Thread: Bowhunting a Fox

Default Bowhunting a Fox

I decided to visit a spot at The Retreat where I had whistled in a fox previously (and missed), so thought I'd set my video up as well, "just in case', and was extremely fortunate to whistle a fox to my feet within about 40 seconds. He tore in from my left side, and I didn't actually see him coming in, until he was almaost at my feet, then he turned sharply and took off when he crossed my scent, but a few short blasts of the fox whistle pulled him up again, and he turned and trotted a few metres back towards me, and this is when I nailed him.
    The hit was unmistakeable, and he took off quickly , very wobbly, away and over a rise. I quickly grabbed my video, and followed up the track but I couldn't see him nearby, so went out further to pick up a trail, and found blood and some fatty tissue about 80 metres away, which meant it was a damaging shot, but we'd need to track him.

I went back to the retreat, got my Bro, and we followed the trail into another property, and through a fence, heading down towards a creek. The sun was just breaking the horizon, so the grass was still damp, and all blood was still wet, fresh, and also dripping down the grass blades.

We followed the trail down into a big clump of blackberries, and as I was checking for an exit sign, around the back and across the creek, BXXXX whistled and stuck his hand next to his ear, for the "I hear something' signal. I quickly knocked an arrow and stood at the back of the blackberries, as BXXXX started hitting the blackberries with a stick, and the fox took off out the back, fell into the creek, and just managed to get up onto a rock, before resting, I could see he was pretty well knackered, and wasn't going far, so decided to grab some video, instead of shooting him again, but he was quick to enter some more blackberries, before I could get more than a few seconds of extra footage.
    I quickly put another arrow into him once he settled in, and recovered him, to do a full skinning and caping.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Enigma; 03-28-2015 at 05:42 PM.

I cant see the pics, ugh!!

I fixed them. Why did you block out your face when you're on YouTube? Odd name for a camp. Nice fox though.

save the lower jaws they.ll make nice neck knives use a small piece of that pretty mookite.

Nice fox....and good hunting....tough to get one in that close......everything needs to be right.
    Congrats.

BTW I see blacked out faces...I think poachers......just saying.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-28-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The shots are taken from an old post (about 4 years ago) from an aussie forum, where the 'rules' were members blacked out faces. It was due to one or two particular idiots in previous years on another forum, who had 'issues' with the members, so he'd cut and paste images of some members, and write derogatory remarks and personal details i.e.: addresses, phone numbers etc.

Apologies if it comes across here as not good form. I will delete any from now on (before posting) and not include them here.

I have plenty of videos if you guys really want to see my ugly face! :-)

Rick, the camp name was XXXXX'd out because it is a 'pisstake', and not relevant. I'll edit it now.

No problem. I was just curious. Just so you know, there is a bug in the vBulletin software that prevents the pics from showing up from time to time. Crash or I usually fix them when we run across them but you'll see a remark that says, "Visitors can't see pictures. Please register....." That's the bug.