Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granola Bars

Arrow Granola Bars

I think granola bars are a great survival food. They taste good, give you energy.

What's your opinion? Are they worth the money? (I always get mine when there on sale)

I don't know about worth the money but I do like the chewy ones. I buy the Quaker Oats multi pack or whatever it's called. The one that gives you the S'mores (Mmmmmm) and the chocolate chip (MMmmm) and the other flavors. Those that are harder than asphalt you can keep.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yea I love the chewey ones. Especially with chocolate.

The problem these days is the rising gas prices. The truckers charge more money to ship stuff, and the food becomes more expensive...
    Last edited by Omid; 04-27-2008 at 12:22 PM.

I take some when I go hiking. I also keep somein my BOB and truck kit.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

They are certainly handy and overall a healthy choice over candy bars.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

One minor problem. I can't seem to get them from the kitchen to the door. I eat those things like snacks, or did until the calories were pointed out to me.

Coot - The definition of calories is a unit of measurement for the amount of energy that is released from food upon oxidation by the body. Now the way I see it, I need both energy and oxygen. Both are essential to maintain life. And working on the assumption that if a little of something is good then a whole lot of something is surely a whole lot better, I look for anything high in calories. (It's hard to beat deductive reasoning.) Just remember, if it's sweeter than a July ham it just has to be good for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I like the ones from Kashi. Kashi makes some great foods. They have some great cold cereals, some cookies that are not just delicious but good for you(very high in fiber) and they have at least 5 types of granola bars. One of my personal favorites is Dark chocolate cherry(real dark chocolate and real cherries) I also like the fruit and nit trail mix one. In fact I usually have one of each type they make in my daypack(all outside the obxes stuck wherever there is space. A bottle of water one or two bars and a hunk of jerky is as good as a meal.

I also like the fruit and nit trail mix one"

They have fruit and nits????
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I tried it once. Turned into a nit picker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I tried it once. Turned into a nit picker.
    Sorta like a monkey???
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I've been called that, too. And a lot worse.

I wanna try making my own with pumpkin, peanut butter, banana chips, honey, oats, quinoa, and allspice and pumpkin pie spice. I put pumpkin and peanutbutter, honey and banana on whole grain toast. Its really good and healthy so I thought I sould try it with ganola sometime. all those ingredients are very nutritious.

I used to go through granola bars like crazy. Then I read somewhere on here a post about meatless pemmican. Started thinking (usually a dangerous thing). so, I modified the meatless pemican recipe to a basic granola recipe, and change it up depending on what I'm making. I use either honey, peanut butter, or both as a binder. Basically just make your granola, add your dried fruit, add your binder, press it into a cookie sheet or 9x9 pan lined with plastic wrap, cut them the width you want them, and wrap them in wax paper (inner) and foil (outer). I make a blueberry peach, an apple walnut, a tropical (pineapple, papaya, macadamia nut, banana and coconut, or any combination thereof), a banana nut, a peanut butter banana, a cranberry walnut, etc. etc. I make em pretty big, about the size of three of the chewy ones from Quaker. Toss two of those and a couple ounces of home made beef jerkey into your bag and your good for a day on the trails. Kids love'em two. The best thing? I know EXACTLY what's in it.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

i just carry a multi vitamin bottle in my kit, but i do take bars for lunch at work
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I thought I posted this. Anyway, here's a recipe I picked up from Alton Brown, I think.

8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
    1 1/2 ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately 1/2 cup
    3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
    1 1/2 ounces wheat germ, approximately 1/2 cup
    6 ounces honey, approximately 1/2 cup
    1 3/4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/4 cup packed
    1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries

Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.

Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

I don't think granola bars would make a great survival food. The ones everyone likes with the marshmallow and chocolate are 120 calories each so for 1200 calories per day you'd eat 10 bars, 88mg sodium in each bar comes to 880mg per day - you better have a good source of water. They are also lacking in all the other goodies too- vitamins and minerals.

Now I'm hungry for granola bars with marshmallow and chocolate.
    PREPARE FOR THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i just carry a multi vitamin bottle in my kit
    Huh? I do too. what does that have to do with granola bars?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

On the other hand, you could stuff your multi vitamins inside of twinkies. Viola! Healthy twinkies.

My favorite store bought "granola" bar is by Kashi. The Kashi Go Lean Chewy Oatmeal and Rasins. Yummmmmm. ....and since it says "Go Lean" in the title - it's got to be good for you right? Right????
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel