Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival and Alcohol

Question Survival and Alcohol

how do you make "wild alcohol"?

Almost all fruit has the yeast it needs to ferment. Folks would jack it in the cold. And distillation is about keeping it cool.

There is tons and tons of info "out there" about making whiskey/liquor "at home". What do you have to make it with? What fruit or grain or vegetable do you have available to start this process with?
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 04-17-2015 at 12:44 AM.

it all depends on what type of alchihol you want wine,bourbon.rye,or shine.
    some use potatoe skins .corn,rye,wheat.a clear type liquor would be best as it can be used
    to disinfect wounds.for a fixitive for herbs and their roots for tictures.or for what ails you.

it all depends on what type of alchihol you want wine,bourbon.rye,or shine.
    Regardless of the type or spirits made, it is all the same type-in fact several types -of alcohol. This is ethanol. I say spirits because this is the distinction which actually matters. In distillation under any reasonable parameters the other alcohols are produced in amounts more likely to ruin the taste than to be harmful. they are even less likely to be harmful for disinfectant use (among them are for example isopropanol and it's isomer 1-propanol and all to my knowledge have dehydrative disinfectant properties), but are in any event easy to exclude.

There is absolutely no reason to prefer clear spirits for dark spirits, and that is essentially a function of storage (barrel aging is a finer art that mere storage, but storage is after all the reason the practice began). The important thing here is that the concentration is sufficient, and distillation is how you get it there; the rest is essentially irrelevant.
    Last edited by canid; 04-17-2015 at 05:53 AM. Reason: clarification
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I don't consider drinking of alcohol a survival need and it can aggravate dehydration. Take it from someone that has kicked the "habit", you can survive much better without alcohol, tobacco, and other mind altering substances !!!!!
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Yeah, yeah. People try to tell me coffee isn't a survival essential either. Those people have never met me in the morning. :P
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

To the OP. We maaaaay have a little... um... homemade stuff in camp sometimes (and he lies about the proof, it's much higher).

If I were incline to go homemade it would be wine.

As to the clear vs colored liquor (or beer,wine) affecting you differently, I firmly believe they are different.

Look up "Hooch".............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    To the OP. We maaaaay have a little... um... homemade stuff in camp sometimes (and he lies about the proof, it's much higher).

If I were incline to go homemade it would be wine.

As to the clear vs colored liquor (or beer,wine) affecting you differently, I firmly believe they are different.
    Think he simply meant there is absolutely no difference in the alcohol... Which there isn't. The color comes from the oak barrel. It does pick up different flavors and aromas but the alcohol is still just that. A % of ETHOH. Maybe a little lower from the angels cut after storage but still the same.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

all i was trying to say is i would never use good sippin liquor for herbal tinctures
    why would anyone. that,s what grain alchihol and cheap vodka are for.

Oh I get that. And it would appear to be an unassailable fact. But I act different on vodka than I do beer than I do Tequila.

We'll just have to disagree on this.

Doc says I can have 2 beers a day......shot or wine.....So I said, OK.

I working of October 17, 2019, Number 1 and 2......Don't want to fall behind.....

BTW, Natural yeast for making wine.

https://winemakermag.com/758-wild-ye...s-fermentation

You guys can have my share. I don't do alcohol. Don't see the need and don't care for the taste. I did when I was younger but I guess I outgrew it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Yeah, yeah. People try to tell me coffee isn't a survival essential either. Those people have never met me in the morning. :P
    Oh now, coffee "IS" a requirement for sure !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Why would you be concerned with it in survival anyway. Last thing id do is give up precious calories to ferment booze. And I love booze.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Well, yeah. Getting boozed up hardly helps your survival chance.

no hard spirits for me, my genetics make me go on a war party. Hard to believe, blue eyed, light hair and sunburn easy, in that regard I take after my european roots.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I know how to make wine in the kitchen. Moonshine isnt much more complicated. I know how to do this in a place where all the ingredients are measured out and ready!
    My problem is how to make it in the wild. Yeasts, pectin, PMB(Potassium Meta-bisulfite), Extra sugar, containers, ect. I know that the best aging for wine is char'd french oak. Distilling wine would give me brandy, So assuming I take with me a water distillation unit. I could essentially make some high proof alcohol to disinfect(or to get poop-faced)
    The reason I would want alcohol is obvious Disinfection. As far as drinking is concerned. It would help the Mental side(if I recall someone said that survival is 90% mental) Im not an alcoholic by any means. I would consider myself a connoisseur(Fatass....Sorry inside joke)

thanks to hunter63 I know a bit more about wild/feral yeasts except how to collect, grow, isolate...Ect.

the entire reason I brought up wilderness and alcohol was to try and find a way to make alcohol in the wild through means other than spontaneous fermentation.