Thread: ever see the USMC FILBE Pack

Default ever see the USMC FILBE Pack

there is a new pack for the USMC it,s been out about a year or so it,s called the filbe
    it is the replacement for the ILBE.it has many extras to add on it, water bladder,
    500ci,sustainment pouches,a recon pack,and other stuff as well. i have just the pack and
    sustainment pouches.in coyote brown.the pack alone is over 5,000ci and with a waist
    and shoulder pad set up thats awesome. dose anyone have one and what are your
    thoughts on this setup.

I don't have one but I can tell you that 5,000 ci would void my warranty. Either that or it would have to be carried in the back of the truck. On second thought, I don't want to lift that much into the truck.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Same here, I have not seen it and do not want to see it.

500ci is nothing but an old fashioned duffle bag with straps on it!

I would have to be for the Marine Corps because the only branch of the Service that would not look at it as say "You're kidding me, right?" would be a Marine.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Not a pack guy either......unless it's in the truck or 4 wheeler.

Just too old to carry anything except myself for any distance.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

look if you mount it on the front of the 4wheeler it gives you traction see.easy peasy.
    seriously when packed it rides very well cause of the padded hip belt and shoulder ajustments.
    besides your packing for camping not Afganistan. big differnce

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hayshaker, for me "packing for camping" means filling up the truck, not being the pack mule.

I think the last backpacking trip I took was to a wilderness area that had specified camp points. I hiked in for about 7 miles and set up camp along with about a dozen other folks scattered over the nice little area.

Just before dark I heard a truck motor approach, then saw a Ranger walk through the camp checking that all the folks that had signed in had arrived for the night without incident.

There was a freekin' paved road up the mountain so the Rangers could drive up to the campground!

It even had a better view than the trail.

Bugs, sweat, dirt, blisters, shoulder straps cutting your arms off, twisted ankles, water at 8 pounds a gallon, fun, fun, fun!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Big bag needed for winter camping. Light stuff - but bulky.
    Last edited by sjj; 08-29-2015 at 04:56 AM.

I agree with sjj. If you are gonna use a ruck and you are going to be warm in the winter it takes a lot of room to carry it all. My ILBE main bag has about 4500 CI and it is full full by the time I put my bag in the bottom and my winter clothes and the rest of my kit. I still end up strapping my tent and sleeping pad to the outside! summer time I can pack much lighter/tighter but I have found as I have gotten older that in real cold I need more cloths and more food and more bedding that I did when I was 25 or even 45. My ruck with all my stuff in it, including fuel and food for two nights and three days weights in at around 55 pounds. trust me that is about 20 pounds more than I like carrying. However I have found I can do better carrying all that stuff, eating right and sleeping warm not just existing and it is a whole lot more fun at the end of the trail.

sjj thats why i like the sustainment pouches you can keep all your lurp rations and T-p THERE
    MY MSS SLEEPING BAG FILLS THE WHOLE BOTTOM.

looks to be a good bag for its intended purpose.
    Last edited by sjj; 08-29-2015 at 04:55 AM.

I agree with that. You have to remember what the surplus bags were designed for and who was using them. They were not intended to be light weight, ergonomically comfortable packs. They were meant to move a LOT of war material from here to there by young, well muscled men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I would have to be for the Marine Corps because the only branch of the Service that would not look at it as say "You're kidding me, right?" would be a Marine.
    I carried a large ALICE pack, however we packed light. My heaviest items were ammo and extra batteries for the radio.
    Anything else that some idiot in charge deemed "Necessary Equipment" got *lost* in the field...
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I have seen it. I have mixed feelings on it.

One thing, it is WAY too expensive right now. Of course, this is because it isn't surplus. But, I can get a REALLY nice bag for the price of a FILBE. If you want a hard core pack that is not $$$$, then look at the MOLLE or ILBE. Both are cheap right now.

It is REALLY heavy. I am never going to carry that much weight anyways, so why have a pack that weighs more than the rest of my gear combined?

The frame is too short... I know, there is a reason for it being short. But, I am not in combat, and I would drop it if I came under contact anyways. For the money, Kifaru or McHale (notice I didn't say MR) make much better packs with much better frame systems for carrying weight.

The hip belt is better than MOLLE. But, you could actually modify the MOLLE belt to be the same...or slap a FILBE belt on a MOLLE pack.

If/when they become surplus, and I can get parts for cheap....I would probably use parts of it. But, I would probably not use the system in it's entirety.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Default A Review

There is a good review of the FILBE vs the ILBE vs the MOLLE vs the ALICE found with comments.
    Do a search for "the-corps-new-ruck-a-review" at breachbangclear website.
    (Am not allowed to post URLs at this time.)

The latest 4th Generation DEI frame is very good. It has been tested to survive a 32fps drop with 80 pounds unlike the earlier polymer frames.
    Last edited by Adventura; 06-15-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

In bugging out there are two types of people. the young, robust, hardy folks who can tote a huge, loaded Ruck anywhere they want to go. The late Colin Fletcher was one of these. His pack wieghed near 80 pounds and he walked all the time....

Then there are guys like us F.A.R.T.s who are lucky if we can get the thing loaded into a vehicle cuz we ain't walkin', we ridin'! Ya see, most of the stuff you see on the boob tube is all about the 1st types, what about the rest of us, huh? How about folks wheelchair bound?......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I rode the short bus when I was a kid. I can ride it when I get to the home.