Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Granola Bars

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    My favorite store bought "granola" bar is by Kashi. The Kashi Go Lean Chewy Oatmeal and Rasins. Yummmmmm. ....and since it says "Go Lean" in the title - it's got to be good for you right? Right????
    They're higher in calories, only 4 or 5 bars (?) instead of 10 of these yummy marshmallow and chocolate ones ... yeah I've been to the store. Less sodium but they contain potassium which might be worst when you're under stress and working your butt off to survive. Kashi has more carbs too.
    PREPARE FOR THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha443556 View Post
    They're higher in calories, only 4 or 5 bars (?) instead of 10 of these yummy marshmallow and chocolate ones ... yeah I've been to the store. Less sodium but they contain potassium which might be worst when you're under stress and working your butt off to survive. Kashi has more carbs too.
    Making your own you can make them as calorie dense as you want, and the size that you want. They don't have as long of a shelf life, so they're not "survival food" and more for backpacking or hiking, but they have a lot of carbs which is a good thing. It's basically calorie and carbohydrate fortified GORP in bar form.

Why do you say a food having potassium may be worse when under stress? You're body needs potassium for your muscles to function. That's why runners eat so many banana's after a marathon. Carbs and potassium.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Tastes great! Less potassium, sodium and calories! Tastes great! Less potassium, sodium and calories!....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

HUH, bunch of calories?? I eat those things like popcorn. They ain't survival bars, more like heart stoppers. Oh well don't guess one more box will make any difference now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Why do you say a food having potassium may be worse when under stress? You're body needs potassium for your muscles to function. That's why runners eat so many banana's after a marathon. Carbs and potassium.
    As long as you have enough water and your kidney's are in good shape and not injured the potassium should be excreted however excess potassium in the blood may cause muscle spasms and cramps. Potassium toxicity causes listlessness, mental confusion, numbness, tingling of limbs, a sense of weakness, clamminess, low blood pressure, and a slow heart beat. Not good in an emergency. There's an upside and a downside to potassium.

I'd love to be stuck in a SHTF situation with a lovely amazon goddess who runs triathlons but I know I better prepare to be stuck with mum who has both kidney failure and CHF. So Mayday food rations and no high potassium treats for my survival pack.

I think the keyword was "survival" in the original question. Granola Bars, great snacks but I would not want to live on them ... though I could use another box of them to snack on.
    PREPARE FOR THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha443556 View Post
    As long as you have enough water and your kidney's are in good shape and not injured the potassium should be excreted however excess potassium in the blood may cause muscle spasms and cramps. Potassium toxicity causes listlessness, mental confusion, numbness, tingling of limbs, a sense of weakness, clamminess, low blood pressure, and a slow heart beat. Not good in an emergency. There's an upside and a downside to potassium.

I'd love to be stuck in a SHTF situation with a lovely amazon goddess who runs triathlons but I know I better prepare to be stuck with mum who has both kidney failure and CHF. So Mayday food rations and no high potassium treats for my survival pack.

I think the keyword was "survival" in the original question. Granola Bars, great snacks but I would not want to live on them ... though I could use another box of them to snack on.
    Here's some info on what potassium does for you:

Potassium’s roles in the body include:
    # maintains fluid and electrolyte balance
    # helps transmit nerve impulses
    # helps regulate blood pressure and reduces the risk of stroke
    # helps maintain a regular heartbeat
    # helps prevent muscle cramps

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC4069.htm

Here's some info on what an excess does:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001179.htm

I'm not saying I want to LIVE on granola bars. Like I stated previously, they're not a survival food.

However, I'm not going to not stockpile something because it has potassium in it. It's to vital of a nutrient to be worried about, and in a situation where you're exerting a lot of physical energy, you need it to be replaced. imho, a lack of potassium is more dangerous in a survival situation than an excess. Even moreso now that I've reviewed the data again.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

thanks for the recpie Rick, I will try to make it.

Oh be sure to check the experation dates, then dryer ones last longer but I dont like them too much

granola bars r tasty