Thread: Our elk taken this past Nov (graphic)

Default Our elk taken this past Nov (graphic)

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics with all of you. I shot this beauty not expecting to when I was out cutting firewood. We figure she was about 750lbs or so on the hoof. Pics are at a friends house, they had running water and lots of kids with little money so we shared with them. Like a good tribe does.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That's me with the elk (strong table!) Notice the sawzall... makes going through the bones like butter!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

My beautiful wife to be, myself and 280lbs of wonderful organic elk meat!
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Doesn't look like that's a fatty type of meat. What's the usual way of cooking it?
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

No fat on most deer and elk. This one was taken in Nov and we had one heck of a cold season, so any fat on them is usually gone by then. We mix a little Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage when we do the ground meat portions, that helps when making burgers and meatloaf. Sometimes with the roasts we wrap them in bacon... MMMMMM!
    Good point about the fat, in the wild there seems to be a lack of it. That's why some folks who live in the wilds have trouble staying at a healthy weight. Ducks, bears and early moose, not to mention salmon and lake trout are vital if you are subsisting off of the land.
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN

Oh, cooking... we make cuts like you see in some stores with beef. Tenderloins, steaks, roasts, backstraps (my favorite after tenderloins), and of course ground meat. So we cook them like you would beef I guess. Grilled, stews, roasts, burgers, meatloaf, etc. We are going to be getting into making our own sausage soon, that will be SWEET!
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Oh, cooking... we make cuts like you see in some stores with beef. Tenderloins, steaks, roasts, backstraps (my favorite after tenderloins), and of course ground meat. So we cook them like you would beef I guess. Grilled, stews, roasts, burgers, meatloaf, etc. We are going to be getting into making our own sausage soon, that will be SWEET!
    Every fall I make about 50 lbs of smoked sausage. Just plain old Cajun smoked sausage most of the time. Sometimes someone will bring me some deer meat as I don't hunt very much anymore. I usually mix the deer meat with some pork.
    I love sausage. Would be curious to know what I could do with some elk meat.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Blog Entries

I havent had elk since I moved to Alaska. But I get all the moose and caribou I can use and give a whole lot away.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

That's a huge animal! 280 lbs of meat should keep your freezer stocked for quite a while. Since you are transient at the moment, did you give/sell it away? Or do you have a freezer for storage in the Airstream?
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

We split half with the family that lived by us and were not so successful that season and we have a freezer in the Airstream and we eat 3 to 4 meals a week off of it. I think we still have like 70 lbs or so left .
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN