Thread: a GRUNTS perspective on survival

Default a GRUNTS perspective on survival

what i,m starting here is a open fourm to all GRUNTS to give input on their survival experiences
    that would have applications in a post shtf world. i,ve noticed a number of younger members and
    folks new to this whole outdoors living deal. as for my self i was not a grunt no lowly 11boo here
    just a camper. so could some of the vets here stateside and combat lend their thoughts on surviving
    in bad times in a camping type enviroment.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You simply can not get past a post apocalyptic scenario can you?

From a former grunt to a non-grunt, its tornado season, get ready for that.

I have endured 40 tornado seasons since I was a grunt, and came closer to "death by storm" more times than in combat. More times that I know of anyway.

As for using my acquired grunt skills, as an outdoorsman I do that every time I go camping, or leave the house for a trip to the grocery. It is called using the things you learned the hard way in the real world. Home security, route planning, situational awareness, proper tool usage and adaptability.

And the first thing you learn as a grunt is that you can not live out of a BOB forever. Grunts have a supply train 9,000 miles long with at least 10 support troops to keep each one of them in the field.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I was no 11B either. I was 88M. I drove trucks. Half my time in Iraq was spent living out of my truck. I guess I classify as one of those guys supporting the 11Bs. Actually I support tankers more, because my truck was designed to carry tanks. Tankers probably need 4 times the support 11Bs need.

Anyways, camping and survival are 2 different things. When I am in a camping environment, I am not in a survival environment. When I camp, I am on vacation.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

As a non grunt I can't speak for one, but

I think discussions on grunts, on grunts, should be by grunts.

Post SHTF anybody.... most likely will not have the ability to call in air strikes, med evec. and resupply.....

Young non grunts should enlist to find out what the real skinny is....not read forums, play video games and watch TV.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

yer right krat shtf comes in many flavors, like emergency trips to the hosp rolling the lil,red death trap
    over in -50below zero at night in the country on cell phone i now have two. live and learn i guess.
    oh yeah then theres getten stung in the head by a hornet anaphalactic shock set in damm neer died.
    I know none of this is camping related but were survival type situations none the less i guess.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hey finally Me, where were you guys anyway??

Looking back on things I think I remember one of the most common phrases being "when does resupply get here?"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

"Keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut."
    "Do what you are told and quickly do it when you are told".
    "Observe, Listen, and Learn".
    "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome".
    These are a few of the phrases taught to me by my instructors, and they still serve me today.
    As far as survival situations, GRUNTS utilized their training, gear and support systems.
    Then again, sometimes we just had to wing it...
    Last edited by MrFixIt; 03-31-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    what i,m starting here is a open fourm to all GRUNTS to give input on their survival experiences
    that would have applications in a post shtf world. i,ve noticed a number of younger members and
    folks new to this whole outdoors living deal. as for my self i was not a grunt no lowly 11boo here
    just a camper. so could some of the vets here stateside and combat lend their thoughts on surviving
    in bad times in a camping type enviroment.
    If you want meaningful replies, you may want to read and follow this http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...rio-Check-List
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

im trying to think of infantry survival skills that would apply to a post apocalyptic scenario.

hmm...

reverse order planning...
    risk analysis...
    knowing what happens if you dont take care of your feet...
    general security.
    honestly, after the world ends, i think a homesteader would have more pertinent "survival skills" than an 11B.

the survival skills i learned in the infantry were geared toward surviving combat. not an apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Hey finally Me, where were you guys anyway??

Looking back on things I think I remember one of the most common phrases being "when does resupply get here?"
    What was that phrase again...."in the rear with the gear" ?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Lol, I was a grunt a couple of life times ago. I still think I have an eye for shooting. 'Clause that's what we're supposed to think. Don't know or care. Until the ****f it really doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Lol, I was a grunt a couple of life times ago. I still think I have an eye for shooting. 'Clause that's what we're supposed to think. Don't know or care. Until the ****f it really doesn't matter.
    my mother has cataracts, cant hardly see. relatively recently, walked her through the basics, and before long she was nailing dimes set on end at 25 yards, with a .22 caliber round.
    if my insane and half blind mother can do it, im sure you still "have an eye" for shooting.

i find it funny how the basics work no matter what, but it takes so darn long to get used to applying ALL of the basics at the same time...

As a former grunt with more than enough combat deployments I'll tell you the one best piece of advice, "what can go wrong, will go wrong". Everytime we left the wire we were prepared to get into a long firefight resulting in fixed bayonets, although the average engagements last les than 10 minutes l which is ten minutes of hell everytime. And also " make a dicsion" even if you're not 100% you have to move, do something. Don't watch movies or video games to get an idea of how combat or near death is, but don't go purposely look for it.

Training.... That's key. Train as you fight. In a SHTF senario you can have all the preps and wilderness survival you need but how to engage a threat tactically and efficiently takes training that comes second nature. Read U.S. Army FM 3-21 and start there. And then find other infantry manuals on the tactics and such.

As far as survival from a grunt, I know you can't live out of a bag forever, 500 rounds of ammo still isn't enough, a can of dip is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by xjosh40x View Post

As far as survival from a grunt, I know you can't live out of a bag forever, 500 rounds of ammo still isn't enough, a can of dip is a must.
    Stephen, is that you?.......oh, sorry you sound like my SIL.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well you know when you arrive at Fort Benning for OSUT when they issue your weapon they add a can of Copenhagen

Hence the term...spit and polish (I slay myself)

lol
    when i was went through OSUT, one of our drill sergeants gave a guy a dip on one of the marches during the final FTX. talk about motivation...

there was no stopping that soldier!