Thread: Mystery Bolete

Default Mystery Bolete

I found this mystery bright Orange Boletus today. I have never seen this one before.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-26-2015 at 05:14 PM.

i,m sure if you ask one of the ABO medcine men in the area he would know. hmm

I'd know more than them mate. There's not many left on the East Coast who would know about their own traditions. The British were very good at wiping them out. PLus not much documentation was ever done, so a lot of knowledge has been lost permanently. I do know other funghi Abo's used, but the field is so vast, the ratio would be 500:1 of what is known versus what is not known, especially when it comes down to culinary and edible native fungi. Unlike Nth America and Europe, Australia has hardly any history of culinary use of NATIVE fungi, excpet for a handful of known Aboriginal uses.

Here is a old page on collecting shrooms. Check out the lobster mushroom on page 3, it's one
    of my best finds. I have no formal training and find the Latin names a pain in the arse.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...Wild-Mushrooms

here's an amanita I found a while back too. Anyone know what it is?

This was a large stand of Phaeogyroporus Portentosus I found a while back (below). These members of the native boletus family grow H U G E !!!!!
    These are described as being "Gondwanaland" mushrooms.

They all look like mushrooms to me. Don't like the edible ones let alone the other kinds.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Another new Boletus I found. The shaggy cap is quite interesting, plus the spongey pores marked a very dark green, immediately they were touched.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    here's an amanita I found a while back too. Anyone know what it is?
    Looks like it might amanita phalloides or commonly referred to as a "death cap"? Definitely a mushroom one should not ingest if I am correct on my idetification.
    Last edited by buckfynn; 06-18-2015 at 05:52 PM.

That Amanita is a blushing species appearing to belong in section Lepidella, and is not at all similar to A. phalliodes.

The last boletale appears to be a Boletellus species, as does the first. The first will be Boletellus obscurecoccineus if you are in Oceania.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    That Amanita is a blushing species appearing to belong in section Lepidella, and is not at all similar to A. phalliodes.

The last boletale appears to be a Boletellus species, as does the first. The first will be Boletellus obscurecoccineus if you are in Oceania.
    So if you will please describe in detail the distinctions of what you see in Enigma's first photo of identifying the mushroom?

The scaly stipe taken with the coloration of the peliepellis, having yellow context below, the scaly portion of the stipe being concolorous with the cap and with those scales terminating before the apex, the pale yellow pores and the apparent white basal mycelia

Taken with the presumed location and my presumption that none of the similar looking Xerocomellus are known from there, with a quick search not contradicting, I have a reasonable confidence.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Canid, I appreciate your response. But it is still clear as mud to me the physical distinctions between the amanita phalloides and the amanita lepidella. If you could give a brief side by side comparison it would be helpful to me. Thanks in advance.

BTW: This sort of thing is what has always scared me away from such family of mushrooms.

Foremost; there is no such taxon as Amanita lepidella. Lepidella if I correctly understand it is a now defunct genus, but certainly now a subgenus of the genus Amanita to which both the sections Lepidella (containing the species for which the Amanita in question is a candidate) and Phalloideae (containing as well as others A. phalliodes), in addition to several other sections. Broken down thusly, as one of the better general resources on the genus have it as currently as they are able.

For the Amanitas, start here.

Pay particular attention to the basal features - as this is often treated as the first line in Amanita identification - and note that A. phalloides has a sack-like volva, were the mushroom in question has an indistinct base with shaggy volval remnants which are not a sack or sheath. The apparent friable basal ring is interesting, but is not the same.

It also shows vinaceous or rubescent bruising which feature does not occur in A. phalloides.

Next; consider the coloration of the cap, which in A. phalliodes ranges from pale yellow to pale olive green, or fading to very pale in age or rain exposure.

Next; the cap showed marginal veil remnants, characeristic of some subsections of sect. Lepidella, to include the blushing ones but not of A. phalliodes.

Amanita is tricky. The taxonomy is in a constant state of flux and I've never been able to keep up with it. This is compounded by the fact that short of research journal publications; nearly everything written about them (and nearly half written about the taxomony of mushrooms in general) is out of date, incomplete or otherwise inconsistent with current understandings and relationships.

The good news is that there aren't many that are popularly eaten anyway; and with the basics in hand 'close enough' can be close enough. Indeed, it's often the closest one can get. The rest is just down to erring on the side of safety and pursuing the study as far as it feels rewarding, fun and engaging. I only eat a few Amanita species, and none with any frequency. Most often their identification is more an intellectual or scholarly exercise.

Identification to species is likely to be difficult for a variety of reasons. Firstly because it's difficult in general under circumstances not involving a very distinctive species. Secondly because even then those species often represent a variety of similar species not formally described to allow distinction, or generally similar species occurring in isolated continents or regions for which the early name is misapplied to the new taxa. Lastly because I believe the OP found these mushrooms in Oceania where little overlap in species is likely to actually exist with north america, europe or asia with primarily whoes taxa I, or those who write or learn from field guides are familiar. A. phalliodes is an exception - though only because this species in an invasive introduction brought down there by the importation of oaks - but this muhsroom is not that species.

Sorry for going on so long.
    Last edited by canid; 06-26-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: addition.

I notice I'm getting the "guests cannot see images" while logged in bug again. I was hoping to view them again.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    I notice I'm getting the "guests cannot see images" while logged in bug again. I was hoping to view them again.
    Unfortunately I am seeing the same message where the photos were.

Once again many thanks for your indepth response.

More than likely I will have additional questions and look forward to future discussions.

It's a forum software glitch. The mods fix em, but they do not take all of the time. Try quoting the post where you want to see pictures - that sometimes works.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel