Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well pump keeps running

Well pump is constantly running with no loss of prime or air tank pressure while off. The pressure gauge on the pump is non-operational. Water pressure at the tap is good.

1/2 Horsepower 2 line jet pump set up for 220 volts with full voltage to the pressure switch. A new 30/50 pressure switch was installed along with making sure that the tubing for the pressure switch and path into the pump were not clogged. The old pressure switch appeared to be fine.

The tank was removed and the air pressure testing showed 28 psi. The air tank will hold a higher psi with no pressure drop. Filling the tank to 65 psi did not make the pump turn off. Running the pump with the tank installed would not increase the psi of the tank beyond the standard 28 psi.

A shut off ball valve was installed immediately after the tank to rule out a leak after the well housing. No water is seen or heard dripping from pump or well pipes.

The pump and attached well pipes were removed and no visible signs of damage were observed. The jet/foot valve where placed down hill with the pump uphill and the pump filled with water. No water was observed leaking.

A Schrader valve was installed onto the pump. Compressed air was applied to the schrader valve and the driver water pipe quickly popped off of the jet. This could have been because of too much water was left in the pump so that there wasn't enough of an air bubble to compress. The driver water pipe was pressed back on by hand since it was noticed that the hose clamp was broken and compressed air again applied. The system was pressurized to 43 psi. The system would slowly lose pressure. Several minutes were required for the psi to drop one pound. Once the system reached 39 psi there was no more pressure loss. Picking up the jet/foot valve caused a rush of air to escape from the suction pipe and the hose clamp on the suction pipe broke.

At this time I can only think of two possible causes.

1) The pump is too weak to raise the water pressure beyond 28 psi even though plenty of water is being delivered inside the home. A new pump may be needed.

2) The hose clamps on the jet assembly were bad and not clamping the pipe to the assembly well enough. Water was leaking out at the jet assembly under pressure and vibration caused by the pump running. When the pump was not running and the pressure and vibrations dropped to levels that allowed the pipes to seal well enough so that prime was not lost. Possibly cutting the two pipes shorter to expose “non-stretched” pipe and new hose clamps to prevent leakage.
    Last edited by RangerXanatos; 05-11-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

a new gauge is 7 to 8 dollars. also on a jet pump there is a pressure regulator adjustment. this usually consists of a bolt coming out of the pump. this bolt can be adjusted up or down. I can't really say which way to adjust. I usually tweak it a little bit and watch for changes on the gauge. The pressure will either go up or down. sometimes that is all it takes.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Thanks guys! Especially randyt!

Turned out fire ants got into the motor with the wires and shorted something out. Cleaned them out and it worked just like it was supposed to. We also confirmed our suspicions of silty water on the pipes being in contact with the well bottom. Cut off 5 feet and hoping to have much clearer water.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Good deal....and really glad you came back with the solution, ...so many times we never get a solution.
    Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

that's awesome, whodathunkit
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

ah a typical flamshooter yer pipe scrapple was all shot, ever see the commercial for the united plumbers council.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You didn't need a plumber, you needed an exterminator!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We've had fireants get in the pressure switch several times before but this was the first time of them getting into the motor. They must really like electricity.
    ~Rocky Balboa