Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Movies

Blog Entries

Yeah, Ghost in the Darkness was a great film. ANd here's a good one from our friends the Brits (Fishy you in this Its called Wilderness, saw it and it was real good, kinda like wilderness survival horror.
    Last edited by Beo; 11-20-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    Lets see, the one that I can think of isn’t as much of a survival film as Cast Away but it still has survival stuff in it.
    “Never Cry Wolf” was a lot of fun. The name sounds corny but the movie is really funny and its based on a true story.
    I'll give ya one... Ever hear of the book "One Mans wilderness" and there was a subsequent movie.. It is based on the true story of Richard Proenneke who had retired in his (mid fifties?) and moved/homesteaded in Alaska and then lived there by himself for 30 years.

The movie is boring I'll have to admit.. it is a kind of a documentary as well as the book but it is a true story with an interesting take on survival.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwose View Post
    The movie is boring I'll have to admit.. it is a kind of a documentary as well as the book but it is a true story with an interesting take on survival.
    I have a good attention span for things like that. There are so many books I need to read lol

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Saw it!

Quote Originally Posted by woodwose View Post
    I'll give ya one... Ever hear of the book "One Mans wilderness" and there was a subsequent movie.. It is based on the true story of Richard Proenneke who had retired in his (mid fifties?) and moved/homesteaded in Alaska and then lived there by himself for 30 years.

PBS likes to air it every year or so. Also just watched "The Snow Walker". Also this one that just came out titled: "Rescue Dawn". A true story about survival in the jungle in Laos during the Viet Nam conflict by an American flyer. I give this one two thumbs up! Finally, if you want to see a gross parody of Survival Reality shows check out "Wrong Turn 2". Just watched it. Wierd but funny.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

The Movie "Boone" is due out soon.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    PBS likes to air it every year or so. Also just watched "The Snow Walker". Also this one that just came out titled: "Rescue Dawn". A true story about survival in the jungle in Laos during the Viet Nam conflict by an American flyer. I give this one two thumbs up! Finally, if you want to see a gross parody of Survival Reality shows check out "Wrong Turn 2". Just watched it. Wierd but funny.
    Uh.. yep.. during pledge week.. You can always tell when pledge week is happening on PBS... they bring out all their good stuff...

Nothing wrong with that... I just think its funny how and why they do that.

Great movie !!! Snow Walker

Rescue Dawn...just saw it last week, definitely agree with the Sarge, two thumbs up.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    the Snow Walker
    haven't seen this yet, but it looks great
    saw an hour long show about the making of this movie

Jeremiah Johnson 1972
    i love this movie
    i've always wanted to be a mountain man because of this movie

Quest for Fire 1981
    not much dialogue here
    simple survival in a primitive time

Man in the Wilderness 1971
    man left behind for dead by his friends

Alive book 1974 movie 1993
    plane crash in 72, leaves soccer team stranded in the Andes

Ray Mears Bushcraft Survival Series 1 and 2 are good, help full tips in them too

I cant remember its name. But it was made after the robertson cruseo book. I would give it 10/10
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Remy, how would you rate it overall? I was just watching the previews last night and thinking about renting it, Wahlberg tends to run kind of hot and cold in the acting department in my books, but Leguiziamo (sp?) usually turns in something solid. How's the overall story from your perspective?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    If everything else fails, you can always get lost in Zooey's eyes...and wander.A.
    Well, when you mention that I think I'm just going to have to see it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    1.) Cast Away. (You were right, Owl Girl, Wilson was a vollyball...silly air-head)
    Cast Away is brilliant...but sad. Great movie.

Check out Clear Cut, it's more about the environment, but it also shows some native skills.
    Best Native American movie: The Native Americans, came out in 94 on TBS. Hard to find but WELL worth the watch.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Trax - I'm a fan of some M. Night's work and enjoyed the movie.....but then again, I drink coffee out of a bowl from time to time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I remember a movie about a french guy, who took his wife to the Canadian mountains and lived. He was a trapper and oneday, he stepped in one of his bear traps. He got gangreen in his foot and leg, his wife had to take him out to the woodshed and chop his leg off.

She then bandaged him up, but he died.

Towards the end of the movie, in spring, she takes the canoe and heads downriver to a town and becomes a teacher.

The end of the movie shows her with a loaded canoe, paddling up river and the very last scene, she pulls up to the cabin.

Don't know the name, but it is very old and cast in very dark light.

Into the wild and castaway are the only ones I know

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Trax - I'm a fan of some M. Night's work and enjoyed the movie.....but then again, I drink coffee out of a bowl from time to time.
    ummmm....what bowl do you drink out of? My dog was drinking out of a bowl that I had to close the lid on....

Umm, I really like "Deliverance" boys. It sure is a purdy film.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen