Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: List the things you hate to see in a knife

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I gonna ask to be buried with a SAK........just in case I need to get out.
    Watch out for those Zombie Killers.... get's very messy fast.... you may need something bigger than a SAK!

Now what was I doing? let me scratch my head.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Blog Entries

Other than a reference of hardness the Rc is of little use as the elements of the steel itself have more to do with its ability to hold an edge along with how its ground and the secondary bevel angle.

ex. 01 is a tool steel design to cut other steels. Its optimum range is between 61 and 63 Rc. At 61 the steel is tougher but still holds a good edge. As the rc goes up the toughness of the steel goes down but the wear resistance goes up. Now lets look a A2 which is a tool steel as well and is a step above 01in every category. A2 at 60 Rc is tougher and has higher wear resistance than 01but its Rc is lower. This is because the percentage of alloying elements. The additional vanadium and chromium in A2 allows it to have a finer , keener edge because of the smaller carbides and better wear resistance not to mention less rust issues.

Frost mora's are not zero ground. They have a wide primary grind with a micro bevel or ultra fine secondary. This can be seen by taking a new one and holding it in a bright light to see the difference in refraction. Why would they do this? Simple, because with such a steep primary angle and thin stock a zero grind would fail miserably but adding a lower degree micro bevel to the very thin edge of what may first appear to be a zero grind adds a great deal of strength to the edge so it will cut longer. Now if you sharpened the same scandi to a zero grind and never place a micro bevel on it it will get dull faster as the edge will quickly abrade away or roll. This is one of the issues so many go back and forth about steels and production knives.

I hate to see anything made from any Asian or Arab land, saw backs, gut hooks, serrations, surgical steel, never needs sharpening, bubba blade, stainless etc
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.