Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: List the things you hate to see in a knife

I gonna ask to be buried with a SAK........just in case I need to get out.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Or open a brewski.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

...or take a leak?......

Both are Stainless Steel and I am splitting hair here on the Rockwell Scale of hardness. I hope this helps get the message out.

Victorinox Swiss Army knives have a Steel Hardness of 55-56
    Leatherman's Wave 420 HC Rockwell 56-59
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    I have carried pocket knives since I was about ten years old. (I probably would have carried before that except my mother told everyone that I was never to be trusted with anything sharp!) I seem to always be acquiring new "Tactical" pocket knives from the NRA banquets and other similar sources. However the knife that rides in my pocket at all times is an SAK Treckker model, that I discovered some years back. It has all the blades that I normally use (and one that I don't - the saw blade). It is longer that a typical SAK from my youth but is still light to carry and opens with one hand. I do not like corkscrews on my knives but do like awls/punches.I didn't realize that I had the saw blade on this knife until just now, when I read the specs out of the catalog and checked the knife. I really feel naked without that knife in my pocket!
    I've carried pockets knives since the age of 6. Mt great grandmother bought me my first 2 pocket knives and I still have them and I'm 59 now. They were Imperial brand knives about 2 inches long closed and one looks like a little stiletto the other kind of a canoe design. One good thing about them, even though they were cheap kids knives, they took and held a good edge !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

59?! That's AARP age. I'll bet you have to check for mold.

Banned

Don't like folding knives unless that is the only option available and especially not ones that don't lock open.

I do have a very small round nose serrated river knife I leave on my PFD. mostly for cutting rope and fishing line of illegal trot/limb lines that are hazards on waterways. I.e. get hook stuck in flesh/clothing cut yourself free fast. Most people carry larger knives. When doing water rescue for triathlon and open water swim I remove all knives and sharp objects, only thing attached to kayak or SUP are water bottle and floatation devices, possibly FAK/CPR. People who "think" they are drowning due to minor cramp lack of training etc. Will grab all over your boat and you and pull at every thing tring to climb on board. Irrational people require a calm voice not a sharp knife poking them.

Did any of you watch that knife making contest show on history channel. They were forced to ruin good knives with 4" of sarrations. Also rushed which was interesting but artificial it seemed to me. Most stuff on TV is NOT reality!
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-06-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Cool Imperial knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I've carried pockets knives since the age of 6. Mt great grandmother bought me my first 2 pocket knives and I still have them and I'm 59 now. They were Imperial brand knives about 2 inches long closed and one looks like a little stiletto the other kind of a canoe design. One good thing about them, even though they were cheap kids knives, they took and held a good edge !
    When I was 6 my mother paid us kids 50 cents allowance apiece every week. I would run down to Woolworths and buy the Imperial "fish" pocket knife; 49 cents and a penny sales tax. It even had a lock on it. It was a kind of long, single blade knife that I would play with out in the back yard. I wound up with a bunch of cuts on my hands that would really freak Mom out so she'd take the knife away from me. The next week when I got my allowance I'd go back to Woolworths and buy another one. It'd drive mom crazy!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Only behind my ears !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

I've found if you let it grow on your butt it's makes nice padding.

Speaking of Imperial Knives....LOL....just picked up one at a flea market.

It's on a old "Imperial" fixed blade knife with pressed metal scales......Made in USA...1960's (?)
    This isn't mine, but looks just like it...... but show the sides pretty well

One side....flat
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Other side...you can see where the grind ended next to the hilt...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Speaking of Imperial Knives....LOL....just picked up one at a flea market.

It's on a old "Imperial" fixed blade knife with pressed metal scales......Made in USA...1960's (?)
    This isn't mine, but looks just like it...... but show the sides pretty well

One side....flat

Other side...you can see where the grind ended next to the hilt...

I used to have one just like that Hunter, lost it somewhere years ago. Almost bought one with a sheath at a feamarket last summer but the guy want 75 bucks for it, I think I paid $1.98 for the one I had !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    When I was 6 my mother paid us kids 50 cents allowance apiece every week. I would run down to Woolworths and buy the Imperial "fish" pocket knife; 49 cents and a penny sales tax. It even had a lock on it. It was a kind of long, single blade knife that I would play with out in the back yard. I wound up with a bunch of cuts on my hands that would really freak Mom out so she'd take the knife away from me. The next week when I got my allowance I'd go back to Woolworths and buy another one. It'd drive mom crazy!...
    I've had a few of the fishing knives, but the ones I had also had a scaler blade with a hook disgorger on the end of it. I took the main blade out of one once and used it to put in a switchblade comb if you remember those so that I had a real switchblade knife.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

LA....paid $3 buck for that one......and remember the folding fishing knives....mine were yellow and another was a like a metallic fish scale that worn mostly off......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would suggest looking for spinich between the teeth with a SAK toothpickGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Blog Entries

Cool Well, shoot...!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I've had a few of the fishing knives, but the ones I had also had a scaler blade with a hook disgorger on the end of it. I took the main blade out of one once and used it to put in a switchblade comb if you remember those so that I had a real switchblade knife.
    Come to think of it I seem to remember the scaler/hook disgorger. It was about 62 years ago and I focused mostly on the blade...then mom took it away and I had to wait until I got my next allowance....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

In reference to the utility of a saw-back blade I read somewhere that some military knives were equipped with saw teeth so that they could be used to hack through the aluminum skin of an aircraft fuselage if post-crash telescoping or fire made the exits impassable.

Cheap steel is probably the thing I don't like the most...followed by serrations.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

"Surgical stainless." Does it really take that much brainpower to notice that surgical sharps are meant to be used once and thrown away?

If you really need a scalpel, they're dirt cheap on eBay. (I keep a #3 handle and a bunch of #15C blades in the car door pocket for deep splinters.) I like having a pocketknife sharp and clean enough to to do the job, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather open a fresh, sterile scalpel blade than try to sterilize my knife, then have to clean blood off of it.

Banned

Two things I don't want in knives:
    Over sharpened low angle bevel on a bushcraft multipurpose knife used for wood and cord etc.

Dull high angle bevel on a knife used for cleaning fish. It does not need to please a professional sushi chief and cut ultra Bible paper thin layers of fish but had better not rip the crappie flesh!