Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival and Alcohol

Prison wine isn't measured out carefully and is made using rudimentary stock and supplies. I wouldn't see much difference in making alcohol in the wild versus prison. Won't be the highest concentration but you wouldn't get higher without extra apparatuses anyway.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

you know, I never gave much thought to Jailhouse! Your right about it. Ive seen it made with cocktail-fruit and bread! I need to think a bit more on it. Maybe I'll set up some kind of mini-experiment?

I'm not gonna ask how you guys know that. Nope, not gonna do it.

With grapes you can buy any juice at the store and put any yeast in it and it will make good wine.
    The two big secrets are when it quits bubbling just slowly add more sugar and don't screw the lid on tight and cause it to explode. There's a lot more to it , but you can learn that as you drink your first 20 gallons or so. If your winters get down to -20 and you set it outside, you can get it to about 50-60 proof by removing the frozen ice or bring it inside and drain off the colored liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You guys can have my share. I don't do alcohol. Don't see the need and don't care for the taste. I did when I was younger but I guess I outgrew it.
    I did too for many years but lately I've been experimenting with some different styles of beer. I spent my youth drinking Budweiser, my goals at the time, was to build up the nerve to talk to women, LOL.

After not drinking for maybe 15 years, I decided to see what the big deal was with all the micro brews. WOW, some of them are a flavor explosion in my mouth, I loved it! Every couple of weeks I'll go into the local liqueur store to see what new stuff they have and some are fantastic while others are not to my taste. Sometimes the store will mix and match different manufactures into one 6 pack as a sampler 6 pack. My current favorites are IPA's, lots of flavor (hoppy) with hints of herbs and spices. When the weather gets a little warmer I will switch to more of a Belgian style brew. Matching different brews with different foods (as a drink and as a cooking additive) can really enhance a meal, I was surprised when I experienced that for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I don't consider drinking of alcohol a survival need and it can aggravate dehydration. Take it from someone that has kicked the "habit", you can survive much better without alcohol, tobacco, and other mind altering substances !!!!!
    Au contraire, my friend! As just one example, bottled BEER is the perfect survival-stockpile item!

1) It's the best method for long-term storage of grains;

2) It's a great source of purified, potable water;

3) It's loaded with B-vitamins -- an important input for boosting the immune system and imparting a notable energy boost;

4) Its mild alcohol content is sufficient to take the edge off of stress and anxiety in a true survival situation;

5) Beer can be used to bring people together in friendly camaraderie, building a corps of allies in tough times.

urrp i,ll drink to that bottled Guinness stout there ya go laddy.

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    With grapes you can buy any juice at the store and put any yeast in it and it will make good wine.
    The two big secrets are when it quits bubbling just slowly add more sugar and don't screw the lid on tight and cause it to explode. There's a lot more to it , but you can learn that as you drink your first 20 gallons or so. If your winters get down to -20 and you set it outside, you can get it to about 50-60 proof by removing the frozen ice or bring it inside and drain off the colored liquid.
    Good wine is a matter of opinion. Any old yeast and random grape juice is like wearing a blind fold and throwing random things from your cabinet in a pot, cooking it, and seeing what comes out. Blech!

When yeast is added and it starts bubbling rapidly that is the rapid production of more yeast cells. When it slows, that is when they start converting sugar to ETOH and CO2. Adding more sugar at that point can confuse it and cause it to stall by restarting the reproduction cycle and creating more cells than the environment can sustain.
    Last edited by wilderness medic; 04-18-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I used to read this blog but he's been absent for some years now. Check out his ingredients, method and the alcohol percentage he got. I was impressed but would rather just do without.

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000373.php
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

NO COMMENT!!!

My tastes are somewhat subjective. I tried "crappy" cheap wine my whole life then had a bottle of the "good stuff" and it was horrible! So I guess experimentation is called for? as far as raising the proof through freezing. the one that works best with that is sake`

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The first thing I notice about this thread is that no one has the ability to separate the survival use of alcohol from the recreational use of alcohol!

Only 200 years ago alcohol was the only disinfectant available to the common people.

It was also the only pain killer.

In a time when we have access to dozens of over the counter products for minor pain, there was a time when the only thing available to reduce the ache of hard labor on the joints and back was a stiff shot of alcohol. And 99% of the population engaged in daily hard labor! They did not have 3 Aleve, buffered aspirin or a half dozen Tylenol to pop at day's end.

The main sedation for amputations and minor surgery was to knock the patient out with alcohol.

And the only remedy for constant severe or chronic pain was to keep a good buzz going.

In our time of oxycodone, morphine drips, general anesthesia and all the other help we have available we forget that Alcohol was a necessity even in the household of the most religious T-totalers of the past.

Has anyone ever heard of the Reverend Elijah Craig? Baptist minister and distiller of premium sprits on the Kentucky Frontier.

While booze for recreational purposes might not be a necessity for a weekend hike or campout, having some hard spirits around for emergency use is not a bad idea. Or at lest knowing how to use it for emergencies is not a bad idea.

If a storm comes through and some one is injured, and you know help is 24 hours away, there is no morphine, valium or other prescription pain meds available, but you do have a quart of vodka on hand, there is not a single reason that the patient should not have a good shot to keep the pain under control until help arrives.

In addition, alcohol is legal. You can buy it without prescription, it has no expiration date and the dosage is relatively simple.

You can use it as fuel in your stove too.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-18-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyrat
    know help is 24 hours away, there is no morphine, valium or other prescription pain meds available,

In this day and age if you don't have a responsible analgesic available for emergencies you should have. If you spend time in the wilderness hiking or backpacking then you should have both a broad spectrum antibiotic and a good pain reliever. Anyone should be able to talk to their doctor, explain the situation and be able to acquire both if you have a decent relationship with your PCP. They are for use until you can get medical help. Augmenting a serious injury with alcohol only makes the situation worse. Not only will first responders have to deal with the injury they will also have to deal with a drunk. Not all drunks are friendly or cooperative.

I do agree with the assessment that it was a necessity at one time. Both because there were few reliable pain relievers but also because there was not always clean, potable water. Mead, ale and the like was the only drink they could rely on. I think the greatest things mandkind has done to achieve a healthy lifestyle are clean water, proper sewage disposal and modern medicine.

well since ya,ll know so much bout making wine i have a small vineyard bout 1/4 acre of winter hardy
    wine grapes marquette,frontenac, both red varietys and lecresent a white variety.
    just don,t have the time like i used to to properly manage them mabey this year i prune at years end.mabey someone can help make some wine i do have a crusher/destemmer and
    various other things.btw you can make up to 200gal leagally for own consuption says
    the BATFE per year. most i ever made was about 20 gallons and gave most of that away.
    folks like free wine after all the work has been done and if you ever worked a vineyard it,s a lot of work.
    Last edited by hayshaker; 04-18-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    Au contraire, my friend! As just one example, bottled BEER is the perfect survival-stockpile item!

3) It's loaded with B-vitamins -- an important input for boosting the immune system and imparting a notable energy boost;

4) Its mild alcohol content is sufficient to take the edge off of stress and anxiety in a true survival situation;

5) Beer can be used to bring people together in friendly camaraderie, building a corps of allies in tough times.

as long as you put it that way, I reckon with the hops it's like drinking a salad LOL.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    as long as you put it that way, I reckon with the hops it's like drinking a salad LOL.
    Us finely tuned athletes call it carb loading.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah...well.....y'all can go on all ya want.....I just like a little buzz every once in a while...

Just got back from the saloon...had a 21 piece shrimp, off the appetizer menu..... (tempting my gout) and an order of fries.... split with DW...and brought some fries home for Bella.....Took my Cholesterol/High BP meds when I got home.

Add a couple of bottles of "Two Women Beer" from New Glarus Brewing Company...(good stuff)...made a right fine meal.
    http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/inde...beer/two-women

Not a wine snob...do like a "Barefoot Monet" every once in a while, (cheap stuff seems to taste better to me)....a Dewar's scotch and water, sometimes...... and maybe a screwdriver to chase the clouds away.

Oh yeah, maybe a Margarita on Friday nite......and maybe a "little one (shot)...or some sippin' whiskey (2 fingers and one cube)

There is no beer in heaven.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Crash will just knock me out with a billet if I get outa control...not that I do...

My grandpa would take a shot of whisky and honey for a cough
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    well since ya,ll know so much bout making wine i have a small vineyard bout 1/4 acre of winter hardy
    wine grapes marquette,frontenac, both red varietys and lecresent a white variety.
    just don,t have the time like i used to to properly manage them mabey this year i prune at years end.mabey someone can help make some wine i do have a crusher/destemmer and
    various other things.btw you can make up to 200gal leagally for own consuption says
    the BATFE per year. most i ever made was about 20 gallons and gave most of that away.
    folks like free wine after all the work has been done and if you ever worked a vineyard it,s a lot of work.
    You sir have a worker right here :-P

cacteye thanks sorry your so far.last year was a terrible yr for grapes but the year before was
    was great i guess you just take what the Lord gives you Good or Bad.
    i,ll see what this season brings, even though i have a vineyard i favor plum wine oh yeah made
    a few gallons a while back .. this year i,ll share the harvest with neighbors again i guess
    that way at least they dont go to waste.