Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peppers how hot will you go?

Some remarks on Scoville ratings from my understanding:

1.) It is often very subjective, based on the (often non)consensus of of experienced chiliheads by comparison with other chilies they eat/have eaten from memory.

2.) claims are generally based on the maxima. Growers, breeders and etc. will tend to want other chiliheads to try their hottest chilies from their best crops, particularly when promoting a variety for it's heat.

3.) the heat for a given variety varies widely, and will overlap substantially.

With this in mind, your bhut jolokia may be hotter than my carolina reaper, or as comparatively mild as my habanero, from one specimen or season to another.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    I usually draw the line somewhere in the neighborhood of Habanero (which I find to be a wonderful compromise given the fruitiness and complexity of their flavor) but I'll go hotter at times. I have a jar of ghost chilies infused in rum and just dipping a drop of it in fairly intense.

Hunter: Chilies are fruit, so that's not boding well for your theory. Milk and anything else fatty is certainly the ticket though.
    They may be a fruit, and I guess I should have been more specific....... but the burning sensation is caused by Capsaicin which is an alkaline oil.
    Not a theory, just basic chemistry.

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2014/03...op-burning.htm

Quote>
    Drink Acid
    No, I'm not talking about sulfuric acid or anything like that, but if you follow the hot peppers with an acidic food or drink you can neutralize some of the activity of the alkaline capsaicinoid.

Good choices include cold lemonade, a lemon or lime, orange juice, anything tomato-based, or drinking milk (which is acidic)

Do Dairy
    Milk, yogurt, and sour cream are acidic, which helps to combat the burning. The milk protein called casein acts as a natural detergent, breaking up the capsaicin. Many dairy products also contain fat which can help to dissolve the capsaicin. To get the most benefit from dairy, go for an acidic product that contains fat. In other words, sour cream or ice cream will help you more than skim milk.
    <quote.

Before the interweb......
    This was told to me by a farmer that ate the hot peppers he grew.....and sorta gave me some tips'.
    Another secret is to not let the peppers touch your lips....put all the way in the month....and have a lemon/lime, or orange handy....Seems to work.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-23-2015 at 06:13 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    They may be a fruit, but the burning sensation is caused by Capsaicin which is an alkaline oil.

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2014/03...op-burning.htm

This was told to me by a farmer that ate the hot peppers he grew.....and sorta gave me some tips'.
    Another secret is to m not let the peppers touch your lips....put all the way in the month....and have a lemon/lime, or orange handy....Seems to work.
    The seeds also contain more capsaicin than the flesh of the pepper. Removing the seeds will tone down the heat when adding peppers to foods.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

The capsaicin is most concentrated in the ribs that hold the seeds. Not in the seeds. I think when people seed the peppers they remove that inner most portion of the pepper as well and that is why so many people think that the seeds are hot.

If you carefully remove just the seeds and then try a seed first and then the rib right next to it. You will see that the rib is the hottest.

The walls of a habenero were measured at 3,914. The placenta that the seeds are held by measured 62,866. The seeds 2,280.

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/que...i-chile-pepper

The heat from a chile pepper is concentrated in the interior veins or ribs near the seed heart, not in the seeds as is commonly believed (the seeds taste extra hot because they are in close contact with the hot veins).
    http://www.cosmicchile.com/xdpy/kb/c...per-facts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    The capsaicin is most concentrated in the ribs that hold the seeds. Not in the seeds. I think when people seed the peppers they remove that inner most portion of the pepper as well and that is why so many people think that the seeds are hot.

If you carefully remove just the seeds and then try a seed first and then the rib right next to it. You will see that the rib is the hottest.

The walls of a habenero were measured at 3,914. The placenta that the seeds are held by measured 62,866. The seeds 2,280.

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/que...i-chile-pepper

http://www.cosmicchile.com/xdpy/kb/c...per-facts.html
    Thanks for the correction. Learn something new everyday.
    ~Rocky Balboa

I was badly disappointed by Freebird today. Everybody has been suggesting I try their habanero sauce which is alleged to be 'much, much hotter' than their death sauce. I suppose it sort of is, at around twice the heat. It's also not very flavorful apart from the heat. Nearly no fruity or floral character for which I absolutely love habaneros normally, really not much more than vinegar, sugar and heat. I told the girl I usually get about 6 times that amount of death sauce and she assured me that I was still certainly going to die. Major disappointment on two fronts.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Where do you guys find these hot sauces? Granted I live in a small town, but I never see anywhere that has this much variety of hot sauces. I LOVE the chipotle tobasco sauce and I just happened upon it at chipotle grill out of town. Never went back to the restraunt but have bought a lot of the sauce since. 1.5 gallons of the stuff plus all of the small bottles before the big containers.
    ~Rocky Balboa

I tend to find sauces via a couple of friends' recommendations or from various chiliheads on youtube.

Much of the variety of the really good sauces would require me to order online, though import places like cost plus world market carry a wider variety than the supermarkets do.

I used to eat at a burrito place in Chico that had an entire wall of shelves with a lifetime of sauce varieties.
    Last edited by canid; 04-23-2015 at 08:52 PM.

I have this one on my christmas list:

btw: when this guy says 'puke warning' what he means is don't watch the video if you don't want to see (or have to fast forward past) him getting sick.

Last edited by canid; 04-23-2015 at 08:56 PM.

The worst thing in the world is trying to de-seed Jalapeno's for freezing. After you cut the first one the capsaisin becomes an aerosol and floats in the air. Trying to breath is next impossible. I learned long ago that glove are mandatory equipment. Capsaisin in a cuticle burns for days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The worst thing in the world is trying to de-seed Jalapeno's for freezing. After you cut the first one the capsaisin becomes an aerosol and floats in the air. Trying to breath is next impossible. I learned long ago that glove are mandatory equipment. Capsaisin in a cuticle burns for days.
    Get your bathroom breaks done BRFORE processing your peppers......and make the sauce OUTSIDE on the picnic table.

Don't use baby food jars with metal covers for completed hot sauce....

Just sayin'..........

A friend makes some of the best tasting hot sauces I have had. He said that when he does, gloves and respirator are a must.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They sell Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper at Target.

We used to make a habanero mustard sauce that we brushed on chicken and grilled. For some reason grilling the sauce made it relatively tame. Just a nice tangy fruity flavor.

My daughter decided to make them at her home and she didn't wear gloves. Her hands burned so bad that she cried for an hour. Definitely should wear gloves.

I have rubbed my eye after several hand washings with soap and still got burned. I use denatured alcohol and then soap. Seems to work to get the oil off.

i saw a guy puke once imediately after biting into a mouse **** pepper another name is bird pepper.
    i brought the seeds home from Hawaii where it grows wild. a big one is about a 1/4in long.
    the guy was drunk and bragging how he could eat any pepper it was funny to see.

hey batch i know about the crying thing cause one time i had an upper inner thigh cramp so i rubbed some
    capsastin cream on it but got some on my gems get my drift and balled like a baby darned neer.you could,nt wash it off it seemed
    had to let it wear off. and then i found out the next day the high outdoor temps kick it back in.

My brother grew some jalapenos that were much hotter than usual. He had a guy that ate one and puked in the kitchen sink just a few seconds after eating the pepper.

Worst I ever had from eating them was a guy at work offered me $20 if I would eat one pepper. This would have been in the late 80's or early 90's Trinidad was playing USA in the World Cup. I ate one scotch bonnet and then took a second one a dunked it in the curry sauce they make with them. My stomach was tore up for about an hour.

Just a side note.....

.....it's not just the really hot peppers will get you.

I had the bright idea of making my own chili powder. I watched a video, where Alton Brown did it, so I used his recipe. You heat the dried chili's and cumin seeds in a pan, then grind them up. I was just going along thinking that toasted cumin smelled great, when I saw a little wisp of smoke. That's when it hit me. It was like getting pepper sprayed in the face. I couldn't get the windows open fast enough. I was coughing and gagging....tears running down my face. I was cussing myself and laughing at myself at the same time.

Yeah.....now you tell me I should do that stuff outside!!! LOL

(The chili powder was pretty good, though.) Hahaha.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

tdtw igotta laugh at that one cause i did the same thing ONCE lol using home grown habanero
    i ran out of the house gaging and coughing i could,nt go back in for mabey a hour. been there done that.

oh i have a definitive book on chile identification called Peppers of the World9AN IDENTIFICATION GUIDE)
    BY,DAVE DEWITT&PAUL,W,bOSLAND.
    ANYONE SERIOUS ABOUT CHILIES SHOULD SEE THIS BOOK.
    can be had on fleabay or amazon i,m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Just a side note.....

.....it's not just the really hot peppers will get you.

I had the bright idea of making my own chili powder. I watched a video, where Alton Brown did it, so I used his recipe. You heat the dried chili's and cumin seeds in a pan, then grind them up. I was just going along thinking that toasted cumin smelled great, when I saw a little wisp of smoke. That's when it hit me. It was like getting pepper sprayed in the face. I couldn't get the windows open fast enough. I was coughing and gagging....tears running down my face. I was cussing myself and laughing at myself at the same time.

Yeah.....now you tell me I should do that stuff outside!!! LOL

(The chili powder was pretty good, though.) Hahaha.
    Everyone has to do it once I guess.......>LOL