Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking vs sun curing. which one is better?

Banned

Default Smoking vs sun curing. which one is better?

I have smoked meat of game before (yum!) But never sun cured before.
    For a survival situation which one would be better, quicker, easier or safer!

In the realistic survival scenarios that we all potentially face in the wilderness I don't think either one is a good option. Most wilderness survival scenarios, following the initial contact with the bad thing that happened (injury, weather, illness, etc.) will either be followed by rescue/self rescue or death. Most rescues will happen within 72 hours of the incident or of your failure to return. In either case, preserving food is not an issue. You may need to consume some calories if you are exerting yourself, but realistically, for that length of time - food is not really an issue. Some comfort/peace of mind may be gained by consuming food but in the majority of scenarios it is not an issue. Eat it when you get it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What it sounds like to me is your getting off grid self sustaining living and survival confused. I smoke and dry meat all the time and am in no way in a survival situation.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    In the realistic survival scenarios that we all potentially face in the wilderness I don't think either one is a good option. Most wilderness survival scenarios, following the initial contact with the bad thing that happened (injury, weather, illness, etc.) will either be followed by rescue/self rescue or death. Most rescues will happen within 72 hours of the incident or of your failure to return. In either case, preserving food is not an issue. You may need to consume some calories if you are exerting yourself, but realistically, for that length of time - food is not really an issue. Some comfort/peace of mind may be gained by consuming food but in the majority of scenarios it is not an issue. Eat it when you get it.
    Survival doesnt always mean you want rescue, if/when SHTF and you need to bug out and managed to snag your self a boar or larger animal it would be stupid not to use all the meat. Weather would obviously be a massive factor. But you would need to some how preserve the left over meat? Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWelshBoy View Post
    Survival doesnt always mean you want rescue, if/when SHTF and you need to bug out and managed to snag your self a boar or larger animal it would be stupid not to use all the meat. Weather would obviously be a massive factor. But you would need to some how preserve the left over meat? Yes?
    It seems like you think Survival is pack up and go , Most people here plan on a long term setting, Preparing long in advance!!! moving to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and living off the land isn't survival its a life style choice, being lost in the Rockies with little to no supplies is a survival situation, having a boat break down in open sea is a potential survival situation. Running off to the wilderness unprepared looking for a survival situation IS STUPID. moving to a piece of land and living self sufficient if that's your goal isn't survival its most peoples dream that are on this board
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

wasting the meat at times cannot be helped btw welshboy howmany hogs have you ever butcherd by yourself.
    i've done a few alone and not as you put it in a survival situation it is a lot of work.pork in perticular will go fast
    turn bad another words in heat.in the woods by your self you bag a boar say 250lbs yoou'll be lucky to consume mabey 10,lbs of meat if done in summers heat that's it. i did my butchering in late fall had a meat kitchen chest freezer&commercial
    meat saw and still it was a lot to get done. i say stick with squirrels and rabbits less waste that way.

If SHTF I'll be in a hotel or a family member's home. I'll simply order the meat off the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If SHTF I'll be in a hotel or a family member's home. I'll simply order the meat off the menu.
    so what your saying is your not going to grab your survival HONG, and head to the wilderness? SISSY!!!!!

I have used sun drying for veggies....never meat.....meat has always been with a smoker or smoke house.

Has been done for 1000's of years...
    Check this out.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...at-in-the-wild
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh, I'll have my survival hong. Just won't be in the wilderness. I wore it last night as a matter of fact. Got me banned from Kroger though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    wasting the meat at times cannot be helped btw welshboy howmany hogs have you ever butcherd by yourself.
    i've done a few alone and not as you put it in a survival situation it is a lot of work.pork in perticular will go fast
    turn bad another words in heat.in the woods by your self you bag a boar say 250lbs yoou'll be lucky to consume mabey 10,lbs of meat if done in summers heat that's it. i did my butchering in late fall had a meat kitchen chest freezer&commercial
    meat saw and still it was a lot to get done. i say stick with squirrels and rabbits less waste that way.
    My family own a farm. I have butchered alot of sheep (well im Welsh, what do you expect) apart from actually killing and gutting, the abattoir did that due to laws. i know the basics when it comes to other game its not all that diffrent. I know there is wastage (unless your my nan who is still thinks WW2 is happen, she uses everything from brain to feet) and obviously in the wilderness there would be more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have used sun drying for veggies....never meat.....meat has always been with a smoker or smoke house.

Has been done for 1000's of years...
    Check this out.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...at-in-the-wild
    thanks hunter63! very helpful!

My family own a farm. I have butchered alot of sheep (well im Welsh, what do you expect) apart from actually killing and gutting, the abattoir did that due to laws. i know the basics when it comes to other game its not all that diffrent. I know there is wastage (unless your my nan who is still thinks WW2 is happen, she uses everything from brain to feet) and obviously in the wilderness there would be more.
    I'm curious How does your family preserve the meat butchered on the farm? Is it all frozen after processing ? They didn't do any canning, smoke or dry any ? And why bug out if your family owns a farm?

What's a Hong? Is it something you wear when yer young and skinny?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I'm curious How does your family preserve the meat butchered on the farm? Is it all frozen after processing ? They didn't do any canning, smoke or dry any ? And why bug out if your family owns a farm?
    Well they mainly just sell most of the livestock, but of course we keep some for them selves, we usually freeze it and consume over the winter.

As for buging out on my farm, what do you think i did with my child hood? I could still live in wales if i wanted to but whats the point when there is a whole world out there!

Survival doesnt always mean you want rescue, if/when SHTF and you need to bug out ........
    Then you are not talking about survival, but rather moving and a life style change. Survival is not a game. It is a matter of life and death. If you want to live in the woods and do it primitively, then by all means have at it. If you attempt it without the proper experience or equipment you will be in a survival situation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We are going around in circles here, and that is the point of the thread, unacceptable answers to an impossible question.

This is the norm for British survival forums. I am active on several of them and face this kind of attitude on almost every thread whether it deals with small holdings/crofting (what we call homesteading), food storage or weapons selection. A constant whining series of "I want/but what if/that's not good enough/you can't really expect me too../I already knew that",,, and the final finish off insult of "I expected better from a survival forum filled with experts!"

Their norm is what we refer too as "trolling".

What they call trolling is someone making a decisive statement and backing it up with references, which they dismiss because it ends the argument. Because of this they hate for Americans to join their forums and treat them with contempt, insults and abuse. I take part in the British forums just to irritate them with common sense answers they can not think of themselves.

The British "prepper" is never satisfied with the present situation no matter how perfect it might be. He is always looking for a better place, with fewer laws, no people, an endless food supply,,,,and someone else is always supposed to find it for them!

"Tell me/show me/take me to/find me a place...", much like our ROTTW threads except more whiney.

The ones that are the most secure in their situations, the most self reliant and the best bushcrafters do not refer to themselves as either survivalists or preppers, just small holders, apartment dwellers with some emergency gear or enthusiastic outdoorsmen. The last place they will be caught is a British survival forum.

Just ask Winnie. She has been laying low through this discussion!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyrat, that seems to make sense to me. I just keep checking this guys threads for the entertainment value!

Others are right, ROTTW to live is not survival but a lifestyle choice. Someone around here as a signature that reads "survival isn't a game, it's what you do when the game goes south".

WelshBoy, if you have any real desire to do any bit of what you say you want to do, then I would pull up a chair, think about your questions, and listen to the answers you get real carefully. I don't think that you really understand the quality level of advice you are receiving nor do you recognize the voice of experience from which it comes. If you aren't really serious about what you claim you want to do, leave on your own accord and quit being a pot stirrer.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Kyrat, that seems to make sense to me. I just keep checking this guys threads for the entertainment value!

Others are right, ROTTW to live is not survival but a lifestyle choice. Someone around here as a signature that reads "survival isn't a game, it's what you do when the game goes south".

WelshBoy, if you have any real desire to do any bit of what you say you want to do, then I would pull up a chair, think about your questions, and listen to the answers you get real carefully. I don't think that you really understand the quality level of advice you are receiving nor do you recognize the voice of experience from which it comes. If you aren't really serious about what you claim you want to do, leave on your own accord and quit being a pot stirrer.
    Aw man....lets just play along for a while....maybe one in a hundred will actually follow advice the is given from personnel experience, not from repeated interweb cut and pastes....simples because it was ask for, the get pissy when told they have the same unrealistic ideas and expectations.

Intrigues me that people find the their way here, ....some how, never heard of Google,..... and have the grass is greener ideas.

So we indulge the musing of dreamers, escapers, and general non conformists, that want to get away from people, rules, responsibly....and do it on the "look at me interweb".
    We really don't care who you are, what you do....just do it ....then come back and say..."This was my experience" ....instead of "I'm fixin' on it"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27