Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: plastic bags for camping

I bring large heavy duty ziplocks with the litres marked on the outside with a sharpy and chlorine tabs. Also 2 55gal drum liners. All can fit in one cargo pocket with room to spare. Think of all the uses that combo has and it doesnt take up much room.

A box of standard wooden strike on box wooden matches can be wrapped in a plastic sandwich bag and secured with a rubber band. Not as cool as a windproof cigarette lighter or a fire steel, but not as expensive.

I always carry a couple of the contractor heavy mil trash bags with me in my backpack. I had a storm blow in one afternoon as I was hiking back to the truck, and the temperature dropped and it started raining like crazy! Had no time to even look for shelter so I slipped on of those trash bags over me head and cut a small hole to see through. I just stood beneath a tree for about an hour until the rain passed on, and I was dry as a bone except for my legs. I was actually quite warm in that bag because it kept me dry and kept the wind off of me as well! I love those big contractor bags! they are not as good as a raincoat but definitely better than nothing!