Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plastic bags for camping

Default plastic bags for camping

many things we take into the field at times may be sealed in ziploc freezer bags.once used are often discarded.
    re use those bags. like putting those nasty socks that will keep even the bears away.
    qt&gal ziplocs can be used for makeshift canteens. lg,44gal,6mil trash bags for rain coats,water collecton
    bags make shift sleeping bags and so on.mylar foil bags from mre or lurp rations or mountain house foods
    can be used to heat water.think outside the box.

you can even take "walmart" bags and braid a rope from them.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

plastic bags can be used to keep feet dry as well. hats too are another use
    as well as tinder dry sacks.

as a kid we used bread bags in our boots. also bags can be put over foliage to collect water
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I I would use garbage bags for food or water are often chemically treated are not food safe

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Should be , wouldn't use garbage bags. Won't allow me to edit it.

Good friends espouse the benefits of plastic bags. And yes, I use ziplocks and dry bags. Not proud of it.

ziplocs are for the food, rubbish bags are for the water which should be filtered even rain water any how.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    as a kid we used bread bags in our boots. also bags can be put over foliage to collect water
    LOL......Bread bags of boots........Jack Pine Savage Pack boot.....LOL

The boy had broken his foot, cast on....wanted to go deer hunting.......so it was bread bags on the cast....down thru the woods he goes....changing bags every 10 minutes or so.....Should have seen that cast......LOL

I still carry the them in hunting coats and fanny packs for "got your boot/sock soaked"...take wet sock off...put on dry sock with bag over and put boot back on.

Works even if you don't have a dry sock.....the wool will still keep you warm if you put the bag on your foot....then the sock and boot back on.

You know I always get a kick out of the "condom" for water transport.....Now that is just silly....I need more water than that!

Zip lock and plastic bags all the way.....if you can't find a water bottle......I gonna guess most places with have one at least every 5 ft. if you are anywhere close to a road.

Poncho, waders, shelters, ground cloth.....and carrying most anything you don't what the get dirty, or hang on to, foraged stuff......

Good reminder post HS...
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-28-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: splin
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I always carried bread bags on the truck around mushroom season. Came walking out of the woods one day to see my boss's car sitting behind the truck. Chucked the mushrooms behind a tree and walked on down.

"What ya doin'?" he asked.
    "Nature call," I said.

He told me what he had to tell me then told me not to forget my mushrooms.

I never throw away a zip lock bag.

I like the ziplock bags with the built in zipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher View Post
    I never throw away a zip lock bag.
    There are limits to that....LOL...
    DW saves them all as well....when the get a hole in it....or the "zipper" is making a fool out of me...out it goes....Life is too short to fight a stupid bag.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My mother saves all plastic bags. When the get holes and can no longer carry items, she sews them into a pillow case for the dogs to sleep on and has used them herself. Said they were comfortable but rather noisy.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

One of those "there I was moments " . So , I picked up a couple of plastic bags for my feet to watch a very cold and wet NY thanksgiving parade .

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

You know I always get a kick out of the "condom" for water transport.....Now that is just silly....I need more water than that!
    Buy bigger condoms. ;-). Most will hold 2 liters of water

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Cody Lundin promotes using condoms in his book. He must never have actually tried it. (The most stupidest and inept way to carry water in 2015, that it is actually laughable). He also seems to forget his book is marketed throughout the world, (not just in California), so most peple dont have a clue what a Bandana is , or have ever owned one. (Because you're then supposed to then take off your bandana or sock to nurse a stupid condom full of water, while traversing and navigating off track!!! yep, a written script right out of one of those stupid 'reality' survivor TV shows)

A box of 50 sandwhich bags costs a few bucks, and they will do 100 times a better job at water carrying, than a ridiculous condom. You can also use the Sodis method with them, try that with a condom on the ground!
    Last edited by Enigma; 04-21-2015 at 08:12 AM.

So how do you really feel about it? I would think the most stupid and inept way to carry water would be in a can with no bottom but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Cody Lundin promotes using condoms in his book. He must never have actually tried it. (The most stupidest and inept way to carry water in 2015, that it is actually laughable). He also seems to forget his book is marketed throughout the world, (not just in California), so most peple dont have a clue what a Bandana is , or have ever owned one.
    What is totally hysterical is you thinking nobody outside of California knows what a bandana is. The word isn't even American in origin.

Plastic bags can be very useful. A group us walked up a very high mountain in the tropics wearing jungle boots, running shoes, sport shoes and other unsuitable footwear but kept our feet warm and dry by putting plastic sandwich bags over our stockings. Even though the summit was cold and wet, with ice at the very top, plastic sandwich bags over several layers of stockings made a good substitute for properly insulated and water resistant mountain boots.