Thread: AAA Says You Need an Emergency Kit

Default AAA Says You Need an Emergency Kit

I belong to Hoosier AAA and receive periodic emails from them. I was intrigued to receive one today that discussed the need to stock an emergency supply kit. While the contents of the kit could always be debated (as can any kit) I thought it was interesting that the idea of surviving some event is becoming more and more mainstream. If their email makes one family stop and think about the need then, in my opinion, it was well worth the writer's time. Maybe the message is getting out.

If you're interested here's the text...Notice the reference to an emergency preparedness plan!

The timing of a disaster can be difficult, if not impossible, to predict. Therefore, it's important to prepare for the possibility well ahead of time. Whether forced to evacuate because of a hurricane, flood or fire, or confined at home to wait out severe weather, you'll need emergency supplies to stay safe.
    "It's important to invest the time to prepare an emergency supply kit," said Steve Vernick, senior vice president of insurance with AAA Hoosier Motor Club. "The items included in the kit will help ensure you'll have something to eat, can deal with minor injuries, and will stay up-to-date on developing weather conditions."
    Preparing a kit is important and easy to do. Simply select a large plastic container with a lid, a duffel bag, or a backpack to store your emergency supplies. Once filled, place it in an easy-to-access location known to all household members. The kit should be easily transportable in case you have to evacuate.
    Here are some of the items you may want to include:

• A copy of your emergency preparedness plan
    • A battery or hand-cranked radio
    • A flashlight with extra batteries in a sealed plastic bag
    • NOAA weather radio for areas where hurricanes and tornadoes are common
    • At least three days' supply of water (three gallons per person per day)
    • At least three days' supply of food that doesn't need to be cooked or refrigerated, including canned tuna, meat, fruits and vegetables; peanut butter; crackers; cereal; trail mix; and granola bars
    • A can opener
    • Paper plates and utensils
    • A first aid kid including items such as bandages, antibiotic cream, hydrogen peroxide, scissors, tweezers, needles, and moist towelettes
    • Prescription and nonprescription medicines you are accustomed to taking
    • Bleach or water purification tablets
    • Matches in a waterproof container
    • Local maps and a compass
    • A whistle
    • Hand sanitizer
    • Pet food and supplies

Another item for car kits if traveling in cold weather are blankets or sleeping bags. Good ones, not the bargain basement elcheapo junk !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I belong to Hoosier AAA and receive periodic emails from them. I was intrigued to receive one today that discussed the need to stock an emergency supply kit. While the contents of the kit could always be debated (as can any kit) I thought it was interesting that the idea of surviving some event is becoming more and more mainstream. If their email makes one family stop and think about the need then, in my opinion, it was well worth the writer's time. Maybe the message is getting out.

If you're interested here's the text...Notice the reference to an emergency preparedness plan!

The timing of a disaster can be difficult, if not impossible, to predict. Therefore, it's important to prepare for the possibility well ahead of time. Whether forced to evacuate because of a hurricane, flood or fire, or confined at home to wait out severe weather, you'll need emergency supplies to stay safe.
    "It's important to invest the time to prepare an emergency supply kit," said Steve Vernick, senior vice president of insurance with AAA Hoosier Motor Club. "The items included in the kit will help ensure you'll have something to eat, can deal with minor injuries, and will stay up-to-date on developing weather conditions."
    Preparing a kit is important and easy to do. Simply select a large plastic container with a lid, a duffel bag, or a backpack to store your emergency supplies. Once filled, place it in an easy-to-access location known to all household members. The kit should be easily transportable in case you have to evacuate.

• At least three days' supply of food that doesn't need to be cooked or refrigerated, including canned tuna, meat, fruits and vegetables; peanut butter; crackers; cereal; trail mix; and granola bars
    • A can opener
    • A first aid kid including items such as bandages, antibiotic cream, hydrogen peroxide, scissors, tweezers, needles, and moist towelettes
    • A whistle
    • Hand sanitizer
    • Pet food and supplies
    That list is a good start! With just those basic items, anybody can have a decent set of equipment.

Not much value in picking apart their list....
    The fact that a list for a kit has been brought up it the point.

Very cool.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Anything that opens peoples eyes and starts them on the path to "not being a victim" is a good thing. Well done to Hoosier AAA.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, and if AAA does it....must be good....or so a lot of people think.

I found the paper plates interesting... never would have considered it.

I see a bunch of things missing... any takers? ie - stove fuel, prepped food, waterproof containers etc... Gun. And ask anyone how to clean water with chem.... good luck.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Like wow, those Hoosier types show good common sense, Right On.

It is a very significant sign I think. They spent money on this. Without a real tangible ROI. I agree Rick if this makes more "main stream" families work on an EPP and take any action as regards putting together an "Emergency Supply Kit" it is a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah, and if AAA does it....must be good....or so a lot of people think.
    Lol. You don't approve?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    Lol. You don't approve?

Of course I approve...What gave you the idea that I didn't?

.......But you would be surprised how many people carry a cell phone and credit card for the "emergency".
    Point was the AAA saying it make it a good thing, carries more weight then the nut job survivalists...Right?

That AAA emergency kit list is an excellent, basic kit and most people could get by with it without a great deal of trouble. Unfortunately, most people live in denial. "It can't happen to me ... or if it does, the government will save me." Therefore, most never pay much attention to being prepared for emergencies.

Most of those who do pay some attention to the advice will be far more likely to lay in those recommended basic supplies, than stocking up closets full of esoteric "survival stuff."

Good for AAA. Hope their customers take their advice.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Of course I approve...What gave you the idea that I didn't?

.......But you would be surprised how many people carry a cell phone and credit card for the "emergency".
    Point was the AAA saying it make it a good thing, carries more weight then the nut job survivalists...Right?
    OK. I thought it sounded different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

• A can opener
    • A whistle
    • Hand sanitizer
    • Pet food and supplies
    Rick, I am finding it quite difficult to locate the much needed first aid kid for my kit. Any chance you could point me in the right directions?
    Always a good thing to keep reminding folks about the need. I was kind of surprised I suppose, to hear how many of the people at the hospital I am doing my clinicals at have an emergency kit i their auto. However another thing I realized is theirs are mostly geared towards having to stay overnight at the hospital in case flood or snow prevents others from making it to work, not in case they may actually be in an emergency themselves. ( BTW, the hospital has "drivers", people they can call with 4 wheel drive who will pick up an employee who can not get their with their vehicle. They have to find their own way home though or be ready to stay).
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Check with the person that does the ordering at the hospital. They should be able to order you any size kit you want at wholesale.

That's a new one on me at AA. Crap. Guess it's been awhile...

Seems like a good list...I like that they recommended things like peanut butter and such. Not what you'd to live on long term, but in an emergency, you don't have to cook it and it will keep you going. Copies of important documents might be a good idea.