Thread: what is the best survival knife.. Joking but I do want input on a knife for a 9yo

Default what is the best survival knife.. Joking but I do want input on a knife for a 9yo

I want to buy my son A fixed blade knife Since he will be going hunting again this year and I think he is ready for a fixed blade . He shows good skill and safety with the lock blade he has.
    I am leaning towards a Mora but would like to get others thoughts as well.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I have a crash blade, it has held up well...... just saying
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Take a look at the Mora 511. They make it for a while then stop then start making it again because it's so popular. It's a smaller Mora with a pretty substantial finger guard. The 511 is carbon. The 546 is the same knife in stainless if you want to go that way. $10 for the carbon a couple of bucks more for the stainless plus shipping. If you want something that looks a little more traditional then look at the Mora 601 or 611. It's the same knife as the Mora #1 but has a double and single finger guard respectively. Less than $20 plus shipping for either.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I second the Mora recommendation.

If he loses or damages the Mora there is no big financial setback. If he keeps it he has a tool that will last forever.

Even if he buys an expensive custom knife at some point the Mora will probably be in the pack as a back up knife.

I have a couple of Crashblades, Pumas, Bucks, Gerbers, Case and Boker knives, and knives I have forged myself, but there is a box containing a dozen Moras in my storage room. I bought them many years ago when the price for the Clipper was $5. I wanted to insure that if the kids and grandkids ever had to make the run for the border and come to granpa's house there would be a good knife for everyone.

I also confiscate the Old Hickory and Old Forge butcher knives from the kitchen on occasion. They are the same steel as used in the Moras, or the Marine Kabar and many other well respected blades. Us old buckskinners tend to be flexible in design as long as the steel is good.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You know 20 years from now he will be bragging on his first Mora, as most of us do....
    and if it's from you....Priceless.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I kinda figured it was gonna be a mora, I just wanted to see what ya all thought. And Like always Great minds think alike.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Mora or OKC's Ontario Blackbirddddddddd
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Mora's a good way to go....good knife, not too expensive. They hold a good edge, so if he nicks himself...not saying he will, but if he DOES, it'll heal well.

I get Mora 511's for my kids. The handle is a little bit smaller and there is a good sized finger guard. Plus the blade is a little smaller. It is perfect for kids. That reminds me, I need to buy some more.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Take a look at the new Mora HD Pro series. Wider blade, with a good finger guard and about 2 bucks more than an average Mora - just looks a lot better !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

But what if MY perfect survival knife does not have a wide blade and a finger guard?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Then it would have a narrow blade and be fingerguardless. I just made up that word. No, really, I did.

Fingerguardless. Just rolls of your tongue.

You can use it if you want. Royalty free.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Then it would have a narrow blade and be fingerguardless. I just made up that word. No, really, I did.
    Absotively !!!!
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I saw what you did there.

These guys have given the knife advice. I just wanted to say "Good job", on raising him right.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I get Mora 511's for my kids. The handle is a little bit smaller and there is a good sized finger guard. Plus the blade is a little smaller. It is perfect for kids. That reminds me, I need to buy some more.
    +1 on this, its what I started my son with at 8.

Beckerhead #360