Thread: Fire by Magnifying Glass - So Easy a 6 year old can do it.

Wink Fire by Magnifying Glass - So Easy a 6 year old can do it.

Well here it is.... It took the video a few hours to upload to YouTube,So I had to wait 'til today to post it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to warn y'all.... about halfway through the video is upside down for a few minutes, but it's not too bad, as the fire is the concentration not people or such.

Last edited by Pocomoonskyeyes3; 07-28-2011 at 07:28 AM.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Way to go boys!!! I'm impressed.

LOVE Poco's commentary...made me smile wide!

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    The boys did a Mosquito smoke out today. For about 10 minutes all they had was smoking grass(The kind in the yard, NOT the funny kind!) They were so proud I HAD to find the camera....Which was NOT where it was supposed to be. So after @ 10 minutes searching for it, I FINALLY Found it!

The video is kinda' long about 15 minutes of huffing and puffing and piling on more grass. Finally though they had fire. They would NOT stop until they had fire.

Lessons learned.... Be sure to do this WITH A FIRE PLACE! I THOUGHT we could get some grass smoldering, they'd see the glowing ember and that would be that, stomp it out and go on to something else. WRONG! Now we have a burned spot in the grass in the yard. Oh well, it will grow back....probably thicker there.

I'll post it in Gen. Chat, so as to not FURTHER hijack this thread, and provide a link to it here.....Once it is uploaded to YouTube. I was surprised actually, the Magnifying Glass was just a $1 el cheapo keychain type.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    LOVE Poco's commentary...made me smile wide!
    Yeah kids and "Camping" are like that. Some things you may have noticed in the video... The old quilt. This is one of the boys biggest "outside toys". They use it to make their "Tent"(with chairs and such to hold it up) and for "picnicking". We had put the sleeping pads and bags down in the shade so "we" could take a nap outside.But that never happened... The boys puppies wouldn't leave anyone alone long enough for anyone to sleep! Soooo I decided to teach the boys about magnifying glasses and fire. We had little wisps of smoke Looooong before we had an ember! This whole process took about an hour all tolled.

Once we DID get an ember, The boys just would NOT stop until they had fire! It was then I decided to get the camera as the boys were just SOOOOO excited! I've made them a bow drill set too, but the string keeps slipping on the Spindle. Until that issue is resolved, we'll just stick to the basics and other stuff. We don't have a Boy Scout troop here, so it's all up to me. I really need to go to the tack store and get some leather lacing for the bow's string. It's kinda' out of the way so until we go there for something..... No special trips JUST for leather lacing. LOL It's probably safer for now that the string DOES slip! I keep the magnifying glasses put up too!
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Way to go Boys, that includes you to Mel!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Well done. Man - they are getting big - fast.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well done. Man - they are getting big - fast.
    Yes they are!

1st Jamboree...just "Babies" really.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last years Jamboree.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Cool, thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Grate job Boy's and I'd say Dad too, But the boys were doing all the work. LOL, Semper Fi.

OH NO!!! I've created "Survival Monsters"!!!! They WERE watching Cartoons in their room....Until they realized "Dual Survival" was on! Now the two are saying, "I want to watch Cody Lun-DEEN!!!!" I asked who the other guy was and got the reply "He's a Sniper but I forget his name.... Were YOU a Sniper Dad?" Sheez! Kids!