Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon and Hunting

Default Oregon and Hunting

is anyone from Oregon here? Where would a great place be to go on a long bow hunt? Somewhere with fresh water, decent game to sustain long term hunting, and also a great fishing and foraging place? It has to be wilderness.

I am not from Oregon.....but good luck with that. First you have to get a license, an out of state one. You can only take certain game in their season. Most seasons are in the fall, so September through October. Oregon is also one of those highly regulated states. You will be limited on what you can take. If you want to just have the experience of taking a mulie in Oregon, go with a guide. They do all spot finding, you do the killin'. It'll cost you.

Now, if you want to go out to the eastern desert.... there is a ton of rabbits....well, there is one fewer than there used to be. One is smeared under my SUV. But, if you go out to the desert, you might as well go to Nevada or Idaho...less rules, same environment.

There might be a place that is exactly what you describe....but no one is going to tell you where that is.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Thanks for answering mate. I have another question, Is fishing as regulated as the bowhunting? Are nets and traps allowed? Would Canada be an easier option?

I have anoher random question about the Pacific Northwest, I know that the Eastern White Pine (Pinus Strobus) inner cambium layer can be used for culinary purposes like frying etc, is there a similar pine in the Northwest, that the same can be done? has anyone experimented with other pines? (No need to mention pine needle tea). :-)

Hate to say it Enigma, and I live on the other end of the USA, but it's really hard living off the land here now anywhere. Really hard legally. My thoughts when I was younger was seasonal work, like fishing boats, planting forest, and then sabbaticals in the woods. Or put your time into making money, buy land and do the off the grid thing. It's doable. Walking out into gooberment owned land and faring for yourself is probably not possible now. Legally.

So would doing hunting, fushing and foraging as part of a TV show, be 'do-able', i.e.: with production companies getting official permission, or what? I know sweet FA about the States.

Fishing, not fushing. Fushing is how Kiwi's pronounce it. :-)

I can't say what the laws, permits, or seasons are for Oregon.....But have hunted Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Missouri, Illinois, Louisiana, as a "Out of state license" buyer......As well as my home states regulation requirements.

Permits are expensive, and in many cases must be drawn in advance.....Get drawn, get a permit, if not, can't hunt. Bow or gun doesn't matter. Fishing, line net, ...same thing.
    Hunter safety courses are a requirement.

Looks like big country, but a lot of time and effort goes into finding land to hunt...permission, leases or really good friend that are land owners.
    This is for citizens or the USA.....might be more regulation for non-citizens.

I'm going to make an assumption, judging by your question.....that the are places in your country that this can be done?

Is it necessary to have passports, visas, permission for moving about on the land?..... Permits/licenses, for weapons, or wildlife hunting fishing trapping?

If so where would that be?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Fish and Game LEO's have ALOT of power. Dig the sentiment, but doubtful that youl'd get away with it long term. Alaska...maybe. You could try and hold out on the Napali coast (Kauai) livin' on fruit and fish... Hard life.
    Last edited by madmax; 04-25-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Down here, we can bow hunt feral species anywhere, excpet National parks (deer, camel, scrub bulls, buffalo, pigs, goats, rabbits, hares, foxes, wild dogs, cats). Except for deer in NSW, which needs an "R" license, as do 'state forests', which is no big deal getting one. A fishing license, is simply bought over the counter at any fishing store.

Sounds like some states over there are quite regulated.

I just want to know the reality of commiting to a U.S TV show beforehand, if one can't hunt. It sort of becomes quite restrictive! How on earth would one, be expected to 'survive', with all those rules and regulations?

Do all those U.S 'reality' 'survival' shows, ever show proper hunting and trapping etc? (I don't watch any of them)

Bows are not regulated as weapons here Hunter, just crossbows.

yes passports and visas are needed for internatonal visitors, but that wasn't my question. I would have all of those when visiting the U.S.
    I am NOT talking firearms, as in 'guns'.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Down here, we can bow hunt feral species anywhere, excpet National parks (deer, camel, scrub bulls, buffalo, pigs, goats, rabbits, hares, foxes, wild dogs, cats). Except for deer in NSW, which needs an "R" license, as do 'state forests', which is no big deal getting one. A fishing license, is simply bought over the counter at any fishing store.

Does this apply for non-citizens?

Sounds like some states over there are quite regulated.
    All states are quite regulated

I just want to know the reality of commiting to a U.S TV show beforehand, if one can't hunt. It sort of becomes quite restrictive! How on earth would one, be expected to 'survive', with all those rules and regulations?

Yes that is correct....Remember they are TV shows...not reality.

Do all those U.S 'reality' 'survival' shows, ever show proper hunting and trapping etc? (I don't watch any of them)
    Not really....but with anything, research is 90 percent of actually doing anything....may be a few you tube reruns of "those survival shows" may be in order?

Awright. I'll go there. It's bull****. We can't do what most of that stuff involves. Legally. We do "survival" trips a coupla times a year. We are tired and hungry at the end. Period.

Can we do the real thing? Yup. Not without breaking laws. shrug.

Fine Hunter, I'll ask questions elsewhere. I just thought this forum might have been the right place.

So I'll put all this in the "too hard basket' here for now. Thank you to the guys who helped anyway.

Down here we have a saying….'what go's on out bush, stays out bush', so NOTHING happened, unless you're caught. :-)

It's all cool, I'll just ask the people involved the same stuff.

P.S Hunter, yes those hunting laws apply to international people. Fly over here, pick a bow from the nearest sports shop, and you're good to go.

Bows are not regulated as weapons here Hunter, just crossbows.

yes passports and visas are needed for internatonal visitors, but that wasn't my question. I would have all of those when visiting the U.S.
    I am NOT talking firearms, as in 'guns'.
    That's.... right y'all have a heck of a time with firearms......Got it.

OK...... Make the assumption the ALL game, belongs to a very regulated government Federal, State, local....an will only give "permission" to take....but what ever means.....anything on the "list".

Does not matter if gun, bow, spear, club, rock, ....or in some places, vehicle .... fishing.....line, net, dynamite.

Guns (long arms) are easy to get here, just not semi auto's and pump action shotties. Forget anything full auto.

What IS restrictive, is having a criminal record.

All you need for a license, is a land owner of a specific acreage to sign a letter saying you hunt on his land, then apply for your license, after doing a firearms safety course, and buying a gun safe for your home. The gun brigade down this way, seem to whinge and whine, cause they can't have everything you guys can.

Enigma, watching some of the shows, they have to be bringing in the "wild game" that is being killed or getting specific permission. So, much that you could depend on as a food source is protected by laws and treaties.

I watched Naked and Afraid in the Everglades. The guy kills a gator. They would have had to have been in season. Which it very well could have been at that time. He would have had to become a permitted trapper and been awarded tags in a drawing for that specific locality.

I think they filmed that whole episode on private land and used a farm raised gator and documented the whole thing with the FWC.

Wow, It's a real shame that it has to be done that way, behind the scenes. But at the end of the day, a production is a production, local governments are what they are (don't want to write rude words here!) and money is what makes the world go around.

Jumping to the opposite extreme, Just this morning I was 5 hours west from here, organising to get onto a property (we're talking thousands of acres) to go after feral goats. A case of beer for the landowner, and it's all sorted. Free range organic goat meat.
    Last edited by Enigma; 04-25-2015 at 11:27 AM.

This question still stands, as it hasn't anything to do with hunting game over your way.

I know that the Eastern White Pine (Pinus Strobus) inner cambium layer can be used for culinary purposes like frying etc, is there a similar pine in the Northwest, that the same can be done? has anyone experimented with other pines? (No need to mention pine needle tea).

This question still stands, as it hasn't anything to do with hunting game over your way.

I know that the Eastern White Pine (Pinus Strobus) inner cambium layer can be used for culinary purposes like frying etc, is there a similar pine in the Northwest, that the same can be done? has anyone experimented with other pines? (No need to mention pine needle tea).
    Not exactly sure which pine it was but it was not white pine. Probably loblolly. But I have a thread somewhere here where I fried some. I was told I may have fried them a bit too long.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa