Thread: Robot died.

Default Robot died.

The old iRobot, Roomba died.

Bought it quite a while ago, in a weak moment.
    Main use was terrorizing the dogs and cats, and moving dirt around.....

DW dragged it out as again as we have some fresh dogs to chase around....charged up, green light, the stopped.

Down loaded the manual, mine older but close to the same.....Nada.
    Called customer service, nice lady walked me thru the secret reset function.....Nada.

So she says....."It's broke....We have a deal going on a new one, $100 bucks off so now $299 buck delivered.

Thought that was kinda high for just chasing the puppies, so declined.

My problem now is,.... How do I know it really dead?......, not just sleeping, or pizzed off for spending time in the closet?.....Does it really have an intelligence?....Should I just toss it out?......What if it comes back?

What to do, what to do.......????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

hunter take it out and shoot it before it wakes up and chases your dogs to exhaustion, and tries to suck your toes off while you are watching the news! Never trust a pissed off robot!

Oh wait, I have a question, did it only chase your dogs when they were dirty

Great idea......had to kill off a couple of possessed alarm clocks in the past.

Don't trust robots
    https://screen.yahoo.com/woomba-000000993.html

Yep - to ensure it is dead and does not turn into a zombie roomba make a target out of it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am truly surprised at you guys. There are sooooo many parts there that could be used in other projects. Surely you could make those parts fit in something. You might have to fabricate them a bit or alter the project so they fit but that's a rollin' parts bin!

Hunter, do you have an image of the deceased?
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Not sure if dead yet...maybe sleeping......haven't shot it yet.....
    Yeah, the was a time I would have salvaged parts, and built something out of it.....but for some reason that has kinda lost it appeal lately.

Mine is a older Roomba 400.....
    Newer ones....
    http://www.irobot.com/For-the-Home/V...ng/Roomba.aspx

For what ever reason (?) I'm having a problem tossing it....so am open for any other suggestions up to a including find it a new home.

Do you know for sure it isn't the battery?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Battery charges up, then turns green.....what that means I don't really know.....maybe have the battery guys check it for amp draw....?...
    They made sure most people can't get in...all screws are sided groves in heads.

You could always turn it into a frisbee that sucks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You could always turn it into a frisbee that sucks.
    Choke, cough, cough....Bhohahahaha....Frisbee the sucks......(slapping knee ).....good one....

Some how in the distance I hear some one calling ...."PULL"......Then, ....Boom.

Ever have a roomba do its thang after one of the cats had a puking fit? And you thought a contained pile of cat puke was a mess...
    Not me. A buddy of mine. I don't do robots.

Have you tried actually removing the battery and putting it back in? My phone craps out on me all the time. Lights on but none of the buttons work. Pull the battery, put it back in, restart, and it's fine. Until the next time.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Open her up, look for obvious things like corroded battery, leaky capacitors, burnt diodes and replace as necessary. Check for hair around the axle of the motor. The problem though, is that the gizmos are probably all tiny discrete surface mount components and black blobs (ugh).

What kind of screws are these? I didn't understand the description "sided groves." Post a pic?

If the motors still work, I'd probably hook up some 555 timers in an astable circuit to make the motors turn on and off in intervals, and or switch from left to right in intervals. I'd maybe add a couple of light sensitive diodes to each motor so that they move faster towards light in order to make it seem like it had a mind of its own.

Then there is the simple solution. Just put a laser pointer on your dog's collar, turn it on and let the animals chase after each other. No Roomba needed.

Okay even simpler. Open the door and shout "Squirrel!" That usually works for me.

Picture a upside down pointed triangle headed screws...mostly on the battery....the rest are Philips.....
    4th row 5th for left.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Yeah, may mess with it when I get home.....need to deal with a dead battery on the old 4 wheeler this next week.