Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Alone."

Blog Entries

Cool "Alone."

Enter the History channel's latest brainless attempt at a survival show: Alone. 10 guys who are isolated from each other and dropped off at different places at Vancouver Island, completely isolated from each other and are considered very experienced outdoor experts. they get to keep their clothes and judging from how cold it gets they're going to need them. They get to pick 10 items and the idea is that the last man standing will get the grand prize of $500,000! I went to the History channel website and read the items list and bio for each person, At least half of them took a bow with 6 arrows as one of their items. They all took a ferro rod but hardly any of them could actually start a fire given the extreme wet conditions of Vancouver Island. I don't know if these guys have been vetted or not to see if they actually have done what they claim but I suspect the youngest one, Sam Larson, lied to get on the show. He's very immature and if it were up to me I'd slice him up for fish bait! Anyway there are predators roaming the Island; bears, Cougars, and wolves, and these guys are completely alone, filming themselves. After only the 1st night one of them, Josh, tapped out because two bears were coming right up to his lean-to and he feared for his life. And, you guessed it, none of these guys thought to bring bear spray as one of their items. Josh had a bow and six arrows but didn't nock a one. I wonder if the producers are really watching these guys from hiding because, if not, and one of the contestants gets hurt or killed...well, all's I can say is that I do hope the producers liability insurance is paid up!....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 06-25-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I thought it was pretty interesting. I was pretty smug watching it since it's my environment but warmer and less rain.LOL

I was frankly amazed the one guy got a fire going with just sparks.

I'll continue to watch it because I'm curious to know what these folks learning curve is. Shelter needs to be expanded to actual fencing to keep the bear away or limit their approaches. This guys really need to focus on the ocean as a food source. Most tasty vegetables are also near the beach. Trails encircle all islands is a series of three. One is the beach, one is just into the bush, and one is on the top of the first rise in terrain and/or crosshill 50-100 m off the beach. There's many trails but those are a constant.

The guy who started the fire is also the only one to procure food, so he's doing OK in my book.

$500,000 is no joke. That is worth a great deal of risk. I would not be surprised if it took 6 months to a year to wind up the show. It appears each episode lasts till someone quits.

As far as survival shows go, I like it. No camera crews, no help, the player selects his kit.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Cool Here's the thing...

The government will get at least half of that $500,000. Turns out they do have bear spray. I think that they may have been equipped with that and a 1st aid kit of some kind. They lost another one tonight, scared of wolves. I agree about the beach and the fence. I wonder if they'll figure it out?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I like it and after trying to start a fire under semi-humid conditions (nothing compared to what they are trying to do) I can say it is VERY difficult

Most tasty vegetables are also near the beach.
    And in my experience most of the bears also. Really, continued harassment and making sure they never get any food off of you is the only solution I know that ends well for the bears.

I'll check out the show when I get the chance.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Cool Here's the thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    I like it and after trying to start a fire under semi-humid conditions (nothing compared to what they are trying to do) I can say it is VERY difficult
    All 10 of these guys were/are lauded as "experts." Yet hardly any of them can start a fire in wet conditions? Instead of just a ferro rod they might have considered a mag block. It starts a fire so well under bad weather conditions that even the Air Force includes it in the pilot's survival vest. Also a possible detriment to having bears visit your camp is to urinate all around it, marking that area as your own. I saw a "Survivorman" episode where Les did that. It can help. Once they get a fire started they can make spears out of long branches and harden the tips in the fire. Two "killers" in solo survival are "Fear and Loneliness." Two men have tapped out so far, the 2nd one is, according to my wife, a seasoned outdoorsman who has authored books on the subject. Another thought, one of these "experts" has already lost his ferro rod... According to their list of 10 items everyone has chosen 550 cord so why not make a lanyard for the ferro rod and hang it around your neck? The main gripe I have is limiting these guys to just 10 items. Nobody would go into this type of locale with that little of gear normally. Hooray for Discovery's producers who's survival experience is apparently limited to trying to survive a "Black Friday" crunch at their local Wally World!...

p.s.: Props to the guy who brought a canvas tarp and made the Tipi!... And yes I'll keep watching, I'm a glutton for punishment.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is the first one I have had any interest in after the first episode. Usually I sicken and change channels during episode #1.

It is amazing to see the big bad survivalist man cry because he is scared of the dark.

The cop and the hippie are already gone. There will be another big exit at about day 7 for the ones that are not identifying food resources and/or are using raw water.

We'll know the winners when they get past water and food supply and start building long term hard shelters and the tarps become shelter roofs rather than shelters. Once they get to that point the only thing that would take them out is illness, injury or insanity.

Some of their levels of intolerance for being alone is amazing. Perhaps it is just because I live alone and go for days without seeing another individual, but these guy are wimping out for lack of company after 3 days!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Really? At 3 days, I'm just getting settled in nicely.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Cool Here's a thought...

I thought it might be more interesting to have caches of food, water, and extra gear buried on the island and each man has a compass and a map with the cache location marked. If they can find it they can better their lot.

Yes, Kyrat, I agree with you on the two that left. I've oft-times heard it said that the two greatest enemies of solo survival are "fear & loneliness," these two proved that saying right....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We'll know the winners when they get past water and food supply and start building long term hard shelters and the tarps become shelter roofs rather than shelters.
    That's spot on thinking. If they're having substantial prowling bear problems, it might be at least as well to prioritize it further, so they manage to keep what food supply they can procure, while helping to nip a threat to it in the bud.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Canid, you are right about the bear on the beach, but, I don't think they really are on the beaches more than the bush. It's just that they are easier to see in the open. They will hang out at creeks where salmon spawn at the edge of salt and fresh water. Bear don't care for salt water in their mouths any more than humans do.

I missed last nights. I'll see if I can find it and watch it today.

1stimestar, hahaha, yeah.

I would dislike the loneliness a great deal. I'd have to make some sort of "Wilson" to talk to.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Compared to most shows I am at least interested in this one. Looking at the list of what each man took it seems they may of had to choose from a set supply. I don't think I would want my choices limited to what some producer thinks I should have. From reading their Bios, which sounds like they wrote them themselves, I would have expected more than I have seen so far. I thought I saw bear spray on the hip of one guy and am relieved that were supplied FAKs. It bothered me that it wasn't on any list.

I could nit-pick every little thing they've done but I prefer to watch and enjoy and sometimes learn from their experiences. Plus I haven't walked in their shoes as far as doing something like that. But I can tell you this, if I was invited to the show I would have 500,000 reasons to NOT tap out and that alone is enough for me to go hungry, thirsty, eat slugs, or just about anything else to win.

Blog Entries

Cool Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    I could nit-pick every little thing they've done but I prefer to watch and enjoy and sometimes learn from their experiences. Plus I haven't walked in their shoes as far as doing something like that. But I can tell you this, if I was invited to the show I would have 500,000 reasons to NOT tap out and that alone is enough for me to go hungry, thirsty, eat slugs, or just about anything else to win.
    Actually, after "Uncle Sugar" gets through you'd only have about 250,000 reasons to stay on. But why stop there? You can apply to be on the next series on the History channel's web site. You'd have the WSF members rooting for you all the way!...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Actually, after "Uncle Sugar" gets through you'd only have about 250,000 reasons to stay on. But why stop there? You can apply to be on the next series on the History channel's web site. You'd have the WSF members rooting for you all the way!...:wavy:
    I live in NJ and own a business, I already give close to 50% when all taxes are combined so I'm used to it. But I don't get close to earning $500,000 yet...

Rooting for me??? You knuckleheads would be taking bets guessing which one is really me and busting my chops to no end, even after I won. Then you would be asking to borrow some money.

Dang it, he's figured us out.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Dang it, he's figured us out.
    It was worth a shot!...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I never could figure out the survival mentality that gripped about getting $250K because hey had to give $250K to the tax man.

It's still $250k you did not have when you got off the airplane!

I never made $500K in one year in my whole life and would be glad to pay 50% taxes on it!

They will be "survivors" when they start viewing the animals they now fear as a food resource.

I say eat the bear and make a sleeping robe out of his hide, skin the wolf and make a coat out of him. They should have brought bigger cooking pots!

Wolf makes a good meal!

Not to be "nit picking" but when you find out that you have set up camp 30 yards from the den of a she bear with cubs, and you stay there you have an outdoor knowledge shortfall going on. You just do not do that! If you do not want the cubs sleeping in your bed you better move.

I think that guy was just along for the trip and never intended to make it more than a day or possibly two if things were perfect.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-26-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I used to work with guys that would not work overtime because they had to pay more taxes. Well, yeah, that's sort of how it works. It was a bonanza for me though. I got all the overtime I wanted and then some.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Not to be "nit picking" but when you find out that you have set up camp 30 yards from the den of a she bear with cubs, and you stay there you have an outdoor knowledge shortfall going on. You just do not do that! If you do not want the cubs sleeping in your bed you better move.

I think that guy was just along for the trip and never intended to make it more than a day or possibly two if things were perfect.
    Yep! That's my thinking also!... Looks like we now have a new show we can comment on!...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin