Thread: Michigan morel mushrooms

Default Michigan morel mushrooms

Went out in the Hudson area today and found a few dryad saddles but have yet to find any morels. I've read all the tips just can't seem to find any.

does Frankenmuth sound familiar it's in the thumb of the state on the cass river where i picked them before.

Man I wish they grew in FL.

You and me both...only ones I found were about 10 years ago and it was before I was comfortable eating ID'd.....meanwhile I see my friend posting pictures like this from a couple hours north of me...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Growing up in IA, I used to find them all the time. My mom would batter them up and fry them. Man those things are tasty...... I don't have the time to specifically mushroom hunt, but if I go for a day hike or hunting in the fall and I come across some I am sure to grab them up.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Tell me about it. I see people finding loads. I'd like to find one. I consider myself somewhat of an avid outdoorsman but can't find these things for the life of me.

What time of year hayshaker?

Look for dead elm trees.....at least that's where I find them.
    For the last 10 years many, many elms died.....all about the same size....and the morels seemed to favor the area around the root system.
    Now that they have been dead and fallen down....seems less.

Friend said old oaks is another place to check.

Most I have found by just sitting down....and lest my eyes just scan.....they seem to jump out at you, where they haven't been before.

Had some last night, cooked with a big sliced onion in butter....cooked in tin foil on the grill with shish kebab's
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

cooked in tin foil on the grill
    You sacrificed your hat for dinner?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

....Got a lot of foil.......JIC......very useful item......

Morels are one of those mystic things that finds comes with hours of tramping around, keep your senses open, and building a knowledge base thru your life.

Had a local guy stop on the road, at "The Place"....was picking in the ditch just off the road, next to a larger dead .

Rode the 4 wheeler over to see what he was doing.....and he basically had an altitude that as long as it was the "right of way" of the township road....that I had no business challenging him and his buddy, LOL.
    So I just told them to have at....I now knew of a good spot close by the cabin......and the type of terrain where they were being found.

So I just started following the guys down the road, noting were they stopped....showing me where their "spots" were.....and reminded them that the right of way was open season to anyone picking......LOL
    Kinda backfired on the local yokel.

BYW seems the Morels are coming out about when the dandelions are blooming "in the yard"....near foundations doesn't count.
    Much like asparagus.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That is a realy nice haul of morels.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Just finished eating some a little while ago. Found those yesterday and more over the last week. I have ONE spot where I find them each year. Nobody knows where it's at but me! Books are written about them and how to find them. You are in a nice state for them, BTW. For some cool info on Morels check out morelmania.com.
    p
    .s.: Don't know about dead elms but been finding mine around live Maples!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

i remember the people i was staying with were picking them under large pine trees . they seemed to grow in patches. oh the town
    was north of frankenmuth.

I wish you guys would send a bunch of them to Washington, DC......they could certainly use an infusion of morals. Wait.......oh, you're talking about mushrooms......never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel