Thread: Bridgeford MRE-type sandwiches

Default Bridgeford MRE-type sandwiches

Last week while I was shopping at Wally World I noticed they had the Bridgeford MRE/survival sandwiches in stock (the BBQ beef ones). Another item that's not super healthy, similar to fast food nutritionally. But I figured one couldn't kill me so I got a package to try. IIRC the shelf life is around 3-5 years depending on the storage conditions. They're quite a bit of bread and not a ton of filling but they're really not bad, akin to something you'd get at a gas station or truck stop refrigerator case. You can heat them or eat them cold; I ate them cold since that's what I'd do in a pinch. They'd probably be much better warmed up.

They're not in quite the same category as lifeboat rations that will keep in any conditions for several years, but they might be a good option for something more like actual food. Also a decent option for backpacking or camping where weight isn't critical and you want something that doesn't require any prep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Last week while I was shopping at Wally World I noticed they had the Bridgeford MRE/survival sandwiches in stock (the BBQ beef ones). Another item that's not super healthy, similar to fast food nutritionally. But I figured one couldn't kill me so I got a package to try. IIRC the shelf life is around 3-5 years depending on the storage conditions. They're quite a bit of bread and not a ton of filling but they're really not bad, akin to something you'd get at a gas station or truck stop refrigerator case. You can heat them or eat them cold; I ate them cold since that's what I'd do in a pinch. They'd probably be much better warmed up.

They're not in quite the same category as lifeboat rations that will keep in any conditions for several years, but they might be a good option for something more like actual food. Also a decent option for backpacking or camping where weight isn't critical and you want something that doesn't require any prep.
    My local Dick's Sporting Goods has them. I've never tried them though. What is the "BBQ Beef" filling like? Is it just paste? Chunks of beef?

I've been noticing a lot more "survival stuff" at Walmart lately. One for example is the Sawyer water filters. Others are various water treatment tablets, fire strikers, tube tents, storm matches, foldable canteens, sterno stoves etc etc .
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

lame wolf' i think suvivalism is going main stream, when wally world carries a mollie 3-day survival waist pouch
    with life boat rations and mollie packs in acu and coyote tan. there you go.

Thanks for trying it out and taking one for the team. Doesn't sound like something I would be interested in, but now I know.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

as for those molle survival butt packs they stopped carrying them at walmart last year glad i bought 2 of em.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    lame wolf' i think suvivalism is going main stream, when wally world carries a mollie 3-day survival waist pouch
    with life boat rations and mollie packs in acu and coyote tan. there you go.
    What has gone mainstream is businesses making a profit. As long as the public is buying it, there will be a market to sell it. Once the demand slows/stops then big businesses will move on to the next "latest and greatest" gadget.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My favorite Milsup store J&R Surplus in Desoto, WI was selling these for a $1.00 Buck.

Seems they are made up for events?.....anyway had the canned BBQ, bun, juice box, Pringles....bunch of other stuff.....was OK but everything just tasted old.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Would have liked to find a "Use By" date.
    http://www.sunmeadow.com/

Guess it beats bugs, grubs, and worms......
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-18-2015 at 05:23 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Buying food at a gas station is not on my bucket list. Just sayin'....

Oh you mean "roller food"?
    There was a brat on the rollers at the club house at the local county golf course....I believe was there for the whole season.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    My local Dick's Sporting Goods has them. I've never tried them though. What is the "BBQ Beef" filling like? Is it just paste? Chunks of beef?
    It's ground beef kind of like sloppy Joe MRE filling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Buying food at a gas station is not on my bucket list. Just sayin'....
    Hahaha! True enough. But the proper comparison isn't to a restaurant where you would take your wife for her birthday; it's to other food you might take camping or keep stored for an emergency.

I don't know, my local gas station has a small deli and makes some pretty good sandwhichs. Their far from stingy also on the meat. Although I've always been leary of the fried foods or the roller dogs, never know how long they've been there.

Or what the meat REALLY is.

@Hunter - Looks like they are still making those.

http://www.sunmeadow.com/what-we-offer/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Or what the meat REALLY is.

@Hunter - Looks like they are still making those.

http://www.sunmeadow.com/what-we-offer/
    Yeah, I posted a link on post #8.....Looks like a big business including MRE meals or parts.

J&R Surplus also had breakfast meals for a buck.........Couple of turkey hunters were buying both.....but thought I would just try the BBQ first....
    Ya gotta be hungry.

Thank you regarding attempting the idea out and about and also getting one for the workforce. Isn't going to sound like a thing We would be thinking about, although currently I am aware.

Quote Originally Posted by robles View Post
    Thank you regarding attempting the idea out and about and also getting one for the workforce. Isn't going to sound like a thing We would be thinking about, although currently I am aware.
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......

What?

Well, you know. I'm thinking about being aware for the workforce, which is a good idea I think.