Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rats cats& Elephants

Default Rats cats& Elephants

so what are the most exotic tings you,ve eaten hmmm. iv,e heard some say monkey snakes,turtles,possoms,coons,
    lizareds and so on so whqat have you munched on. common dot be shy.

Raw Harp Seal meat, thanks to an Innuit family.

i hate to admit it but i,m probably one of the least here for exotic eating.had squirrel,bear,deer,morray eel,octopus,alligator,
    that,s about it i think .

Termites. But there are a lot more things I could tell.

MSG .....Monosodium Glutamate.......For one.

We eat some real nasty stuff for you and don't know it.

http://nobsnutritionandfitness.com/2...ed-oils-oh-my/

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Bear, whale, octopus,.....can't say I eat it regular.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-24-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hippopotamus ham. The father of my college roommate, had hunted extensively in Africa. He'd killed a large hippo and had some of the meat processed and canned by a company in Africa. My friend had brought a can back to college and we ate it. Tasted very good and resembled the taste of pork.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Lion......

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Muk Tuk. (Whale blubber). Talk about chewy. It was like chewing an old inner tube.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Fruit Bat (Flying Fox), Palolo (Sea Worms), Shark, Sting Ray, Moray Eels, Octopus, Sea Urchin, Giant Clam (Tridacna) and Palusami (Taro leaves baked with coconut cream) while in the Peace Corps. Crocodile in a restaurant in Papua New Guinea. Poi when in Hawaii.

Twinkies when in the continental USA.

I have never sought out exotic foods but travel and interest in other cultures have taught me that food preferences and prejudices are only preferences and prejudices. I have not yet eaten squirrel, dog, horse meat or any kind of snake - but I see no reason not to. If I ever go to Mexico, I will have to try "nopales" (cactus leaves) and "chapulines" (fried grasshppers). Food is Food.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 04-28-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Many of what has been mentioned have been the normal fare for places I have been. Some of the more "refined" eating came from:

giant roasted grubs
    monkey meat on a stick
    various insects (both on purpose and while riding motorcycles)
    blow fish (very poisonous if not prepared correctly)
    silk worm larvae
    balut
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

crash i thought balut was reserved for the old monong in PI.

Muskrat, but just a little taste. No meal of it.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    crash i thought balut was reserved for the old monong in PI.
    I ate more than a dozen at an initiation. Haven't had any since. The Filipinos that were present were salivating to get the left overs. They soon left me alone as it was clear I was going to eat all that were in front of me so they moved onto others that were not so inclined to partake in the culinary excursion.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ya mean sucking cicks thru an egg i rather eat the dog black dog adobo i think.

i just wont touch long pig i hope things never get that bad,
    i can see the commercials now some old cowboy saying LONG PIG it,s what,s fer dinner.
    with cowboys in the backround on horseback roping naked people in the corral.oh my

Balut.....I just threw up in my mouth a little. On the list I don't care where I am.

I don't really think of the stuff you can get at a sushi place as exotic. But, there I have had eel, octopus, squid and sea urchin. The funny thing was that back when I tried sea urchin. I was with a guy I worked with and he picked the restaurant. He knew all of the stuff and so I just ordered the same thing he did. He asked me if I was sure? And said that the uni wasn't for beginners.

I told him I got this and we were served our food. I watched him eat his uni and then he watched me eat mine. No big deal really. Then he tells me the first time he tried it, it made him throw up.

I asked why the hell would you try it a second time then. LOL

The guy who washes cars at work brought in a grilled raccoon. He buys them cleaned for $15 from a trapper. It was wrapped in foil and cooked with this stew like sauce with potatoes, carrots, and onions. The sauce was really good and had a decent heat to it. Lots of people at work tried it. But, the ones who talk about that raccoon the most are the ones that didn't try it. Because of the amount of time I spend in the swamp and the gators I catch and kill. The people who wouldn't even try it seem to want to tell the story as the time I brought in the raccoon that I killed. despite how many times I correct them.

I have tried many wild meats over the years.

But, those are different or some might be weird. Not really exotic. I have never really traveled and so have not eaten some of the exotic stuff you well traveled folks have. But, being the son of a Scottish mother I have eaten haggis many times.

Worms, grubs, crickets, grasshoppers, raccoon, rabbit, possum, snakes, pork brains and squirrels.
    That was before I joined the service.
    Also had bison, elk, moose, gator and pheasant at a DNR cook.
    Capybara, monkey, rat, cat, dog, balut, and the ever popular mystery meat served world wide at street corners.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

MrFixit for sure you,ll never have to worry bout going hungry,honest to goodness.

Walrus. Raw and cooked, both. It makes delicious stew, I do warn he uninitiated against eating the liver raw....it can be a bit much for the untrained stomach. Ringed seal. raw and cooked. You really know you've been eating it, but it's pretty good. Also muktuk. Beluga in my case Kind of tasted like rubber bands dipped in blood, I'm told it's good with soy sauce but I've never confirmed it.

I don't think caribou should count as strange, but what the hell. Caribou is absolutely delicious. Eat it raw....I always thought that raw caribou was best frozen, and then you cut thin slices of it and they kind of melt in your mouth. Stew it. Roast it. It makes a decent burger, or what i believe to be the best curry ever. I even used to have a friend whose mother learned how to cook chinese food at one point, and adapted the recipes to use caribou meat. It was out of this world...partially because caribou is delicious, partially because my friends mother was and possibly still is an incredible cook. And now i want some caribou meat, which I'm not going to get, because there's a temporary hunting ban on them back home, so I can't ask my buddy to hook me up. Darn.