Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking vs sun curing. which one is better?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    What's a Hong? Is it something you wear when yer young and skinny?

Not to change the subject, well okay, I guess I am. But someone asked for THE PICTURE.

You could always send it to him via PM..........but some may consider that child abuse.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Wow a lot of key board warriors out there!!

sorry if you feel i wasted your time, at the end of the day you didn't need to post on this thread if it wasn't relevant... but i guess that's just yanks being yanks...

to be honest i just wanted some good information and insight from people over the pond but i guess its hard to get past the 'greatest country on earth' bull**** ego you've all got going on

and FYI i thought i would underline above what actual trolling was because you sure as **** don't know much about it.... someone posting on a forum asking questions and answering questions that he/she has been asked and hoping to get some good answers (which by the way i did so thanks to those who have help) isnt really trolling.

The folks down here have always had their work cut out the minute they shot the game. They smoked the meat of most game and salted fish and hides.

Smoke is free. Salt cost money and had to be carried in. Once roads came into to being down here in South Florida. They started using meat lockers and blocks of ice to help. You would just hang the gutted carcass over the smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWelshBoy View Post
    Wow a lot of key board warriors out there!!

sorry if you feel i wasted your time, at the end of the day you didn't need to post on this thread if it wasn't relevant... but i guess that's just yanks being yanks...

to be honest i just wanted some good information and insight from people over the pond but i guess its hard to get past the 'greatest country on earth' bull**** ego you've all got going on

and FYI i thought i would underline above what actual trolling was because you sure as **** don't know much about it.... someone posting on a forum asking questions and answering questions that he/she has been asked and hoping to get some good answers (which by the way i did so thanks to those who have help) isnt really trolling.
    bottom line is, if your parent/grandparents are from a farm and you lived there it tells me you learned nothing if you have to ask all these basic questions, and it also says you have no basic plan for prepping, you want to travel well come to north america. south america, Australia etc etc throw on a pack and go exploring till you find a place you like. its that simple .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheWelshBoy View Post
    Wow a lot of key board warriors out there!! I have personally met several of the people on here. All kinds of different backgrounds. You are getting good solid advice and people here are trying to get you to screw your head on straight so you don't hurt/kill yourself doing the very things that we enjoy doing.

sorry if you feel i wasted your time, at the end of the day you didn't need to post on this thread if it wasn't relevant... but i guess that's just yanks being yanks...Really? You ask a question, we give you answers and advice, then you want to argue about it. If you know so much, then why are you asking? Then you want to turn the issue into an insult of country? Wow. Grow up.

to be honest i just wanted some good information and insight from people over the pond but i guess its hard to get past the 'greatest country on earth' bull**** ego you've all got going onYou are getting good information, you just aren't wise enough to realize it. Then out of frustration, you want to turn the issue into an insult of country? Once again..... grow up.

We know trolling. We get it often, and you are flirting with the line. Asking questions and throwing a fit because you don't like the answers can be perceived as trolling. If you don't like it, grow up and accept the answers or move on.

Good luck!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Just because you didn't receive the fawning, glowing, instant gratification answers that you wanted does not mean that you received wrong/bad answers. You have bigger issues than figuring out where to go live primitively/squat for a year. Maybe you'll figure it out - maybe you won't. Quite frankly none of us ego driven, Yank, keyboard commanders could care less. Don't let the door to life hit you in the arse on the way out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Mom and dad send him to school in another country and allow him to vacation in Italy and we have the egos. Go figure.

I thought I provided a darn interesting link. Oh well

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    I thought I provided a darn interesting link. Oh well

Actually you did......preservation of meat has been a very important to mankind since the first large animal was brought down....or more likely scavenged.
    All this food, what to do with it?........What are we gonna do?

I really don't think there was a lot of thought by the OP as "bugging out" by nature means getting away from something.....there for leaving most of the processing equipment and supplies behind.

To say nothing of the time it would take to stalk, kill, clean, process and larger animal that can't be consumed in a couple of meals.

You would need to stop, and spend time to do so, to say nothing of a the meat smelling smoke or the smell of meat drying in the sun....with constant attention to keeping flies, and larger predators looking for a free meal.

Do you want the attention during a bug out?......I wouldn't.....I want to move fast, away from what ever caused me to leave most of my "good stuff" I can't carry, behind in the first place.

Smoking, drying, pickling, curing, freezing in caches, even burying, may well be planed for and done in long term.....Never going back scenario, but choosing to live here.......................Or in the case of most all native peoples,....being nomadic to take advantage of resources,........and leave the stink behind for a year.

Too many movies, TV, and homemade You tubes.......too little going out and trying it out.

Besides smoking fish, is really hard to keep lit.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-12-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Pork seems particularly time consuming to preserve. 2 weeks of brining.. Then the materials. Enough salt to float a good egg in the brine. That's a lot. Not an "on the move" procedure.

I think I would grab a bag of jerky......

Pork is impossible to preserve. I eat it too fast to keep it.

Ohhhhhhhhhh......can I play? Huh, Rick.......Crash.....can I, Can I....HUH, HUH????? Hahahaha.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhh......can I play? Huh, Rick.......Crash.....can I, Can I....HUH, HUH????? Hahahaha.
    Too late....LOL \......troll went back under the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    HAHAHAH see you miss out on all the fun !!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Too late....LOL \......troll went back under the bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    HAHAHAH see you miss out on all the fun !!!
    Dang it. (sigh)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have used sun drying for veggies....never meat.....meat has always been with a smoker or smoke house.

Has been done for 1000's of years...
    Check this out.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...at-in-the-wild
    `

Odd I think you nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We are going around in circles here, and that is the point of the thread, unacceptable answers to an impossible question.

This is the norm for British survival forums. I am active on several of them and face this kind of attitude on almost every thread whether it deals with small holdings/crofting (what we call homesteading), food storage or weapons selection. A constant whining series of "I want/but what if/that's not good enough/you can't really expect me too../I already knew that",,, and the final finish off insult of "I expected better from a survival forum filled with experts!"

Their norm is what we refer too as "trolling".

What they call trolling is someone making a decisive statement and backing it up with references, which they dismiss because it ends the argument. Because of this they hate for Americans to join their forums and treat them with contempt, insults and abuse. I take part in the British forums just to irritate them with common sense answers they can not think of themselves.

The British "prepper" is never satisfied with the present situation no matter how perfect it might be. He is always looking for a better place, with fewer laws, no people, an endless food supply,,,,and someone else is always supposed to find it for them!

"Tell me/show me/take me to/find me a place...", much like our ROTTW threads except more whiney.

The ones that are the most secure in their situations, the most self reliant and the best bushcrafters do not refer to themselves as either survivalists or preppers, just small holders, apartment dwellers with some emergency gear or enthusiastic outdoorsmen. The last place they will be caught is a British survival forum.

Just ask Winnie. She has been laying low through this discussion!

Ditto
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Banned

Wow! Lots of unnecessary personal attacks on this thread from folks on both sides of the pond.

If a person for whatever reason was attempting primitive living and wanted to simply preseve some amimal meat: a simple smoker can work fairly well but is time consuming and flies and scavengers are a constant problem. I once saw a young bull steal piccary meat from a indigenous man's smoker and eat it. The man was very angry and twisted the bull's head while beating it. I could be remembering wrong but I think he called it a troll... but my knowledge of his language was minimal at the time.

The Portuguese have been salting and sun drying fish for over 1000 years. Then they soak it before eating, typically cook with rice and beans. It was never a favorite of mine as a kid but I like it now. Good for backpacking.

Be sure to pack some Imodium A.D. it can give you a sour stomach especially if you dried it yourself. TMI!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Mom and dad send him to school in another country and allow him to vacation in Italy and we have the egos. Go figure.
    I have never been to Italy... uh we all have egos....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907