Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having fun with my work issued iPhone

Default Having fun with my work issued iPhone

So I recently found out that the Apple iPhone I was given at work has an app called "Health" or "Healthkit" on it that you can't shut off.
    It uses the motion sensor in the iPhone 6 to count the steps you run or walk in a day and will also note flights of steps climbed.
    And you can't shut it off!
    Plus you can plug in all your other healthy iDevices and fill out your health history so it is all on your phone.

Well, now Apple has partnered with IBM and Watson Health (you all know Watson, right?)
    On April 13, IBM ..."announced a new dedicated health unit that will deepen its relationship with Apple. The service, called Watson Health, will use the data collected with Apple’s HealthKit and ResearchKit services to provide information to various other companies including Johnson & Johnson and Medtronic."

That didn't take long. Selling out data collected on an app the user cannot shut off without jailbreaking the phone.

So today I took the phone for a run at lunch time. Borrowed my co-worker's dog and clipped it to his collar. We played fetch for a good half hour. I sat at the picnic table. The dog did all the running.

Also, if you shake the phone just right you can trick it into thinking you are running or going up or down steps.
    I'm wondering if a tree branch on a windy day would also do the trick.

Now, I'm not going to do this every day or all day. Don't want any obvious bad data in there. If more people did it, maybe Apple would think twice about giving away collected data that has no opt out, rather than give those that want to participate the option to do so.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/13/apple-ibm-health/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/14/...-health-cloud/

BTW, I occasionally like filling up shopping carts on websites like Amazon and just leaving them too. It's something to do when snowed in or rained out.
    Byte me, Big Data.
    Last edited by LowKey; 05-04-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    So I recently found out that the Apple iPhone I was given at work has an app called "Health" or "Healthkit" on it that you can't shut off.
    It uses the motion sensor in the iPhone 6 to count the steps you run or walk in a day and will also note flights of steps climbed.
    And you can't shut it off!
    Plus you can plug in all your other healthy iDevices and fill out your health history so it is all on your phone.

Well, now Apple has partnered with IBM and Watson Health (you all know Watson, right?)
    On April 13, IBM ..."announced a new dedicated health unit that will deepen its relationship with Apple. The service, called Watson Health, will use the data collected with Apple’s HealthKit and ResearchKit services to provide information to various other companies including Johnson & Johnson and Medtronic."

That didn't take long. Selling out data collected on an app the user cannot shut off without jailbreaking the phone.

So today I took the phone for a run at lunch time. Borrowed my co-worker's dog and clipped it to his collar. We played fetch for a good half hour. I sat at the picnic table. The dog did all the running.

Also, if you shake the phone just right you can trick it into thinking you are running or going up or down steps.
    I'm wondering if a tree branch on a windy day would also do the trick.

Now, I'm not going to do this every day or all day. Don't want any obvious bad data in there. If more people did it, maybe Apple would think twice about giving away collected data that has no opt out, rather than give those that want to participate the option to do so.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/13/apple-ibm-health/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/14/...-health-cloud/

BTW, I occasionally like filling up shopping carts on websites like Amazon and just leaving them too. It's something to do when snowed in or rained out.
    Byte me, Big Data.
    LOL, like your thinking.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Go to Home Depot. Think...paint can shaker. That should really confuse them.

LOL, That's a great story.

HVAC company I was working for gave phone with a tracking GPS to my boss......we were kinda at a lot site all day, but he was supposed to supervise several sites.

Being a techie and a smart guy, he transferred all call to his personnel phone....then taped the work phone/GPS to the side of the delivery truck, that ran all over southeastern all day delivering parts and materials.

This went on for a week or so....until the office figured out he was kinda spoofing the system....LOL

Guess great minds work alike.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

we must learn to embrace our slavery freedom is only in the mind
    we all have been slaves since 1871. there are good slaves and bad slaves
    but were all slaves none the less.

Perhaps you are. I'm not and have never been. I have no intentions of becoming one either. Perhaps you should move to North Korea, Sudan, Somalia or Uzbekistan. Then you would have a sound basis for appreciating what you have as well as a good understanding of what freedom is.

as for embracing our slavery i was kidding, i guess you missed the humor.

You should be able to turn those off. Go to settings, privacy, motion and fitness and turn them off.

A 2 dimensional medium does that some times. In that case, Buhahahahaha!

Rick, you know, I thought about the paint shaker. We have one in the shop but the speed isn't slow enough.

Thanks for the privacy settings.
    You can't delete the app though.
    It is still just wrong of Apple to send the data that people are putting on their private phones anywhere, so the idea is to make them think twice about it without an opt-in.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

I have a 5C and my app was never activated by me and says "no data" for any period. Did you activate it originally?
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Nope. For the iPhone 6 it is automatic and can't delete.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

It's automatic and Turned On as the Default on the iPhone 6.

Buy an Android and don't worry about it.......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Phone? didn't know you can have fun with the phone..lol...I usually have it turned off...hahahahahahahahaha
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Yeah, my personal phone is an old tiny flip phone with no camera for less than $40 per month. I wouldn't have the iPhone at all if it weren't bought and paid for by my boss. $145 a month or more for an internet connected phone? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Yeah, my personal phone is an old tiny flip phone with no camera for less than $40 per month. I wouldn't have the iPhone at all if it weren't bought and paid for by my boss. $145 a month or more for an internet connected phone? No thanks.
    I agree with you. The only reason I got one is the wifey wanted one, all married guys know where that goes...... Now that I have one, I do find it rather useful. Still a little pricey IMHO.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Old flip phones here as well....Actually had to buy a "new old flip phone" for DW....dropped the old one...
    That has a camera ....PITA to get the pic's off, ....so far.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

IF I had an iPhone 6 and the jogging meter were turned on it would forever read....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Actually mine said I run about .3 miles per day on average. I haven't run anywhere in years.