Thread: Lepidium virginicum

Default Lepidium virginicum

least pepperwort,Virginia pepperweed or peppergrass

This may seem an odd question, but is this found in undisturbed areas in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. or is it mainly a weed in urban areas?
    Last edited by Rick; 05-04-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Restored Post

My understanding is that it is native to almost all of the US. In Florida I find it a lot in all of the areas I visit not just disturbed and urban areas. So it is definitely not just an urban plant.

What do you think of the flavour? is it overpowering like Nasturtium?
    Last edited by Rick; 05-04-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Restored Post

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    What do you think of the flavour? is it overpowering like Nasturtium?
    My experience is that it is mild. I mainly will pluck one out and cut the root off and use my knife to peel it like a carrot and then chew on the root. It has a mild horse radish taste. But, I favor strong horse-radish, radish, mustard flavors. I have never tried Florida Watercress (Nasturtium floridanum).

I want to find more plants in the mustard family on a whole.

Thank you very much for your info, I really appreciate it.

FYI, The flowers of nasturtium, are a little milder than the leaves. Plus they make a leafy salad look pretty, for any lunch/dinner guests.
    Last edited by Rick; 05-04-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Restored Post

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Thank you very much for your info, I really appreciate it.

FYI, The flowers of nasturtium, are a little milder than the leaves. Plus they make a leafy salad look pretty, for any lunch/dinner guests.
    You know I went through all of my wild edible books and only two had Nasturium listed and both were for Nasturium officinale. That plant doesn't occur down here. So, I have never looked for it. But, when I went to see shat Nasturiums occur down here I found the Florida Watercress. So, that is a new edible to add to my OneNote library of edibles. Thanks!

The flowers have an instant sweetness followed quickly by a warm, peppery taste. The leaves are circular and are a perfect fit for your burger. They have a peppery taste as well. Personally, I don't find them over powering but that's obviously a matter of taste.