys were pretty darn clever. Necessity, invention and all.

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Carpen.../dp/0486409589
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the link Rick. I'll check it out. When I went to Williamsburg I found a similar book and made a shaving horse from the plans. Unfortunately, it didn't make the move. I've been thinking about making another one.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Looks to me like a 21" blade and about 8"-9" to from the back of the blade to the cross bar.
    The size of the teeth in relation to the length of the blade itself was what started me wondering: the teeth seemed kinda big for anything larger than one of the 12" hacksaw-compatible buck saw blades. I made a take-down style buck saw a while back but it dont compare anywhere in looks to rebel's saw. Maybe in cutting power ( I used a 21" blade) but not appearance. Nice work, rebel.
    Wilderness Survival:

Thanks. I definitely want to do larger saws. I had these blades and thought it would be a place to start and learn.

Here's my first try at a take down buck saw. I used a 21" blade and a piece of all-thread for the tightener:Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It all fit's in a chair bag:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I split a piece of rubber tubing to cover the blade during storage.
    Wilderness Survival: