Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the right way to ration your food in a survival situation?

Hey...3 cases of MREs is barely a fulfilling meal for me so........................Reading and comprehension are two different things. Just sayin'.........

I'm glad to have read intelligent responses to a silly 'what if' scenario. 2-3 days without food? How the hell is that a problem.

I guess with your American habits of 'up-sizing' meals you don't need, and an abundance of cheap meals fit for 4 people, you guys would focus on food as your priority, in a survival situation.

the reality is, most real survival situations are resolved in 72 hours, so maybe you'd be doing yourselves a weight and possible diabetes issue favour, by getting in a 'situation'.

It always amazes me why people put food above the real survival skills when in online discussions. Food ALWAYS comes absolute last in short term situations.

You notice that none of "us guys" are focusing on the food. The OP started out that way. Shelter and water are the most suggested answers.
    This is also one of those drive by posters. If you see a post count of 1 on something like this, especially a "what if," think really hard about taking it too seriously.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Before you go pointing that finger at us you might look in house. 3-5 Adult Australians are overweight. It's not just an American phenomenon. It's world wide. Insulting others is not a way to win friends by the way.

http://www.aihw.gov.au/overweight-and-obesity/

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I'm glad to have read intelligent responses to a silly 'what if' scenario. 2-3 days without food? How the hell is that a problem.

I guess with your American habits of 'up-sizing' meals you don't need, and an abundance of cheap meals fit for 4 people, you guys would focus on food as your priority, in a survival situation.

the reality is, most real survival situations are resolved in 72 hours, so maybe you'd be doing yourselves a weight and possible diabetes issue favour, by getting in a 'situation'.

It always amazes me why people put food above the real survival skills when in online discussions. Food ALWAYS comes absolute last in short term situations.
    Hummm....I guess I would like to see your answer to the OP.......being as how it was a first post by someone with out any introduction and very limited information.

So, would that garner a "Hey, Dumas", You don't have a problem, what the heck is matter with you?"....Response?

Not putting any words in your mouth....referring to your open statement in your response.....
    Quote>
    "I'm glad to have read intelligent responses to a silly 'what if' scenario. 2-3 days without food? How the hell is that a problem."
    Quote.

Does that sound like something a survival expert/instructor would say?....To a new student?...Upon first meeting them?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hey...3 cases of MREs is barely a fulfilling meal for me so........................Reading and comprehension are two different things. Just sayin'.........
    this place needs a like button

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You really eat those things? They must have come a long way since the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hummm....I guess I would like to see your answer to the OP.......being as how it was a first post by someone with out any introduction and very limited information.

So, would that garner a "Hey, Dumas", You don't have a problem, what the heck is matter with you?"....Response?

Not putting any words in your mouth....referring to your open statement in your response.....
    Quote>
    "I'm glad to have read intelligent responses to a silly 'what if' scenario. 2-3 days without food? How the hell is that a problem."
    Quote.

Does that sound like something a survival expert/instructor would say?....To a new student?...Upon first meeting them?
    Yes, we tell everyone , food is ones lowest priority, straight up every time, along with not drinking ones own urine (thanks Bear!!). Thats what teaching real stuff is about. We don't mind hurting feelings if it saves lives.

Hunter, would you have issues telling people that? It is REALLY basic stuff.

I would most likely say "G'day mate"....before calling them a Dumas.

Of course I am not survival instructor or even a survivalist for that matter......But spending many years in the working world, in leader ship capacity one way or another, and dealing with paying customers....I would like the check first.

Just saying.............

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

I can see that you are working soooooooo hard at endearing yourself to the majority of the forum. Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

to the OP: I would ration. You just never know.

Always entertaining watching how some of these new poster's questions go.
    If you have the wreckage of the plane should you have shelter taking care of? I have never crash landed in the Frank Church Wilderness, I have never actually "crash landed or crashed" in any kind of plane at all. I just figure that most of the folks here in they were not really badly injured would do fine with the resources immediately available to us from the wreck and the wilderness. Stay calm, stay warm and stay there.
    Build a fire (away from the Av Gas) get warm and sleep until you are thirsty. Carefully hunt for some water without losing your way back to your shelter.

I can not imagine even in the nicest part of summer that eating is going to be that high on your priority list. For sure in the heart of winter it should not be. But he/she did ask for our input on which one we would do. I would most definitely ration.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 04-13-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Well, DSJ.....appears we have another "one post wonder"....or Drive-by......

I thought that most everyone really tried to answer in a friendly logical fashion, but with no response, maybe Enigma method of calling them out after the first post would save all the effort.....after all survival is serious stuff.

Tempting some times to just give in to a "What the heck are you thinking?

Oh well.

Hunter, I agree 100% that most everyone was civil and interested... I am still lost on some people's apparent continued hostility here myself. Oh well. I am getting ready to go camping for a couple of three nights here real soon I hope. Of course it has been raining all day and all of last night so I will not have any trouble finding water!

Dave

Y'all have a good time....Evjoy.

We are gonna be heading out to "The Place" next week after DW's Dr. appt.
    just quit raining this morning, LOL

BTW I would just eat it ALL up....then whine and complain about being hungry.....most likely.......LOL

Well actually I have no idea what I would do. But right now my thinking is that you really have no way of knowing how long it may take to get help there. So, to me, rationing seems like a reasonable choice. BUT, you just never know till you are there, in my experience anyway. Be my luck some bear would be drawn into my camp and find my food stash and I bet he would not vote to ration it at all.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Some hikers here got stuck on a glacier. They knew where they were for 3-4 days after finding them but couldn't land the heli due to bad weather. And the first supply drop they made went into a crevasse lol.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Wonder what that little rescue mission cost.

Into a crevasse? 10,000 years from now some hiker is going to be at the face of that glacier and exclaim, "Spam! Hey, there's Spam coming out of the ice!" Okay, with global warming 2 1/2 months.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

[QUOTE=DSJohnson;459222]Wonder what that little rescue mission cost.[/QUOTEortune for sure.

A dang fortune for sure.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

Ok lets get serious here.
    Its June 3 2017, Obama has declared himself godking on this day 2 years ago. He abandons his family, retreating to what used to be referred to as "The Presidential Bunker."
    In retaliation for stealing his idea, Kim Jun Un unleashes weaponized super-SARS world wide and attempts to nuke the United States. Asia is devastated and no country will come to the aid of the United states in anarchy.
    You are the last remaining Secret service agent remaining to protect the First Family, armed with a glock 17 with 1 1/2 magazines, a pocket knife and a flashlight.
    Your group recently was driven from the Whitehouse, and you have no food. Michelle was adamant about bringing the dogs, Bo and Sunny, along with them. 5 days in travel you realized you must do something or jeopardize the group.
    Which dog do you eat?
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.