Thread: Hello from Colorado!!

Default Hello from Colorado!!

I’m disabled and retired living along the “Front Range” in Colorado. In a previous life I drove semi with my SO across country and absolutely loved the traveling and the people we met along the way. That life came to a screeching halt when I suffered a serious injury to my back/hips. Was on top a flat-bed piled two-high with lumber trying to get it chained down when I lost grip of the chain and over the side I went. I had to find another line of work after learning to walk again. As it turned out the feds were very understanding about my limited walking ability at the time and so I worked for a couple of different agencies in the Fed government.

The only experience I’ve had with survival related issues is the lessons I learned from my great-grandmother and grandmother who both lived through the Great Depression. As my grandmother once said, “I swore I would never go hungry again” and to ensure that fact they both taught me how to have extra food and supplies on hand and how to “hunker down” when circumstances required.

Since I live in the Rocky Mountain region we have definitely had numerous times when “hunkering down” was required. In 1972/73 we had the infamous “Thanksgiving Day” blizzard and the very next year we had the infamous “Christmas” blizzard. Both shut down the city and made travel absolutely impossible for a week or more each time. Believe there were other times as well when weather played havoc on the area knocking out utilities and blocking roads for days on end. More than one time we just shut down the rest of the house and “camped out” in the livingroom, which the kids absolutely loved. We stayed warm with the natural gas stove/oven, had light from two oil lamps, slept in sleeping bags, and as the kids later said “just had a great time”. There is definitely something to be said for not having everything electric as is the case now. Grrr!!

I’m pretty sure that when SRHTF I will have to hunker down in the city yet again, only this time it will be for the long term. Even so I want to have the well-stocked BOB ready for myself and two grandchildren. So I’m determined to know Urban Survival skills as well as the ability to "bug out of town" while helping grandkids as well. I currently have some emergency food and other supplies put back, some firearms for protection, and am trying to learn all the skills I can.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    Good luck on you planning, lot of information to go thru.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome from GA!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Default Thank You for the welcome

Thank You for the warm welcome!!! I look forward to learning as much as I possibly can between now and when SHTF as I firmly believe is definitely coming. Since I have two small grandchildren I feel I have plenty to learn in order to assure that they are well cared for and safe. Thanks again for the welcome!!!

Welcome home.

Welcome from a fellow "Front Range" resident. I am learning just how important planning around your disabilities is.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

Cool Hello from a "flatlander."

Welcome aboard. I used to sell insurance in Colorado many years back. I was always on the road. We worked the front range in the winter and the mountains in the summer. I loved Durango, Blue Mesa reservoir, Black Mesa Canyon, and Wolf Creek pass, where I camped out one weekend. I saw mopuntain Goats, Mule Deer, and plenty of Prairie Dogs while traveling around that state! I learned all about Fly fishing and tying as well while living there. I kinda miss it....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default Thank You for the Warm Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Welcome from a fellow "Front Range" resident. I am learning just how important planning around your disabilities is.

Thank You so much for the welcome, I appreciate it. Early this year I found myself without my "Bug Out Buddy" because of a sudden and very unexpected loss in the immediate family. The extended family are much too wrapped up in "keeping up with the Jones'" to be concerned with future plans that may not come true tomorrow, at the latest. Grrr!!! So being on a limited income with a disability makes future plans all the more challenging now. Any suggestions you can offer of where to go from here with "Bug Out Plans" would be most welcomed and certainly appreciated. I look forward to anything you may care to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Welcome aboard. I used to sell insurance in Colorado many years back. I was always on the road. We worked the front range in the winter and the mountains in the summer. I loved Durango, Blue Mesa reservoir, Black Mesa Canyon, and Wolf Creek pass, where I camped out one weekend. I saw mopuntain Goats, Mule Deer, and plenty of Prairie Dogs while traveling around that state! I learned all about Fly fishing and tying as well while living there. I kinda miss it....
    Thank You for the welcome. Yes, Colo grows on a person. I moved away for about six years, sometime back, but missed the mountains so much that here I am to stay. Due to family circumstances my "bug out plans" have required that I start completely over, which believe me is no easy task at this point. I'm determined to do it though for my two grandchildren, if nothing else. Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

Default For Old GI.....

Wanted to say THANK YOU for your service to our country. Also, PLEASE be sure to pass on my many thanks to your Son for his service. It's thanks to people like you and your son that I get to do as I please with my life. MANY THANKS!!!

Hello and welcome. With all those infamous blizzards in the 70's I surprised they didn't outlaw Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Virginia.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by RkyMntPrepper View Post
    More than one time we just shut down the rest of the house and “camped out” in the livingroom, which the kids absolutely loved. We stayed warm with the natural gas stove/oven, had light from two oil lamps, slept in sleeping bags, and as the kids later said “just had a great time”. There is definitely something to be said for not having everything electric as is the case now. Grrr!!
    Yep, broken heating fuel line caused us to close off bedroom and camp out in the living room. Just took the mattresses off the beds and put them on the living room floor (which was very cold bare anyways). Turned on the oven and served hot chocolate. Comfy and cozy and the kids had great fun.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Another Front Ranger here. Looks like the regulars have already given you some good advice RkyMntPrepper so hopefully you enjoy the forum!
    Life is too short to hurry through.
    ~ Kenny Salwey