Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stockpiling foods

AH ramen noodles with saute,ed baby carrots and medallions of SPAM with spam counfe sauce.
    braised baby dandilion greens.

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

i printed out this list my husband said bleck...to the list.why print out this list.
    its a depression era list of foods i thought if we get snowed in and cant get to town.we can make do.
    he said he would get us thru to town.haa haa haa.
    http://thesurvivalmom.com/could-you-...ression-meals/
    i have eaten some of these as a child and an adult.good list though.

Gee whiz. I still eat some of that stuff. Chipped beef is common and can be purchased in foil packs. There is not much better than a tomato and mayonnaise sandwich on a hot August afternoon.

that's a good list, brought back memories. Really miss my cornbread and milk, it's best when it's fresh milk. Like the cow was milked that morning fresh
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

We do a lot of food storage, home canning, buying in case lots, commercially canned food. But I swear by my vacuum sealer. I seal anything and everything in that, throw an oxygen absorber packet in the bag and suck the air out and you are good for a while. Once the bag is open however the food has to be eaten so portion sizing is important. Then just burn the bag. My camper is packed with food year round. We go a lot of camping but it's also our "SHTF emergency lodging", the vacuum sealed food lasts even through the winter no spoilage.
    "Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" - Albert Einstein
    www.canada.tednshannonthrive.thrivelife.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    [/COLOR]

Sacrilegious statements are not allowed on the forum. I guess you'd do without bacon and coffee too. Oh, the humanity.
    I probably shouldn't tell you that I don't drink coffee... But, you have to draw a line somewhere, and bacon is definitely on that line. There is a BIG difference between bacon and spam.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Would you look at that? My eyes are bleeding just from having read that. You don't drink...I can't even type it. Once I get the blood out of my eyes I will be looking for the ban button.

We have a grocery store here that sells Chicken Paws. You can buy a pound for about a buck. Always wondered what you do with them. I was just going to fry one up, go to Mickey D's and buy some chicken McNuggets, have a seat, and put that Chicken Paw just hanging over the edge of the dish and watch the fun.
    (would probably be arrested for some reason or other.)

Rice cooked in milk with a little cinnamon and sugar is a tasty dessert. Same with bread and butter pudding.

Anything cooked in bacon grease is ok in my book. Even sliced bread. I'll even eat collard greens if they are fried in bacon grease.

Chicken skin properly cooked and crisp is the best part of the chicken!

Nothing wrong with just about everything on that list. Except maybe using a carrot peeler to shave pig liver. I might draw the line at that.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I think I would build a nice deep root cellar if I lived in Alaska or anywhere in an extremely cold environment. I mean a totally underground one covered with dirt and an insulated door. You would be able to keep almost anything in there without spoilage!

You can. You can use crates, you can use burlap, you can use sawdust. You can make it 8X10, you can make it 10X10. You can make it near a cabin. You can make it near a cave. You can even make it 250 miles from your nearest neighbor.

Groan.......Reading Dr. Seuss to grand children?.......
    Oh Wait......Native Dude?....Yeah, that's the ticket......Bohahaha
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Native Dude will never die. He's nearly as infamous as Blade.

Even more so. Just been gone longer........being 240 miles from the nearest road in the middle of Detroit, I suppose its understandable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Gee whiz. I still eat some of that stuff. Chipped beef is common and can be purchased in foil packs. There is not much better than a tomato and mayonnaise sandwich on a hot August afternoon.
    I'm with ya, about the 'mater sammich.

But I will say that if you add some home made bacon and a little lettuce to that sammich, it's not a bad thing.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Yeah, well, there's good (mater), better (mater and lettuce) and bestest (blt).

Blog Entries

I don't suppose you guys have Bovril. If you do, a mater and Bovril sammich is the bits.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.