Thread: A cross bladed axe...?

Default A cross bladed axe...?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cros...tep8/Test-Run/

Anyone ever seen something like this before? Seems like a generally one purpose tool... Thought?
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

I haven't seen it before, but will say that the wood you are splitting better be pretty straight grained.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Interesting idea !
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I've never seen one before either. It looks like the face of the axe would have to fall fairly horizontal to the end face of the wood being split. Otherwise, you would drive the side blades in at an angle to the wood. I would also agree with Crash on the straight grain.

Pretty cool looking at first i think, but then it just looks a little pointless and waste of a good axe head. Still a neat idea, but functionality does seem all that great.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Good Lord.......Seriously?.....As seen on TV?...or is that youtub these days?

I'll pass........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, but you still have the little splitter and red wagon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yeah, but you still have the little splitter and red wagon.
    ............Don't forget the tractor.........LOL

Well yeah......because bending over to pick up split wood is just uncivilized.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it......

Couldn't resist.....LOL
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-01-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Great idea, in theory. I've split my share of firewood with an axe. I the pieces you could split with that setup would be few and far between

That was 9" of solid Fir, a little bit of bark and a knot. Swing that bad boy on a piece of live oak.

Rather than an ax to may or may not get stuck....I think I would rather go with "The Bomb" splitting wedge.....at least you can beat on it if it doesn't split on the first whack......
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/4008304...lpid=82&chn=ps

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have the bomb, a couple of splitting wedges, a couple of mauls and the big axe.

Sometimes it takes all of them on the gnarly wood my life has been composed of.

It's a sick feeling when you hit the end of a chunk of wood and the splitting maul just bounces.

Even worse when you hit it and water squirts out of the grain!

I had a tree go down 3 years back that I sawed into blocks and it took a year and a half for it to dry out enough to split.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

As I got wimpier I found it was easier to split the stuff when it's frozen. Today I find it easier to split the stuff by pushing the button. Splitting fuel for a gas fireplace is pretty simple these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    As I got wimpier I found it was easier to split the stuff when it's frozen. Today I find it easier to split the stuff by pushing the button. Splitting fuel for a gas fireplace is pretty simple these days.

Ha....Never again.....LOL
    I had heard that as well......Split when frozer, will split easier........Ha!

About zero.....had face code to split for my garage wood stove.....deep snow all over...decided to do it on the garage/parking/slab.
    First mistake.
    Got me a block to split on.......put down and leveled the first piece.

Reared back with my brand new hardware store maul...(no cheap HF maul for me!)....took a mighty swing...over my head, perfect aim....all the while thinking...."Thru the log, thru the log, thru the log....."

Yeah well, ....
    Snagged the TV antenna wire hanging down to the side of the garage.....pulled it down....but pulled the little TV off the shelf in the garage....hit the floor and broke.

Hit the log, split really well...as also split my splitting block....and banged the end of the maul on the concrete....(at least it didn't crack that).

One chunk flew sideways, hit the plastic wheel on the charcoal grill....shattered it,...did I mention it was cold out?

So it tipped over, dumping the old ashes and part burned charcoal everywhere.....

I thought....This is not what I was told would happen....(add in many cuss words, some made up on the spot)

Put the maul away,......went into the house and to watch football....couldn't watch in the garage, as I was out of wood, and TV broke, ....No antenna....and stuff all over to trip over.

Wood may split better frozen....can't say the same about anything in the circle of destruction.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-02-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Buhahahahaha. Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are. God bless them little wood splittin' pygmies down there in New Guinea. About the only thing you can do when you walk in the house is tell your wife she has a heck of a mess to clean up. That sounds like watchin' dominoes fall. Buhahaha.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Yeah...THAT's when I bought the Harbor Freight little blue electric splitter....and been trying to kill it for about 10 years now.....

Just to keep the damage down.

Cost avoidance. That little splitter has probably paid for itself many times over on stuff that didn't get killed.