Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Treatment

Default Water Treatment

Have any of y'all ever gotten sick while using Iodine to treat "raw" water? Do you use the liquid 2% stuff or tablets? Thank you. The thread about the Sawyer just got me to thinking about treating raw water and I am curious what your responses will reveal.

I have not, but I've been very lucky. Many, many years ago while hiking in the Olympic Mountains (Washington) I was only using iodine tabs to treat the water. This was my first hike in Washington State. The water was clean and crisp. On the way down the mountain, headed back to the trail head I spotted a sign that was mostly obscured that read. "Boil water! Water may contain Giardia which causes explosive diarrhea." I had nightmares about that sign for a week or so "waiting" for the symptoms to kick in. Thankfully they never did.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have had not problems. I carry Potable Aqua as a backup. It's Tetraglycine Hydroperiodide, which is a form of iodine. Each pill releases 8 Mg of iodine when added to water. I have used it when my filter clogged. It doesn't kill Crypto cysts so it is a bit risky.

Mostly have used the tablets.....bought a bottle of liquid for the kits haven't used it.....more for the duel purpose of disinfectant and water treatment.
    Haven't had a problem...yet....tabs have a taste as I would imagine the liquid does.

I'm a water boiler........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am reading Medicine for the Outdoors by Dr. Paul Auerbach. Very good section on water treatment.

Blog Entries

Haven't used Iodine in years, but when I did, I never got sick from bad water. I keep some liquid Iodine for the same reasons as Hunter.
    These days I generally use Aquatabs (NaDCC, Sodium troclosene) which releases chlorine.

I'd like a Sawyer mini, but they are quite expensive over here.
    Last edited by Winnie; 05-08-2015 at 03:36 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I agree with Hunter. I prefer water boiling as well. I have used the tablets, the onespecially that have the second set of tablets to neutralize the taste help but still have a bit of a taste.

Melting snow/ice is the best taste, boiling water from a moving source is the next best, IMO.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have avoided using the iodine tablets since I left the Army. Not due to any aversion except that opening the bottle starts the shelf life decay and I am too stingy to throw away a partial bottle that the Army is not paying for!

Over the years my most favored method has been carrying a small bottle I bought from the pharmacist with the little glass dropper on the screw on lid. Three drops of chlorine bleach per quart has always done the trick and I have suffered no problems, ever. The little bottle will hold enough bleach for a week of water and the cost is basically nothing.

I now use the Sawyer mini. I have had no problems while using it. Have also used the Lifestraw with no ill effects. Very cost efficient per liter and no shelf life or proper dosage to worry over.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I used iodine crystals a long time ago. Now I use chlorine dioxide tablets if I use tablets. Mostly I use the sawyer filter. By the way, raw water is good for you. It is the water with nasties that isn't so great.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Use 8 grams of resublimated iodine crystals in a one ounce glass bottle. Fill bottle with water and let sit for 20 - 30 minutes then pour only the liquid into one quart of untreated water and let sit for 30 minutes. The crystals can be used over and over to treat thousands of gallons of water ! Never been sick from iodine but I hear some folks are sensitive to it.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Never been sick from iodine but I hear some folks are sensitive to it.
    Yes, do not use if you are allergic to shellfish.......

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Use 8 grams of resublimated iodine crystals in a one ounce glass bottle. Fill bottle with water and let sit for 20 - 30 minutes then pour only the liquid into one quart of untreated water and let sit for 30 minutes. The crystals can be used over and over to treat thousands of gallons of water ! Never been sick from iodine but I hear some folks are sensitive to it.
    This is the method the late Ron Hood likes to use. Though he only let the water in the ounce bottle stay in for few seconds after shaking. The water will only take so much of the iodine and leaving the water in longer doesn't help. Doesnt hurt either so whatever you feel comfortable with.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Until recently, I was unaware of the SODIS (solar disinfection) method of killing pathogens in drinking water by using sunlight and clear plastic bottles (PET plastic is recommended) to help disinfect water. This method may be a good supplement to filters, boiling and chemical treatment. A lot of information on this method is availale on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    Until recently, I was unaware of the SODIS (solar disinfection) method of killing pathogens in drinking water by using sunlight and clear plastic bottles (PET plastic is recommended) to help disinfect water. This method may be a good supplement to filters, boiling and chemical treatment. A lot of information on this method is availale on the internet.
    Good luck with that.

I can think of no better medium for culture growth than a plastic bottle of contaminated water baking in the sun. That is on a par with the old deal of water running over seven rocks being pure.

If UV rays would purify the water it would have purified it in the pond where you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Good luck with that.

I can think of no better medium for culture growth than a plastic bottle of contaminated water baking in the sun. That is on a par with the old deal of water running over seven rocks being pure.

If UV rays would purify the water it would have purified it in the pond where you got it.
    Gee, it is good to see I am not the only one who thinks like that.....

Actually, it does work. It pasteurizes the water, which is just as good as disinfection. It isn't the UV rays that kill the pathogens it's raising the temperature and sustaining it over a set period of time. Milk is pasteurized in the same way. Water pasteurization is gaining ground throughout the third world because it reduces the need for both wood collection and burning. The key is knowing what the internal temperature is and how long that temperature is maintained. In sub Saharan Africa that isn't a problem. In the Danial Boone National Forest that's a whole other ball game. Typically, a soy bean wax is used inside the bottle to indicate when the correct temperature has been reached. Once it melts you know it's hot enough. The wax is referred to as a Water Pasteurization Indicator or WAPI. Google "WAPI Water" and you'll get a ton of hits.

I use the iodine crystal method.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Actually, it does work. It pasteurizes the water, which is just as good as disinfection. It isn't the UV rays that kill the pathogens it's raising the temperature and sustaining it over a set period of time. Milk is pasteurized in the same way. Water pasteurization is gaining ground throughout the third world because it reduces the need for both wood collection and burning. The key is knowing what the internal temperature is and how long that temperature is maintained. In sub Saharan Africa that isn't a problem. In the Danial Boone National Forest that's a whole other ball game. Typically, a soy bean wax is used inside the bottle to indicate when the correct temperature has been reached. Once it melts you know it's hot enough. The wax is referred to as a Water Pasteurization Indicator or WAPI. Google "WAPI Water" and you'll get a ton of hits.
    Then it should be safe to fill that bottle up with tunafish salad and let it sit in the sun all day???

Pasteurizing is a delicate process requiring close monitoring of temperatures and cleaning of the equipment used for the process.

Your vitamin D pasteurized milk is not done in plastic jugs sitting in the sun al day.

And this process is not used by any of the people I have known who have spent years at mission stations in sub Saharan Africa. They boil theirs, then run it through a Berkley, then add bleach.

Sure. You can even let mayonnaise sit in the sun all day then eat your fill. You might want to do some research on it. Or not. Up to you. Having one more tool in the toolbox seems like a good thing to me but maybe not.

Plus you are dealing with a small bottle of water at a small depth. A pond surface will not reach the same temperature as the water in the bottle because of thermal exchange with the larger volume of water beneath it.