Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working on your own vehicle illegal?

Default Working on your own vehicle illegal?

Working on your own vehicle illegal?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html

Yeah, I know....sometimes that stuff does kinda makes you want a EMP.......so the old Jeep c-5 will be the only vehicle running...LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It's the trend of things to come. Next, it will be appliances, mowers even your house if it is linked to a computer. If I'm just "borrowing" my car long term I wonder if Akia Toyoda will make the payments? Hmmmm. Maybe I should give him a call....from my car.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Would not affect me at all since I gave up on doing any engine work sometime in the late 1990s.

I have been chasing a simple vacuum leak in the Cherokee for two years and still have not found it!

In fact, the last serious work I did on a vehicle was replacement of the three computer modules on my 1993 Ranger pickup. I did that myself and still had to take it to a "mechanic" for the final tweeking of the parts to get it to run as well as before.

My biggest automotive repair challenge now is finding a mechanic with a good lap top computer so he can properly diagnose the problem and get straight to the solution. The most important piece of equipment in the shop is now made by Apple!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

.....and it's all proprietary information......
    You can't even get a schematic for the fuses on the Ford truck.

Hey Hunter do you remember back in the day when we could stuff a Mopar Hemi into a '56 Chevy and the most difficult electronic decision was how to wire the one lead from the alternator to the wiring harness?

And the only thing EMP could do was mess up the radio signal if you were not using shielded spark plug cables!

Mine was how to wire a '54 Chevy from 6 volt to 12 volt for the V-8.......

Truthfully, I don't work on my trucks these days anyway.....can't without all the computer stuff.

Manual for DW car says "There are 7 thing under the hood that are yellow....If it isn't yellow, you have no business messing with it."

There is a guy down the road that has a 49 Chevy one ton flatbed sitting by the barn that I would love to buy and turn into a rat rod truck. The body has a haze of rust patina bit is still solid. The old 215 is locked up but the frame is still good. Thing is I'm just to old and broken down to start a project like that at this point.

Ten years ago I would have considered it a summer hobby project and done it all outside under the big tree.

Now I would have to hire someone to do 90% of the work.

I hear ya.........LOL

we can still do some things, i just replaced the alternator on my pick up, they are getting more and more complicated all the time though. Too much electronics for my liking I have a 2010 Tacoma, sometimes i wish i had my early 90"s Toyota xtra cab. much easier to work on

What the companies want to do is not allow any work on vehicles by the owner....by law.

I know some people that should not be allowed to own tools let alone actually work on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat! View Post
    I know some people that should not be allowed to own tools let alone actually work on a car.
    Rodger that........

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat! View Post
    On the flip side, I know many techs at shops that shouldn't be allowed near a car. I change my own oil just because every time I take it in for simple stuff like that, the person screws it up. A few months ago, I had to take a car in for a recall. I didn't realize it because they didn't say anything or have signs posted, but they do a complimentary car wash on every vehicle serviced. Guess what happened to the rear bumper cover that was barely hanging on. Yep, ended up dragging it home......

Still upset about that one.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    On the flip side, I know many techs at shops that shouldn't be allowed near a car. I change my own oil just because every time I take it in for simple stuff like that, the person screws it up. A few months ago, I had to take a car in for a recall. I didn't realize it because they didn't say anything or have signs posted, but they do a complimentary car wash on every vehicle serviced. Guess what happened to the rear bumper cover that was barely hanging on. Yep, ended up dragging it home......

Still upset about that one.
    Especially self proclaimed mechanics .

Join the EFF! So many people have no inkling of the degree to which corporations have managed to stack the deck. Learn how you can fight back and preserve you rights to work on your own car, burn a CD of your favorite music (that you already paid for), and modify gear that you already own.

I know when I want to pirate music I always buy a tractor to do it.

In seriousness though; when the DMCA came around and we raised hell the public was made to feel that we were nit-picking at best and criminals at worst. The fact is that this, and most every copyright law posed since deliberately prohibits innovation, promotes monopoly and is continually used to target the end user, most of whom are not even in a position to redistribute anything covered by copyright before or after this law. But then these are the people who needed it to be illegal e.g. to distribute your own patches (containing no other party's IP) for security vulnerabilities they intend never to patch themselves.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Yeah, the DMCA was set up in such a way as to be reviewed every three years and "tweaked". But the reality is that both political parties are corporatists; every tweak has had the effect of reducing the ability of people to freely use a product they paid for and increased a corporations ability to stifle any attempt at change or innovation. They've fought tooth and nail to minimize the rights of the consumer to use a product however they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    .....and it's all proprietary information......
    You can't even get a schematic for the fuses on the Ford truck.
    Go to your local library and see if they have access to AllData.com library version. If so, you can get schematics from there.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    the reality is that both political parties are corporatists; every tweak has had the effect of reducing the ability of people to freely use a product they paid for and increased a corporations ability to stifle any attempt at change or innovation.

I suppose an artist's copyright or their ability to earn a living should not be considered. It must be those evil corporations again. You do know that single owner, mom and pop shops can also be corporations, right? If it weren't for corporations and free enterprise this country would look a great deal like Russia or China.

The DMCA was set up because this country's moral compass is going to heck in a hand basket. Everyone wants something for nothing and they couldn't resist downloading music and movies for free. Congratulations, we earned the DMCA.

My little one man pest control operation is incorporated. Does that make me a corporatist?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel