Thread: Camp fire to hot. How do you control it?

Default Camp fire to hot. How do you control it?

I have a lot to learn about controlling the heat of my camp fire when cooking. Would like to hear other people talk about how they build their fire for cooking and how they judge heat and control it.

Also, what do you use for utensils? You shouldn't use metal because it scratches the cast iron coating and plastic melts. Did the settlers use wooden utensils...spoons, spatulas and such? Then again I bet they were not that concerned with protecting their seasoned pans like we are.
    Last edited by sofasurfer; 05-25-2015 at 04:00 PM.

I'll pull coals from the fire to cook with and if need be pull a few more coals over. Think of a fire similar to a keyhole. I use metal spatulas, whatever I'm cooking generally reseasons the pan.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Yup. Coals not flame. I use wood and metal utes on cast iron and eggs still don't stick on old D.O.'s and skillets.

I move coals from the fire also and I use metal on my cast iron. You aren't going to hurt it with metal tools.

I have also used to logs laid parallel and then open one end up a bit. I build the fire between the logs at the wider end and cook on the narrower end. I set the pan or skillet on top of the two logs. I can shovel coals where I want them and also move the pan back and forth for good heat control.

Shovel is a handy tool...kind hard to do in minimalist cooking, but then again you are not gonna use cast iron ware then anyway.

Start fire, let it burn to coals...then cook....

Learn what wood burn fast, slow, and long.
    Pine burns fast, dry faster, split faster yet.....
    Hard woods slower, and make better coals.
    Green wood burns very slow....but faster when split.

Have a selection handy for what you are doing.

My D.O. sits in a 16" fry pan, on a trivet....coals in the pan, then preheated DO, the more coals on top.(shovel)

I use what ever spatula, pancake flipper, spoon or what ever is handy...steel, iron, and even have a kinda plastic spatula from home...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Why do I feel plastic on cast iron is a sin...

It is....wasn't mine....Have a large selection of fire irons and utensils.
    Point is....if it works at home for cooking it will work on a campfire, as long as you don't toss it in the fire.

Some iron cast and fire pit.
    Did a 25 pound turkey, 12 pound capon fixins' ....and two loves of bread in DO between the pits.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-25-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Agree with coals - not flames. If it's a dutch oven on the ground either add or take away coals above and below to control heat. If its a hanging pot - raise or lower it. If it's a fry pan - add or remove coals from beneath.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The high temp silicone spatulas aren't horrible. And actually can make clean up easier.

I also use a plastic scraper at home and in the woods for cleaning my cast iron.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My first thought was, what are you doing with your spoons and spatulas that damages cast iron?

I use my cast iron home and camp and use heavy blacksmith made utensils even at home and it never damages my cast iron.

I also have a small shovel I made in the blacksmith shop just for pulling coals out of the fire for cooking.

Several of my buck skinning friends have confiscated shovels from fireplace sets for the purpose. You can get them cheap at yard sales, flea markets.

Back when my wife was alive and some of her friends would camp with us they would get a bit carried away at long camps and start doing gourmet Dutch oven treats. I was required to dig some pretty elaborate fire pits for those girls in payment for the goodies I scarfed down. The DW liked a single ditch about 4 feet long with a 2 foot circle dug on each end for the Dutch ovens. She would hang pots over part of the fire, had a grate for about half the ditch.

I sure ate good back then! Those girls would win every cooking contest we had.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I move coals from the fire also and I use metal on my cast iron. You aren't going to hurt it with metal tools.

I have also used to logs laid parallel and then open one end up a bit. I build the fire between the logs at the wider end and cook on the narrower end. I set the pan or skillet on top of the two logs. I can shovel coals where I want them and also move the pan back and forth for good heat control.
    Two log method is my second favorite method behind the pit......works well.

Hunter, you mentioned a shovel is a handy tool and kind of difficult to do in a minimalist camp.

I have used Cabbage palm fronds and oak branches as a shovel.

Here you can see improvised tongs. Like store bought just longer. LOL

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Yeah, cabbage palm fronds...weeeell kinda in short supply here the upper Minnowischican.....lol

Have used a flat board....actually carried that board around as coal mover, kinda poker, kneeling board, (Cooks are the ones with the dirty knees) hot pad...until one day a "Guest" decided the fire needed flames....saw it burn up in a couple of minutes.