Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: List the things you hate to see in a knife

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ... A sharp straight blade cuts easily without sawing.
    But that's part of 'the thing' with a lot of people: It seems there are many who believe a knife must be used to saw through something rather than to cut with a push or slice with a single long pull, whenever possible. I see it with too many knives, but mainly kitchen knives. It bugs the ever-living snot out of me when I see some of the habits so many people have!

I have seen people SAW fishing line, butter, cheese, and more.

I also have met too many people who believe a knife should be as cheap as possible, so it's not a big deal to throw it out when it's too dull to be usable! Generally these are people who are deathly afraid of a razor sharp blade, but don't mind a knife that shreds and tears raw chicken.

OK ... let's see ... things I dislike in knives (which have not been listed)

Thin flimsy blades! It is fine for some pocket knives, to an extent. A Swiss Army Knife is about as thin as I am willing to go, and only because it's an SAK. And of course filet knives and others with a directed purpose like that are an exception. But for the majority of knives, flimsy sucks.
    Last edited by Eastree; 06-29-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Hmm - no longer a fan of Swiss, never used the corkscrew, Don't like how quick the stainless blade gets dull. Clearly its a starter knife for Wine and cutting Cheese and occasionally opening a beer.

Once I upgraded to Wave there was no looking back - I gave them Swiss all away.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

My list is pretty close to Lamewolf's. I'm also not happy to see 8Cr13MoV stamped on a blade- every one I've ever seen has been junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hmm - no longer a fan of Swiss, never used the corkscrew, Don't like how quick the stainless blade gets dull. Clearly its a starter knife for Wine and cutting Cheese and occasionally opening a beer.

Once I upgraded to Wave there was no looking back - I gave them Swiss all away.
    I have the Leatherman Wave and 4 SAKs, the wave stays in a drawer most of the time but it is handy when I go fishing and need to work on a fishing reel, but my SAK camper is in my pocket every day - its just lighter and easier to carry and has a humdinger of a little saw on it if I need to cut saplings to build shelter with. The main tool I use most often on the SAK is the toothpick !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    The main tool I use most often on the SAK is the toothpick !
    And the tweezers......
    Never with out at least one SAK.....

Would still be "if you only could have one knife"...SAK
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I'm the same. The toothpick on the keychain SAK Classic is used daily.

Fact is, that little one inch SAK blade is probably the one knife I can count on being with me if I ever do have to "survive".

The big fancy Scooby-do #777 will probably be home on the shelf in the storage room and it will be me, the SAK Classic and a Brazilian machete left to do the job.

At least I'll have a toothpick.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have the Leatherman Wave and 4 SAKs, the wave stays in a drawer most of the time but it is handy when I go fishing and need to work on a fishing reel, but my SAK camper is in my pocket every day - its just lighter and easier to carry and has a humdinger of a little saw on it if I need to cut saplings to build shelter with. The main tool I use most often on the SAK is the toothpick !
    That's OK pull out a SAK and make a fuzz stick out of white pine or pine and give it 15 minutes. then do the same with a L Wave. The steel is harder. then check out which one is still sharp. Give it a try.

you can make multiple toothpicks with a Wave.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

That's OK pull out a SAK and make a fuzz stick out of white pine or pine and give it 15 minutes. then do the same with a L Wave. The steel is harder. then check out which one is still sharp. Give it a try.

you can make multiple toothpicks with a Wave.
    My SAK holds an edge much longer than my Wave does, but my SAK is a real old one, don't know about the new ones but the steel on mine is quite hard and holds a good edge. The steel on my Wave is some sort of cheap soft stainless. It sharpens easy but also dulls easy and is too heavy to carry every day.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

I don't own a Wave, but any of the several SAK's that I own are scary sharp (I keep them that way).
    I'm pretty rough on knives, cut wire, dig with the blade, and any other things that you're not *supposed* to do with them.
    The edges have always held up really well.

@ Wise Old Owl, I'm not saying this ^ to argue or dismiss your preference(s) in knives, just a little confused as to why you maybe had a dud...?
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

My Wave and the particular SAK I have both hold an edge very well......wouldn't keep them if they didn't.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My SAK holds an edge much longer than my Wave does, but my SAK is a real old one, don't know about the new ones but the steel on mine is quite hard and holds a good edge. The steel on my Wave is some sort of cheap soft stainless. It sharpens easy but also dulls easy and is too heavy to carry every day.
    Good to know. I have no access to the old ones I am sure they are better than the mass production.. I stopped recommending about 5-6 years ago based on home tests.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    I don't own a Wave, but any of the several SAK's that I own are scary sharp (I keep them that way).
    I'm pretty rough on knives, cut wire, dig with the blade, and any other things that you're not *supposed* to do with them.
    The edges have always held up really well.

@ Wise Old Owl, I'm not saying this ^ to argue or dismiss your preference(s) in knives, just a little confused as to why you maybe had a dud...?
    Well, over the years expect change by the maker. I am not rough on knives, I don't often make a fuzz stick, but I do whittle. I just grew out of the Swiss stuff. Sort of like having your first car... as a teen.

Remember when we got 10 MPH to the gallon and didn't know any better... a Jeep was 6!
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-02-2015 at 01:35 AM.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Well, over the years expect change by the maker. I am not rough on knives, I don't often make a fuzz stick, but I do whittle. I just grew out of the Swiss stuff. Sort of like having your first car... as a teen.

Remember when we got 10 MPH to the gallon and didn't know any better... a Jeep was 6!
    Agree on the changes, just look at what happened to Gerber...
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Things I hate to see in a knife...any thing cheep, not price wise but quality wise.

I have a L wave and the blade does not hold an edge as well as I would like. But keeping in mind what leatherman was probably thinking.. they made a softer tougher blade which I don't mind seeing in a tool made for the masses. the steel is quick to dull, quick to sharpen and will take a fair amount of abuse typical 420 stainless. You can make a replacement blade or even get them off ebay made from all sorts of upgraded steels.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    Things I hate to see in a knife...any thing cheep, not price wise but quality wise.

I have a L wave and the blade does not hold an edge as well as I would like. But keeping in mind what leatherman was probably thinking.. they made a softer tougher blade which I don't mind seeing in a tool made for the masses. the steel is quick to dull, quick to sharpen and will take a fair amount of abuse typical 420 stainless. You can make a replacement blade or even get them off ebay made from all sorts of upgraded steels.
    I thought about buying a cheaper Mora with a stainless blade and using it to make a new blade for my Wave. Yeah, a Wave with a scandi grind !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

The more I look, the more I learn. After a chisel grind russian bayonet and using a draw knife, I can see the usefulness.

Last edited by sjj; 10-19-2015 at 01:01 AM.

I found out about Multi tool way back when.....thought they were the coolest thing since sliced bread, wore them and even gave all my gift exchange family/friends them, as gifts.

They all still carry and wear them, newer and better versions, I sure....and I have left the Leatherman off the belt.....and just carry the little cheapo multi in the belt pouch.....And my SAK.
    Like many things, "If a little does a little good, a lot will do a lot of good......." So the ,Leatherman kept getting bigger and better....and heavier.

I don't make fuzz stick often, if ever, and am a wire cutter, digger, and pry-er as well as finger nail cleaner........ but I do get your point about staying sharp...I sure you are correct

But SAK does all the stuff I want to do and fits in the pocket.

PS. there are Multi tools in all vehicles, tackle boxes, and bags........I just don't carry or depend on them on my belt any longer.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-05-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I don't care much for serrated edges and totally detest the "El Cheapo" hollow handled Rambo knives...even if you get to keep the sheath if you send it back. I don't buy any knife without knowing the Rockwell numbers and steel type. Also the way the handle fits to my hand is important. I own Ontario, Buck, Schrade, Kabar, Gerber, Camillus, victorinox SAK, & Mora, just to name a few and like them all. I don't care if there's a celebrity's name on it or not as long as it holds up. Haven't had a bit of trouble with the ones I own....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-05-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have carried pocket knives since I was about ten years old. (I probably would have carried before that except my mother told everyone that I was never to be trusted with anything sharp!) I seem to always be acquiring new "Tactical" pocket knives from the NRA banquets and other similar sources. However the knife that rides in my pocket at all times is an SAK Treckker model, that I discovered some years back. It has all the blades that I normally use (and one that I don't - the saw blade). It is longer that a typical SAK from my youth but is still light to carry and opens with one hand. I do not like corkscrews on my knives but do like awls/punches.I didn't realize that I had the saw blade on this knife until just now, when I read the specs out of the catalog and checked the knife. I really feel naked without that knife in my pocket!