Thread: G'day from down under!

Default G'day from down under!

Hi Everybody!
    It's my pleasure to join you all here today with my introductory post to tell you a bit about myself. I'm a small town quebec boy who has been living down in New Zealand for a few years now.. but don't worry, I'll be back! In 2016 to be exact. At that time I will be returning home from a 5 year posting in NZ with my wife. I have spent a good chunk of my life working as a fancy-a$$ chef. But I realized a few years back that something was missing...what could it be? oh yeah...SUNSHINE. working in a professional kitchen is an 80-100 a week kind of gig, not very good for an active outdoorsy fella like myself. So I gave it all up, I studied here in NZ as a professional outdoor instructor a few years back and pretty much spend all my time out-of-doors. I have a big passion for wilderness survival/ preparedness as well as canoeing, camping, hunting (with a bow), and basically all things bushcraft.
    I have recently started my own youtube channel that is slowly growing (Robert Noel under "channels" search).
    Here is a link to the intro video I did when I started it. A bit about my ethos and background as well as what I will get to talking about etc...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Z64-3mlRg
    I have a "trainer" level certification in leave no trace camping.
    I manage an arial obstacle course down here called *********t...Even starred in the TV add:
    ******REMOVED LINK****************
    When I get back to Canada I aspire to train hard to get up to scratch on the Canadian wilderness and hope to be able to open a small school where others can learn a bit about getting outdoors and feel safe in the knowledge that they have the skills to not only survive, but to thrive.
    Well thats me rambling on again...hope to learn and contribute much to this forum.
    Cheers
    Robert

Welcome home. I removed the name and link of your obstacle course. Advertising is considered spam and violates the rules. The YouTube channel on your introduction is fine. The other had the website and telephone number embedded and was only an advert so it was deleted. You, however, welcome to add it to your signature.

Hi Lechef, have you picked up the Kiwi Accent yet? "Fush n chups" etc?

By the way is it possible to change the capital 'D' to a "G' in your subject heading, it reads really weird, but we all know what you really mean. :-)

I fixed it.

Not sure what you changed about the subject heading, did I get the d and g backwards? that happens when I type sometimes. lol ... Yeah I have a few accent pickups, combined with my french canadian/irish accent it makes for a bit of a conversation piece in its own right. Sorry bout the inadvertent advert... won't happen again.
    Cheers

Welcome from GA!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

It was D'Day and I changed it to G'Day. No biggey. Just trying to help.

good on ya digger welcome home

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska. Hope to hear more from you.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Virginia.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a good solid plan! I am very interested in your "leave no trace" trainer certification. Where did you get it? Hope you enjoy the information and the company here. I look forward to hearing more about how you are doing.

Welcome Mate!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Hello.......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey DSJohnson,
    While living in New Zealand here I went from being a chef to a trained outdoor instructor (multiple sports and activities) , with the "leave no trace" camping there are 3 levels of cert. 1st is simply taking a one day course on the 7 values of LNT, 2nd is a trainer certification which is a 2 day/1 night more full on exploration of the LNT values. It is a 3/4 day classroom discussion etc... followed by an overnight of practical skills evaluation etc... And a little certificate at the end to say that I am recognized by LNT to direct the 1 day course for others. 3rd is of course to be able to traine the instructors. It isn't a rocket science course; but since I was changing careers I thought I might as well grab as many quals as I could. SO i have advanced outdoor first aid, LNT, NZOIA rock leader, NZOIA bushwalking, high ropes instructor and high ropes advanced skills and standards. Plus my outdoor instructing diploma for rock climbing, abseil, sea kayak, river kayak, bushwalking.
    And I spend all my spare time bowhunting, as you can imagine I can get up to some pretty nifty adventures when I put my mind to it.
    -Rob