Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Survival Movies

Blog Entries

I like:
    Jeremiah Johnson
    the book series THE SURVIVALIST is a wounderful reader.
    Cast Away
    those are some of my favorites

This is an oldie,but a goodie.
    I haven't seen it in years.But,it came to mind when I noticed the title of this thread.
    Anybody remember Richard Harris in Man in the Wilderness (1971)?

Blog Entries

Cool Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by letslearntogether47 View Post
    I haven't seen it in years.But,it came to mind when I noticed the title of this thread.
    Yes! Also "The Mountain Men" with Charlton Heston & Brian Kieth!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Yes! Also "The Mountain Men" with Charlton Heston & Brian Kieth!
    Yup,liked that one also.I always like Brian Kieth.
    Him and Heston did very well in that movie.

Lots of them, these are my favorites:
    The Edge, Death Hunt, Island in the Sky, Castaway, Last of the Dog Men, The Way Back, Defiance, ... oh, man, the list goes on and on.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Blog Entries

Cool Also....

Leave us not forget...Will Penny, again with Charlton Heston!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Red Dawn. Sorry couldn't resisist...

Default What have I missed?!

So we decide to watch "Islands In The Sky" last night. With John Wayne, no less! Survival in the Canadian north after an emergency plane landing in a blizzard.
    -70 F, limited food, etc, etc...the usual story.
    Boy, I couldn't fathom anything SO bad.
    Screenplay, BAD.
    Acting, sophomoric.
    Decisions made along the way, dumb and dumber.
    The only reason we watched the whole thing to the end is that we've already invested time into it (we love the Duke too) and felt like we had to see it through. I was yelling at the screen the whole time.
    Maybe we are more jaded/sophisticated/cut to the chase type of folks now but that movie was an "amateur night in Dixie" at best.
    And I'm no expert especially at this type of survival. (SD, AS, Winter & sjj, please speak up if you've seen this movie and set me straight!)
    I think if that movie was made today exactly the way it is, we'd be all over it like dots on dice. We've dismissed much better stuff.
    What do you all think?

Blog Entries

Cool Aww, man....

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    So we decide to watch "Islands In The Sky" last night. With John Wayne, no less! Survival in the Canadian north after an emergency plane landing in a blizzard.
    -70 F, limited food, etc, etc...the usual story.
    Boy, I couldn't fathom anything SO bad.
    Screenplay, BAD.
    Acting, sophomoric.
    Decisions made along the way, dumb and dumber.
    The only reason we watched the whole thing to the end is that we've already invested time into it (we love the Duke too) and felt like we had to see it through. I was yelling at the screen the whole time.
    Maybe we are more jaded/sophisticated/cut to the chase type of folks now but that movie was an "amateur night in Dixie" at best.
    And I'm no expert especially at this type of survival. (SD, AS, Winter & sjj, please speak up if you've seen this movie and set me straight!)
    I think if that movie was made today exactly the way it is, we'd be all over it like dots on dice. We've dismissed much better stuff.
    What do you all think?
    C'mon, Benesse, just look at the cast! Besides, it could have been worse, Bear Grylls could have been in it!

THE DUKE: "Don't look now fellas, but there's some naked guy doing push-ups in the snow out there! I saw him earlier drinking his own urine! He's not a well boy, I can tell ya that!"

Stupid scene, John Wayne tossing the Spam! C'mon man, they've been how many days without food? Still liked it though! Writers probably knew ZIP about survival, although. I do think it's better than "Red Dawn!" Just sayin'...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Sarge you've got a sentimental bias in favor of the cast (good players, bad acting) and that's OK. I did too. For the first 1/2hr. And then it was painful.
    They DON'T build a fire right off. (get a huge bonfire going, for Pete's sake!)
    They just go around huffing and puffing and rubbing their hands.
    Then, one of the guys goes off to hunt (gotta have some meat, dammit!) and ends up walking in tight circles freezing...right...by...the...plane. Under...the wing...practically. NObody thinks of having a giant SOS sign spelled out in the snow (they were in a clearing after all) so that rescue planes could see it, and it goes down from there.
    I learned ZIP from the movie other than what NOT to do. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong. I could learn from that.

I have lost the title somewhere in the empty space between my ear.
    I would like to find that movie again.
    It is an Australian movie about a boy whose family get killed in an RV accident in the outback and he is found by a man who is returning to his childhood place to die. The man takes the boy in tow and teaches him to live in the outback. when they reach the old man destination he dies and the boy is equipped with the skills to live.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by letslearntogether47 View Post
    another YES vote for Man in the Wilderness
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Jeremiah Johnson
    The Hunted
    Dath Hunt
    Last of the Dog Men (how the Cheyenne survived)
    Best Native American Movie: 500 Nations, Dances With Wolves, Last of the Mohicans
    Finnaly another person that has even remotely heard of Last of The Dogmen
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

" The Hunted " has been on 3-4 times in the last 2 weeks here

watched it every time . . .

i think someone made a good " product placement " decision using Tom Brown's Tracker knife
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I just watched Stranded: I've come from a plane that crashed on the mountains (2007) on netflix streaming, a documentary on the passengers of Uruguayan Air Force 571 which was chartered to take a soccer team to a match in Chile and clipped a peak at 13800ft, crashed, split in half, and came to rest at 11,800 feet altitude in the Andes near the Argentina/Chile border. Temperatures at night were -30F. They had to eat their dead to survive. Eventually, after the weather got warmer (still snow covered) two of the party hiked 80 miles and 10 days over numerous mountain ridges without equipment or training, the first being 18,000ft, until they came upon a Rancher, 72 days after the crash. 16 out of 45 survived. This has been the basis for a number of books and movies.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay...rce_Flight_571

This story hits just a little bit closer to home for me than it will for some. I have flown over the Andes 4 times going to/from the same airport at the same time of year and the mountains they crashed in would have been distant line of site from my planes. I spent about two weeks on two trips at an observatory at 9000ft altitude in the Andes about 600 miles north. I have also spent abut 3 months cumulative at 14000ft (and many more months at lower elevations). I have had a couple minor rescues and self rescues and have had altitude sickness on these trips. I have flown Aloha flight 243 many times (to get to/from the observatory at 14000ft) but it was someone else returning from the same observatory in the same time frame who was on board when the roof came off the plane in mid air.