Thread: Looking for a Comprehensive Tracking Books (Suitable for a beginner)

Default Looking for a Comprehensive Tracking Books (Suitable for a beginner)

Hi people I wasn't sure where to put this so let me know if there is a more appropriate section.

I'm heading off into Alaska next year and would like to build up a knowledge base of animal tracks and tracking techniques but not sure where to start.
    I appreciate any and all suggestions.

hi Amoral and wecome a good book is peterson field guides (animal tracks) 3rd edition
    has everything from moose to squrriel .

Had this once upon a time. Seemed like a great book. Never was able to full learn and understand a few things.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mammal-Tracks-.../dp/0811726266
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

The Petersons guide is a good one and it was first put together by Olaus Murie who lived in Alaska for a good part of his life.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Why are you going to Alaska? What's the purpose? Are you moving there?

The SAS Guide to Tracking by Bob Carss contains a lot information you may find useful. It opened my eyes.

I plan to travel around Alaska from March (2016) to the end of the year. Staying with friends and people I've met online. The purpose is really to see how it measures up against the mental image I've constructed.

I know this doesn't directly address your request but all books are suitable to a beginner if they are sufficiently motivated and no book is comprehensive if it is aimed at a beginner who is not. This will extend to further reaches of life than merely tracking. It is a valuable perspective whatever your pursuit.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I plan to pick up the Peterson's field guides and the SAS Guide to Tracking to start with.

Not bad places to start.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Not bad places to start.
    Now I just need to maintain the motivation as you pointed out.

I know im a little late here but two authors u cant miss out on are james halfpenny and mark elbrock. my tracking mentor rob speiden from the natural awareness tracking school has a great book out and he also highly endoreses mark elbrock
    good luck
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com