Thread: Hottest year on record for the world but mild for much of USA

Banned

Default Hottest year on record for the world but mild for much of USA

While Bandar Mahshahr, Iran near the Persian Gulf reached what may be a world record high heat index of 165F degrees (115F actual temp) and the world as a whole had record high temperature averages, Texas and much of the mid USA was fairly mild this summer and since the beginning of the year. Only recently did we get over 100F.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-world-record/

In Baghdad, Iraq they are more concerned about the lack of electricity for AC in extreme heat than ISIS invading.

BTW more people die of heat exhaustion in the USA every year than from the Cold and Flooding combined. So stay hydrated in the shade if possible while out hiking or whatever.

For July 2015 Global:
    http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/

Globally: "As July is climatologically the warmest month for the year, this was also the all-time highest monthly temperature in the 1880–2015 record, at 61.86°F (16.61°C), surpassing the previous record set in 1998 by 0.14°F (0.08°C)."
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-23-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: heat kills more than cold and floods

We broke several records this year on the amount of rainfall. July was the wettest month on record with over 13 inches. Temps weren't too bad though. We usually have a week of triple digits in August and that hasn't happened. We've been hard pressed to hit 90.

Same here....had a real sweet summer the last few weeks.....storm here and there, but pleasant temps....... 80's were high.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

While that's a good article, the author seems to forget that LANDSAT and Aqua satellites are capable of taking surface temperatures that are extremely accurate. Sat temps are accurate to within ".03 degrees C when compared to regional balloon temps".

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...essd06oct97_1/

Tom's a lobbyist in Ottawa, kind of reads like a Harper-esk crock of you know what.

I worry about the global water tables and other reserves also. All the water still exists, but the hydrologic cycle isn't able to keep up with human consumption. Areas of deep ground water which take decades or so to plenish are getting empty, and the ground on large scales is settling as a consequence. Lake Mead is about empty.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Based on how "classy" the advertisers are of the "washington times" I'm guessing this publication is very credible....

Personally I am not overly concerned about alleged human contributions to the so called "climate change", but mostly on being prepared for the natural and human accelerated disasters that may be made worse by "climate change" such as drought, wildfires, hurricanes, tornados, heat waves (mostly in Europe and Asia recently not the USA). These kill more people and cause more financial damage when people (individuals) and governments (local and federal) are not well prepared.

Therefore having a well stocked food and water supply and plan on what to do, how to escape low lying areas that may flood or burn in a wildfire etc. is far more important than arguing over coal power plants or large trucks vs mass transportation or whatever.

The energy content of the oceans IS increasing, and arctic ice IS melting regardless of what highly credible news networks like the "Washington Times" says. You can go there and see it for yourself. I have been to the Columbia Ice Field in the Rocky mountains several times and walked on it, it is concerning. I have paddled down the Athabasca river. I don't need government agencies telling me anything because I have eyes. If a newspaper writes something that contradicts the facts I reject it.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jas...athabasca.aspx

BTW during the Inter Glacier periods the earth has been warmer and wetter than during the Glacier periods (called Ice age in children's books) when it is over all dryer and colder. But that is over all, but in certain regions it can just be more extreme during the higher energy spike of an Inter Glacier period which we may be on the up swing of now. I.e. drought in one region while extreme floods in another at the same time during Inter Glacier period of high energy.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-25-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: typos

Whatever the cause, whatever the reason, we are in the midst of global weather change. Of course, every generation has been. The earth is not a static globe but an ever changing macro system. Some of our fore fathers were lucky enough to endure brutally cold temperatures for one reason or another. We've been blessed with some pretty primo weather over the last two hundred years. Ya gotta know that can't last.

When you see the likes of Monsanto and Dupont delving into corn production on the northern part of the great plains you almost have to know that the corn belt is moving somwhere.

Banned

I agree Rick. The evidence in the geology and ice core samples suggests that there were some climate extremes far worse than anything in recorded human history many thousands or millions of years ago. The biggest concern I and many others have about carbon based energy production is the air and water pollution. As can be seen in places like Los Angeles this can be greatly reduced in just a few decades if there is a will and a plan for that particular region by the local people living there.
    When I was in 4th grade we lived in Orange County for 9 months. I got a massive headach on bad smog days and every time we drove to LA. But I have heard it is better now. Also I have been back there a few times it did get better. My youngest daughter wants to go there on vacation. I'm like "anywhere in CA but there!" I have friends all over California not LA!!! LOL San Diego, Santa Barbara, Redding...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPick View Post
    When you see the likes of Monsanto and Dupont delving into corn production on the northern part of the great plains you almost have to know that the corn belt is moving somwhere.
    My cousin's son in law works for Monsanto in Northern Alberta, Canada assisting Canola farmers growing their new and improved Canola Seeds in a Warming sub-arctic quasi tundra up there... I avoid the topic to keep family harmony. LOL. Do you cook with Canola oil? ha ha ha ....