Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a spear : Any tips??

Question Making a spear : Any tips??

Okay so, I'm actually a 100% basic noob at working with wood, and I'm trying to make A wooden spear.
    I have some questions tho :

-Should I make a wooden tip, or should I put a rock ontop of it??
    -If I should make a wooden tip/head, should I fire harden it?? If yes, how??
    -If I should put a rock ontop of it, how do I have to do this??

So euh, thanks in advance already guys

What are you going to use it for?

Watermelon jousting? !
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What are you going to use it for?
    Self defense, hunting later on maybe, WATERMELON JOUSTING

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an intro section at :
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Here are some hints on different methods of spear making.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Spear
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

is watermelon jousting actually a thing? And, followup question, if it is actually a thing, why am I not doing it right now instead of drinking coffee and reading things on the internet?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My God how have the Europeans survived this long?

You have not given us anything but a screen name and location, no age, introduction or information to advise you.

From what I understand from dealing with the British and other Europeans, a spear will be treated just like any other deadly weapon and you are not allowed to have one without the proper authorization. And do remember that a spear is only a benefit as long as the other party/parties are less well armed than you, and all you have is a sharp pointy stick.

What I would propose for you, not knowing your age or other capabilities, other than you do not know how to operate a piece of wood, is a specialized wooden walking staff. You can actually go outside with a walking staff and carry it on a hiking trail without expecting other hikers to immediately dial up the authorities on their cell phones and report a spear wielding terrorist.

I prefer mine about shoulder tall and about 3cm in diameter.

To prevent wear, aid in digging eatable roots and tubers I like to pin a section of metal tubing about 10cm long on the bottom end. Usually this piece of tubing is beaten flat or cut at an angle at the end to improve its digging abilities and traction.

I am very hesitant to give detailed information on making sharp and potentially dangerous items at this point due to a recent episode with a newbie involving me handing him a knife and his immediate attempt (within 5 seconds of opening the blade) to amputate his left index finger and instant remark that "that knife is sharp!".

Newbies (people that can not operate a piece of wood) are not to be trusted with sharp items due to the risk of cutting, poking, dicing and slicing what is not intended.

I must also point out that on the same excursion into the "wild" which resulted in the newbie attempting to do self surgery on his digits, we also had the benefit of the expertise of three children between 5 and 8 years of age. All three of them managed to find an appropriate walking/digging/poking in the fire stick within a half hour of arrival. These sticks were modified and personalized and most definitely identified as personal possessions within minutes. The children retained these tools for the duration of the weekend with the intent of taking them home for latter use.

It is so easy even a cave man, or a small child, can do it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-07-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    My God how have the Europeans survived this long?

You have not given us anything but a screen name and location, no age, introduction or information to advise you.

From what I understand from dealing with the British and other Europeans, a spear will be treated just like any other deadly weapon and you are not allowed to have one without the proper authorization. And do remember that a spear is only a benefit as long as the other party/parties are less well armed than you, and all you have is a sharp pointy stick.

What I would propose for you, not knowing your age or other capabilities, other than you do not know how to operate a piece of wood, is a specialized wooden walking staff. You can actually go outside with a walking staff and carry it on a hiking trail without expecting other hikers to immediately dial up the authorities on their cell phones and report a spear wielding terrorist.

I prefer mine about shoulder tall and about 3cm in diameter.

To prevent wear, aid in digging eatable roots and tubers I like to pin a section of metal tubing about 10cm long on the bottom end. Usually this piece of tubing is beaten flat or cut at an angle at the end to improve its digging abilities and traction.

I am very hesitant to give detailed information on making sharp and potentially dangerous items at this point due to a recent episode with a newbie involving me handing him a knife and his immediate attempt (within 5 seconds of opening the blade) to amputate his left index finger and instant remark that "that knife is sharp!".

Newbies (people that can not operate a piece of wood) are not to be trusted with sharp items due to the risk of cutting, poking, dicing and slicing what is not intended.

I must also point out that on the same excursion into the "wild" which resulted in the newbie attempting to do self surgery on his digits, we also had the benefit of the expertise of three children between 5 and 8 years of age. All three of them managed to find an appropriate walking/digging/poking in the fire stick within a half hour of arrival. These sticks were modified and personalized and most definitely identified as personal possessions within minutes. The children retained these tools for the duration of the weekend with the intent of taking them home for latter use.

It is so easy even a cave man, or a small child, can do it.
    1. I'm not "just your normal European person", nor do I intend to "ampute my finger/hand/arm/leg/head/whatever body part". When I said "I'm a 100% total noob with wood", I didn't mean I don't know how to cut wood... I know how to get bark of, cut wood into right lengths, I mean, I know the basics buddy.

2. You think I want to do wrong/bad things with this spear, well, NO. Reason for this is, I've been kind of interested in older, more basic ways to survive. Like, without guns and stuff people use nowadays. I don't mean I don't use knives, I'm just not interested in GUNS 'n stuff like that.

3. You need AUTHORIZATION for a SELF-MADE, WOODEN SPEAR?! Waow, but no. IDEC if you do, I won't keep that rule.

4. I think you don't really like Europeans, is that right??
    "If you want something in life, reach out and grab it."-Christopher McCandless

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Well now, we have a stated disregard for the law combined with a slight anger management problem and questions about constructing weapons all rolled one.

in reverse order

4. I like Europeans as well as any other American, Lord knows we have liberated the hell out of Belgium at least twice! We just celebrated a historic moment yesterday on the anniversary of the D-Day landing at Normandy.

3. Better check your laws and the penalties of your decisions. They apply to you whether you decide to "keep that rule" or not. I am sure every legal entity in Europe will have edged weapon rules. Most parts of the US do also.

2. Many of us over here enjoy the woods without guns, or spears for that matter. I would think that in Belgium you would have fewer encounters with bears, big cats and other predators than we do here. I can attest to the fact that if you run into a creature big enough to require a spear the situation actually requires a gun! You see, you are using the spear because you don't have, or can not get, a gun. Just because you are "not interested" in guns does not mean you don't need one or it would not be the better tool!

1. No one accused you of being a "normal European". You were the one that stated you were a "100% total noob with working wood". I took you at your word.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Now wait a minute. It was you that said, " I'm actually a 100% basic noob at working with wood". Are we to infer then that you know the basics buddy? 100% is pretty complete and leaves little room for us to infer anything other than you know nothing,

Then, when you don't receive the answer you expected you feel slighted. Interesting. It's not Europeans that he doesn't like. There are, after all, dozens of Europeans on here and we all get along just fine. It's people that come on here without the slightest hint of introducing themselves, ask a question and then get upset because they don't receive the answer they expected. We all have a problem with that. It shows a distinct lack of maturity. My suggestion to you is look your answer up on Google then if you don't receive the answer you want you can argue with your computer screen. For now, I'll consider you another troll.

EDIT: Sorry, Kyrat, I was typing when you posted.

Huh...and here all along I was thinking this whole thread was gonna go sideways,.... with a header of "Making a spear : Any tips??".....Get it ...Tips?....LOL...Spear Tips?........No?....

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Huh...and here all along I was thinking this whole thread was gonna go sideways,.... with a header of "Making a spear : Any tips??".....Get it ...Tips?....LOL...Spear Tips?........No?....

Oh well.
    I was hoping we were going to riff on watermelon jousting for a while. but we appear to be doing the "We bailed you out in WW2" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    I was hoping we were going to riff on watermelon jousting for a while. but we appear to be doing the "We bailed you out in WW2" thing.
    Hummmm, Yeah I kinda was as well....
    We hunted the "wild watermelon" with home made bows and cattail arrows as kids...neighbors garden.....

Never gave watermelon "Jousting" a thought, sadly.....LOL

Watermelon jousting...now that's a sport for men. Like pig sticking, but somehow more fruity. Ah, even all these years later I can still smell the early morning mist, and hear my horse's hoof-beats as I rode in to the jungle, my spear in hand. I took first juice on my last day, when an enormous Cream of Saskatchewan charged at me from the underbrush, almost too close to bring my horse about and ready my weapon. I was lucky to have escaped with my life! I still have it's rind mounted on my wall.
    Last edited by tundrabadger; 06-07-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: i can spell, really.

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    Watermelon jousting...now that's a sport for men. Like pig sticking, but somehow more fruity. Ah, even all these years later I can still smell the early morning mist, and hear my horse's hoof-beats as I rode in to the jungle, my spear in hand. I took first juice on my last day, when an enormous Cream of Saskatchewan charged at me from the underbrush, almost too close to bring my horse about and ready my weapon. I was lucky to have escaped with my life! I still have it's rind mounted on my wall.
    Now that is a survival story!......

Bow hunting them resulted in have to stick them, drag them off, then eat the guts.... (the best part, w/ Morton salt)....all the while watching out for the "Sherriff".........Garden owner....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Now that is a survival story!......

Bow hunting them resulted in have to stick them, drag them off, then eat the guts.... (the best part, w/ Morton salt)....all the while watching out for the "Sherriff".........Garden owner....
    The stolen fruit tastes sweeter? Ah, but the sheriff should have congratulated you for eliminating a watermelony menace

Best part of childhood weaponry ....was imagination.

Watermelon jousting was setting a watermelon on an old stool in the street. Two kids would get on their bikes equal distance from the watermelon. Kids would arm them selves with spears, typically a wooden handle from one of dad's garden tools. Both riders would charge the watermelon at the same time. If you got the watermelon it was 2 points. If you could spear the watermelon onto your spear and ride off with it you got 5 points and the watermelon.

Kyrat, your never letting Jeff live the knife thing down! I chuckled at the kids and their sticks. Abbie is still made at Chase for burning hers!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Watermelon jousting was setting a watermelon on an old stool in the street. Two kids would get on their bikes equal distance from the watermelon. Kids would arm them selves with spears, typically a wooden handle from one of dad's garden tools. Both riders would charge the watermelon at the same time. If you got the watermelon it was 2 points. If you could spear the watermelon onto your spear and ride off with it you got 5 points and the watermelon.

Kyrat, your never letting Jeff live the knife thing down! I chuckled at the kids and their sticks. Abbie is still made at Chase for burning hers!
    Okay, that actually sounds like a lot of fun. I feel like I might alarm the neighbours if I tried it, mind. "Hey, look, grown man is riding his bike at a watermelon and weilding a hoe for some reason"

My neighbors gave up on me when I set up the 16 ft Tipi in the back yard, started a fire in a pit fire, and started throwing tomahawks and knives, ........with the kids.

Cops came by, something about an "open fire".....had the fire in the pit, with cooking irons..... and steaks on.
    They just looked around and said....Cool, and left.

Now they just say, "Uh Huh, we know......"