Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springtime Allergies

Default Springtime Allergies

I am wondering if there are any easily accessable wild plants in Ontario area, for allergies. Its the springtime runny nose, irritated eyes kind of allergy. Any help? thanks!

I'm not aware of any plant that will treat allergies. It's not a single symptom malady like a stomach ache or headache for example. It's a systemic reaction to an allergen. You might talk to your PCP and try to find out if there is a specific cause (dander, pollen, etc.) or if there are multiple causes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Hay fever help

Apply a thin layer of Vaseline™ just inside nostrils to trap pollen and reduce exposure.

There are several articles you can find if you google Vaseline Hay Fever. I haven't found much beyond a brief comment about doing this as a preventative measure. I have not tried this and do not know how effective this is.

As far as it being Bush craft medicine, well if you use vaseline soaked cotton balls as a fire starter or have some for other purpose, this adds to your bag of tricks. What could it hurt? If you have a petroleum sensitivity, you may want to take caution in trying this.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

talking to your PCP, it's the first sign of an angel dust problem...

as for pollen allergies; i've heard and read numerous references to taking local raw honey daily, though i can't speak for it's efficacy.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    as for pollen allergies; i've heard and read numerous references to taking local raw honey daily, though i can't speak for it's efficacy.
    Nor can I, but also have heard this, and it makes sense.

Problem would be to find some local honey, that isn't pasteurized.
    Farmers market does sell honey, wonder if you could request some that is right out of the comb? Hummmmm (Thinking)

Now that you mention it, it's been a long time since I have come across a real "bee tree".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

clearly it's just a simple matter of setting yourself on fire and raiding a wild hive. bees are afraid of fire, right?

'hey fellas, hold me beer and this book of matches...'
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I'm trying to think through this (which presents its own set of problems). Obviously, some air is getting through and that air would be laden with whatever allergen a person is sensitive to so I'm not understanding how it would work. True, it might capture some allergens but the air getting through wouldn't be pure. Just my misguided thoughts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Canid
    'hey fellas, hold me beer and this book of matches...'
    Or, as we say down here...."Hey ya'll! Watch this!"

Now that you mention it, it's been a long time since I have come across a real "bee tree".
    friend and i came across a nice hive up in chico last year, on a downed oak limb. my friend spotted it just as he was about to step over/on it.

i would agree. if a quart of snot in your sinuses isn't catching it all, i'm not sure how well a dap of vasoline will help.

Okay. There's a picture I'll be trying to get out of my head this evening.

I might give it a try next spring when i mow the lawn. Vaseline in my nose isn't exactly on my list of priorities. Like I said just tossing it out there.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

The honey does work, sort of. I have allergies and fight this every spring. I tried honey from one of the local bee keepers and it lessened the effects of the symptoms. It took many months of taking a spoonful daily but it reduced the problems I had and now I dont have to take the honey daily. I still have several bad days in the spring and summer but a claritin on those days keeps me normal.

I wish all I had to worry about is a Claritin to keep me normal. You should see the size of the pills the doctor has us on. This is life size.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The local bee keepers around here swear by the local honey curing alergy thing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah, normal might be a stretch...can you take them pills of yours with Pepsi?

You can but milk is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I wish all I had to worry about is a Claritin to keep me normal. You should see the size of the pills the doctor has us on. This is life size.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    From what I understand, those pills will cure allergies caused by:

Enriched Wheat Flour - enriched with ferrous sulphate (iron), B vitamins (niacin, thiamine mononitrate [B1], ribofavin [B12] and folic acid).
    Sugar
    Corn syrup
    Water
    High fructose corn syrup
    Vegetable and/or animal shortening - containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed or canola oil, and beef fat.
    Dextrose
    Whole eggs
    Modified corn starch
    Cellulose gum
    Whey
    Leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate)
    Salt
    Cornstarch
    Corn flour
    Corn syrup solids
    Mono and diglycerides
    Soy lecithin
    Polysorbate 60
    Dextrin
    Calcium caseinate
    Sodium stearol lactylate
    Wheat gluten
    Calcium sulphate
    Natural and artificial flavours
    Caramel colour
    Sorbic acid (to retain freshness)
    Colour added (yellow 5, red 40)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Doctors orders, right?

Of course. All three of us have prescriptions.
    We do.
    I didn't get one.
    Yes you did. check your pocket.
    Oh! Yeah. Never mind.