Thread: Got a new range bag/case- Seahorse SE920 FBL!

Default Got a new range bag/case- Seahorse SE920 FBL!

I had seriously outgrown my old range bag. It didn't have enough room everything I needed at the range and was generally unwieldy to carry around. A few weeks ago I bought a Seahorse SE920 FBL case to set up as a range bag/case, and last night I finally got around to configuring the foam. The case is awesome, pretty large and well made. It has locking latches, very smooth wheels on the bottom and a sturdy extendable handle to use it as a wheeled case. The foam is the "pluck foam" stuff; it's perforated but it works best with a knife to get things started.

All told it took about two hours of carve up the foam. I created "slots" for vertical storage of four guns. I always carry one and it's hard to use a ton of different guns in one range session so I thought that this was a good compromise. This left space to create compartments for my ear pro, eye pro, a few accessories any maybe 500 rounds of ammo. The magazine wells I cut wound up being perfect for the 100 round boxes of that funny, skinny little ammo you used to see at hardware stores- what did they call it? ".22 long rifle" I think. There's just enough room left for targets, target dots and some tape.

Of course, the finishing touch was the application of a couple of HK stickers!

Apologies in advance for the crap in the background, I took this in my basement shop which is kind of cluttered with junk right now.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Down the road I might possibly get another foam insert set. I did a pretty good job carving the foam but having used it once at the range and looking it over I can see some areas I could improve upon. But the foam is gonna be $50 or so and a whole case is only $103 shipped so maybe I'm better off getting another case someday and just repurposing this one.

Still, the case itself is awesome! This is a big step up from the bag I was using. The Seahorse SE920 FBL has well placed handles on two sides making it easier to carry plus wheels- I can't overstate how awesome the wheels are! So much easier to move around and set up.

Sweet. I like it. I like the idea of the hard case with built in handle and wheels a lot! Does it lock up as tight as a Pelican?
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 04-28-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Yeah, tighter than a nun's bum! Really sturdy, too. I have some Pelican cases, mostly smaller ones, and they're great. But the Seahorse is much less expensive and seems to be about as good. I got it at Amazon for $99 with Prime (free shipping). Hard to beat that deal! It's waterproof, has a purge valve, the gaskets are replaceable and the wheels work smoothly. There's a handle that extends up from the back to use it as a wheeled case, and that handle locks securely and seems quite solid. There are fixed handles on the end and on the side so you can carry it vertically or like a suitcase. This is handy, plus it makes it easy to maneuver it in and out of a vehicle, down stairs, etc. Lastly it has a really cool set of built in lock/latches that open with a specially shaped key.

Overall I'm very happy with the case. It's light years better than the old range bag I was using. It holds more while actually being easier to carry and use. Unlike a bag where I have to dig for stuff, once you open this up everything is laid in in full view.

Looks like a winner. Nice job on the set-up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Looks great, nice way to keep everything secure. I noticed you have 22 LR how did ya manage that ????? Those rounds are scarce here.

Most excellent. Sadly, range bags are like backpacks for me. If I have a pickup I have to fill it up to go to the range. I have too many range bags but they all want to go.

Thanks for the review Phaedrus.

Just got back from the range (date day with Mrs Crash) and brought several bags. If I had a bigger one I'm not sure I could lift it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

No range bag for me.

I do same as Rick, back the Cherokee up to the firing line and operate from the tailgate.

And Crash, some of us know Mrs. Crash and we are quite sure that she got more than a trip to the range and a sack of sliders on the way home!

I'll bet there was a nice dinner included in that trip.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-28-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Pretty slick.....Looks like it will serve you well.

I use a aluminum tool case for the range....just General Shooting Stuff ......guns are always separate.

Different set up for ML.

Don't like the weight and the idea of everything in the same case.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    Looks great, nice way to keep everything secure. I noticed you have 22 LR how did ya manage that ????? Those rounds are scarce here.
    They're NOS (new old stock). Luckily I had a pretty good pile of .22lr when they started getting scarce. Still have several thousand rounds.