Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a time before bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    The "Apocalypse' rubbish annoys me too. This forums title is "Wilderness Survival", I thought that would be pretty clear to everyone?

Dudes that wear cammo at the keyboard, and dream of 'when the s@#* hits the fan" crap, really need to get some counselling. Obviously their 9-5 jobs don't fulfil them much, if they need to escape into fantasyland.

The same guys I see at Wal Mart standing in front of the ammo cabinet talking about how they like this ammo for sniping or how they are ready for the Apocalypse because they have 100 rounds of 5.56 and a cliff bar.

Then again I guess I can't talk i'm pretty tacticool myself.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

SHTF happens to some people all the time... I'm unemployed right ATM so it's definitely hit the fan for me for the time being.

I'm currently using my time off to try to get my AZ truck licence and build and plant some raised garden beds but money's a little tight as per usual. So since I'm broke as hell I'm using the little resources I have set aside to learn more from the forest and utilizing what I already know to help ease my money situation.

Fishing and hunting and trapping help and since I can't afford allot of booze to forget my troubles I've been making axe handles for the few heads I've had sitting around and learning how to make stone aged bows and the likes to preoccupy the time I have outside of job searches and handing out resumes.

As for an apocalyptic scenario it's more feasible than people would think considering Iran is producing fissionable material for "nuclear power" and many other things still that could bugger us up.

Hell my one idea of how it could all go really bad is an epidemic where rabies and TB joined up to have a baby, Very much so far fetched and I know it isn't going to happen but look at how people now react to the common flu and tell me it's not possible.

As it stands the world is a broken place right now, I want every tool I can have for the possible coming storm being it a month or two out of work or some very long years of economical strife.

To each their own but it never hurt anyone to learn a little extra.

Rabies and TB? Would you cough your lungs up before or after your hair fell out? Don't matter I guess. I'm pretty sure if I saw a guy with lungs hanging off his lips I'd probably put him down just to play safe. Same with a bald guy that didn't have eyebrows. Can't be too careful.

My son hunts with with a handmade bow. He came to a point where hunting with a rifle offered little to no challenge at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And a simple look at the world's mega disasters show just how quickly man bounces back. Our desire to remain within our comfort zone is also what drives our return to normalcy...whatever that is in that location.

What is "normalcy" ????????????
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    What is "normalcy" ????????????
    Get up when you feel like it, .....let out the dogs, .....take dump, morning slick up,....have my coffee and maybe a toast, muffin or bagel...let in the dogs...read the paper...Funnies first......flip on the 'puter, check messages....check in with y'all to see if the EOTWAWKI has happened or not.

Decide on POtD........

No need to patrol AO perimeter, or dust a couple of squatters, (maybe?)....or duck and cover......
    Yeah...That's a good start.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Normalcy is only misunderstood, undefinable, and unattainable by abnormal people.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

As I said..."Whatever that is in that location".

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You did say "one must learn to do those things". Personally, I have no interest in making weapons. It's not something I want to do. And I doubt Winchester, Remington, Federal and the rest will go softly into that good night. Nor will we nor the NRA allow it.
    We are headed so fast to act like Canada... they are phoning down here and asking AhY?

Check this out....Epa at their stupidity

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...ion-production
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-30-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Yeah, there were a couple of posts on that. It occurred in 2013 and we're still shooting. That was a decision made by the manufacturer. How is Doe Run doing today? Just fine.

http://www.doerun.com/minerals-metal...future-of-lead

I remembered a pretty good article on the closing and finally found it.

http://bearingarms.com/its-the-end-o...d-i-feel-fine/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    A long time ago there were just sticks and stones then man learned to flint knap.
    he learned to make knives, spears and stone clubs and Atlatls. and for thousands
    of years they served man quite well. today there seems to ba a resurgence in
    learning the old ways of ancient weaponry.from flint knapped knivesto long bows and
    yes crossbows as well.these weapons put much game on the roasting pit before their
    were pots and pans.i have noticed that many not all here have the experience and passion
    to build such things and that is great. it will be a learning curve indeed for those who do not
    possess the knowledge to make thier own hunting gear. myself i,ve still yet to make a bow.

i own quite a few but that,s not the point i,ve yet to learn to build my own there in lies
    the deal. one must learn to do those things . one day probably not in our life times who knows.
    that there will be no more bullets at best MABEY black powder who knows. i just think it a good thing
    to pass on all the skills we possess in aboriginal weapon making to the younger genorations while
    were still able. knowledge in survival is trully priceless.
    IMO most people are overly intemidated by advanced knapper master crafts people or think stone that can be knapped is expensive or hard to find. Start very simple, make a crude knife or cutting/scrapping tool with broken glass or whatever tie to a stick, instructions on YouTube.
    Also about 7 generations after Adam Tubal-Cain was instructing people in bronze and iron. Not sure what his youtube channel was. Ha ha ha. Genesis 4:22 this history passed down by clay tablets to Abraham then on to Moses who wrote it on papyrus.
    I and many others can make simple crude firearms in garage or shop with stuff from hardware store and propellent from materials from H.W. or grocery or just dig up in certain locations, also info on Internet and public library, access via your card just use Wi-Fi from home or where ever. BUT!!! much faster, easier and cheaper to buy better firearms at local sports store or Walmart.

Warning!!! Don't blow your face off or blind yourself with foolish handmade firearms. When a teen friend shot a brass pistol intended for ornenmentation and it blew up, he was holding it around the corner of a wall. I always tied mine to old tires, pulled trigger with long cord, gradually increased charge.

You could be on a beach almost anywhere in the world for the next 300 years and easily find a glass bottle crack it open and Knapp a useful tool out of the bottom of it and possibly the sides as well. Try it! Search youtube.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    You could be on a beach almost anywhere in the world for the next 300 years and easily find a glass bottle crack it open and Knapp a useful tool out of the bottom of it and possibly the sides as well. Try it! Search youtube.
    This should read "Try it...NOW....and learn now....Search You tubes ......NOW....."
    The whole point is....There may very well be no You tube ....or "An app for that".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This reminds me that I am down to less than 200 pounds of lead and need to get down to the scrap yard and restock the barrels.

That smelter thing did get me on the ball as far as a long term supply of lead goes. I doubt what I had in the past would have lasted me more than 10-15 years!

But I am not concerned as much about the apocalypse shutting down my supply as I am the EPA shutting down my supply.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-06-2015 at 12:37 PM.

In ancient China a warrior general was commanding a garrison and they had run out of arrows to defend it. Overnight, they made straw men and hung them over the outside of the walls. At day break the enemy thought they were attacking soldiers and filled them full of arrows. The general then hoisted up the straw men and collected the arrows. Presto! Instant ammo. I plan on doing something similar for lead. I'll just follow the attacking hordes and go around and dig them out of the walls after they move on.

On the frontier it was common to dig lead out of the walls of a stockade after a siege.

It was also common for the hunters to dig the lead ball out of a dead animal, melt it down and recycle it.

Of course they were using guns of .54-75 caliber, so it was quite a chunk of lead they were searching for.

Got a bunch of 30-30 cast lead rounds, If it's in a deer when I butcher it chances are I can melt it back down and make another round. As for finding lead on the go if there's a bunch of abandoned cars there'll be allot of useful wheel weights just sitting along the road.

For flint napping I have allot of shale rock around my area that doesn't like to be hit too much... Instead I break the shale into as close to an arrow head shape as I can then use another flat piece of shale to grind and sharpen it on.

As for bottles... I'd try to keep them intact seeing as you can make distillers or other odds and ends out of them. EMP hits for whatever reason and pretty much all the cars are pooched there's always the poor mans grenade that can be made.

As it sits though I got four carburrated vehicles sitting in my yard... Actually prefer them seeing as there isn't a billion sensors and things to go wrong with them.