Thread: What do you look for in a knife?

Default What do you look for in a knife?

My brother and I are looking to manufacture a knife that is especially for survivalists, and we wanted to know what it is that experienced survivalists look for in their knives. I've put together a brief survey on Survey Monkey that asks nine questions about what your ideal knife would be like.

If you have a moment, and you'd like to see us create your ideal knife, please let us know your thoughts here:
    **Removed URL***********

Thanks!
    We value your time and thoughts.

Lex

This seems like spam to me.......and I think that you are about 10 years late for getting into the survival knife game.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    This seems like spam to me.......and I think that you are about 10 years late for getting into the survival knife game.
    Sorry if it looks like spam. We're really just looking for honest feedback. And we're not looking to compete with big markets, just to access a small niche.

If you say so....
    BUT....with out any intro:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Then first post a survey for your business?

Quote>
    2. Do not spam. Spam is a solicitation for members to do something for your benefit. Be that to buy something from you, join your group/society, visit your website, whatever. I don't care if you run a non-profit website benefiting albino eskimos. Pepper the forums with solicitations to join it and you'll be banned, and the links removed. If you have a website or business, your signature (edited in your User CP (see top left)) is the place for it, and we have absolutely no problem with you using your signature to promote your business. So long as that isn't your only contribution to the forum.< Quote

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ules-amp-Staff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hey, we have been hashing over those same 9 questions for the past 8 years and can not get any three people to agree on more than two or three points!

By taking the "average" you are going to wind up with a camel (a horse designed by a committee).

It might do some, not all, its jobs better than the horse but it will be ugly as sin, have a bad disposition and still not be as valuable as a horse!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The "ideal survival knife" is a mythical thing that will never exist because there are far too many opinions on it. For example, take the Tom Brown Tracker knife. While it looks to be a very useful tool and looks like it could withstand a lot of abuse, it fails to impress me at all. Would I buy one ? Maybe, but it would not do all I would expect of it. I feel it is trying to include too many tools into one creation. Could I survive using it ? Sure, but it still would not be the perfect "one" tool to do it all. That creature will never exist ! In a survival situation, I would want to match the tool to the job at hand and that's why I carry more than one tool. I like a big chopper, be it a big knife, machete, axe, tomahawk, or hatchet (pick one). These are used to help build shelter, clear brush, and can be used for defense if need be. Then comes a good fixed blade sheath knife. Not too big, not too small. Full tang, carbon steel, 4 to 5 inch blade, maybe a 6 incher at the most but 5 inch is my favorite all around. Drop point, no serrations or saw backs, to me these are just things that get in the way and are hard to sharpen. Then the final is a small bladed carver of some sort like a Mora or Swiss Army knife which is always with me in my right front pocket and it too does have a small saw blade that is surprisingly effective ! Anyway, for me just one tool doesn't cut it.

My tool trio right now consists of"

Condor Pack Golok (chopper)
    ESEE Laserstrike (belt knife)
    Mora Clipper and SAK (carvers)
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I thought we all agreed that this was the ultimate survival knife?

HFjoke.jpg
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Survivalists? Yeah, good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree with Lamewolf with the addition of a multitool, especially in a urban survival situation.
    Don't subscribe to the survival genre anyway but that's my 10c (sorry that's my nickel's worth).

Busse Battle Mistress. Hands down. For those times in which you just have to cut your way out of a green anaconda or slice up a bunch of tires. We are talking survival, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Busse Battle Mistress. Hands down. For those times in which you just have to cut your way out of a green anaconda or slice up a bunch of tires. We are talking survival, right?
    Remember now, the pen is mightier than the sword !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Don't make me play "the song"!

Junior Member Jeffery Chattanooga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Now that is funny right there!
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne