Thread: New Possible Bug Out Vehicle

Default New Possible Bug Out Vehicle

Last week I traded a S&W Sigma 9mm for a 1983 Honda 185s ATC 3-wheeler. It looked good, ran good and starts first pull. New tires and brakes adjusted. I looked on Craigslist and found that a bike in good shape sells $1,000 or more so I took the deal. At first I was going to turn around and sell it. But after playing around on it a couple days I found its a strong bike, fun as heck and brings back memories of my old Big Red. Since I've painted it Honda Green, welded up a front rack, gun rack and upgraded to LED lights. I've also upgraded the original tool kit and added a medical kit. I'm in the process right now of getting the rear rack sand blasted and painted. Pictures to come as soon as able

Fun machines.....Careful with loading the rear....They are noted for wheelies....looks cool, but only when you want to....LOL
    Pic's will be welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Men and their toys. Congrats. Sounds like a hoot.

Yeah I know how easy and tempting they are to stand them up till the carb stops sucking gas. Haha. But I just realized that if a SHTF scenario arose I can stand it up, put the front tires of my tailgate and pick up the rear and place in in my truck easily by myself. And I'll have two vehicles. And two, when I go to the river to fish I can take it to get down the trails faster and carry more. I usually take my four wheeler but it's a pain towing a trailer in the small parking area. I just see this to be very practical and versatile.

image.jpg
    This is after paint. Before I put on the accessories.

looks nice xjosh just be carful those 3 wheelers are bad for flipping on turns if your going fast. just saying.

Nice trade. I've spent a little time on three wheelers. They take a little getting used to, but sure can be fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh I inow the dangers. Having grown up with a Honda 200 Big Red. To me they are the most fun ATV. It seems you can't tear them up. Most guys who buy new four wheelers and side by sides are constantly working on them. I have drowned out our old 200 probably a dozen times, just let the water drain out, turn up the choke and she fire up. This is an 83 model and still runs very strong and pretty fast. 40 mph is my guess. If I get a good money or trade offer I may let it go. But right now I not looking to get rid of it.

Trading it off for a Sigma 9mm seems like a good deal.....
    I consider mine a "shoot a lots of times backwards while hauling butt outa here" type pistol...."......we have never bonded.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We used to run the hell out of those things. One problem was when a girlfriend would be on the back and put her leg down. That rear tire will eat your lunch.

Last one we had was a souped up 250R. Played hell keeping that front wheel down.

We had a guy that was still riding a 3 wheeler back in the late 90's and everyone else had 4 wheelers. Mostly Honda Foremans or Ranchers. But, I have a buddy with either a late 90's or 2000 350 four tracks which is basically a Big Red with 4 wheels. It's not 4 wheel drive. I know a good rider could get through most of the same ground we drive through without getting of the bike. But, they are so light that if you do get stuck. It is easy to get out. You just got to get off and it'll walk right out.

Exactly. Honda had to stop making those old four tracks because they wouldn't ever break, then no one would buy newer ones. Haha. Just like my four wheelers. I have an Artic Cat 660 that even though sounds like a Harley and a beast of power is always tearing up unlike my late 90s Kawasaki Bayou 300 4X4 which doesn't break down. Just every August before hunting season I'll change the rear axle bearings. But this 3 wheeler has surprised me with how much I want to keep it now. I'm sure if I take it to the local ATV park is probably get laughed at by the boys playing with daddy's money. Don't care, it'll serve its purpose perfectly

I love the Sigma. I must have ran over 600 rounds through it in 4 years and never had a jam. Just can't hit a barn at 30 yards while I'm nailing tacks at 50 yards with my Glock 21 45 and 1911

Blog Entries

Cool Nice trade.

Looks good but definitely a one man BOV. Something like that wouldn't work for my family. Gonna fix the seat?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Yeah. The foam is still intact. I found a handmade seat cover from a company on ebay for $25. If i don't get that I have old seat covers I can wrap and staple.

watch out for and don't make it top heavy or it'll flip

I might have done that once

Hey, you got that thing looking like some kind of army thing. I like that look. Flat army green.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    We used to run the hell out of those things. One problem was when a girlfriend would be on the back and put her leg down. That rear tire will eat your lunch.
    Learned that one real quick. First instinct was to put your leg down on a tight turn, bad idea.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

How quiet or noisy are those things? Gonna want to reduce the sound footprint as much as possible for a BOV. Any idea, besides a bigger muffler how to go about that? Just wanna know for my information.

The 4 stroke engines like that one aren't bad unless the mufflers rotted out, modified or replaced with some hi performance component. The 2 stroker ones, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Fun machines.....Careful with loading the rear....They are noted for wheelies....looks cool, but only when you want to....LOL
    Pic's will be welcome.
    Be VERY careful of sharp turns at higher speeds until you get accustomed to it. In a fast turn, they tend to want to keep going straight.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp