Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do about mice that invaded my shelter?

Yea I did read the first post. Its not uncommon. my point was that it doesn't matter if its a cardboard box, a lean too, a cabin, or a MCMansion.. the treatment or the solution is the same... would it have gone over better if I had said...

YOU ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG?

The success or failure is all about technique. Not a bucket. I can do it for my home... can I do what I do at your home for you?

Would you like to try this again - I am a licensed PA pest control operator with years of experience. feel Free to ask questions...Honest I am hear to help if I can.

Folks... I even know how to knock out the smell of dead Skunks...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

Ok Mr. Owl you must share your wisdom then, how do you kill the dead skunk smell?
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yea I did read the first post. Its not uncommon. my point was that it doesn't matter if its a cardboard box, a lean too, a cabin, or a MCMansion.. the treatment or the solution is the same... would it have gone over better if I had said...

The success or failure is all about technique. Not a bucket. I can do it for my home... can I do what I do at your home for you?

Would you like to try this again - I am a licensed PA pest control operator with years of experience. feel Free to ask questions...Honest I am hear to help if I can.

Yeah thanks for the advice......I know that most of the "27 new ways to catch and kill mice" are more silliness than not....But this question did cause me to go looking , and some cases laughing at, all the offerings out there in YouTube land.

Being a pro, I sure you can get much better products and devices than are available to "Joe Blow -Homesteader"....or in this case, a "Almost homeless" builder of a shack in the woods.

I too fight mice at the cabin, and in the sheds.....and welcome any help.

Opening up the door of an elevated deer blind, while standing on the ladder.....and seeing a "3-4 defensive set" or defense mice ...ready to Blize was kinda scary.

After cleaning out the nests...sweeping/vacuuming droppings and nest parts, out....then a soaking/wiping with bleach on floor...did help some.
    Bait and glue pads did slow them down till the end of deer season.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hey WOO - I have been a licensed certified operator in three states and an ID card holder in two others. The way a rodent problem is combated at residential or commercial property will not be the same as a wiki-up in the woods that is vacant most of the year. Your advice was sound for occupied and used properties, but for abandoned ones may need some tweaking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

While we ramble on over methods and manner, poor old Dkott25, who has not been back to check on us in three weeks, was found eaten by mice in a cardboard box.

only his ID card and belt buckle were found intact.

The rest of him was consumed or turned into nest material.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    While we ramble on over methods and manner, poor old Dkott25, who has not been back to check on us in three weeks, was found eaten by mice in a cardboard box.

only his ID card and belt buckle were found intact.

The rest of him was consumed or turned into nest material.
    Well, actually it's been since 4-7-15 (other thread)......
    But Hey, you might be right.....

It amazes me to see how fast mice can rebuild nests.......They made a nest fro pink insulation in DW car, over night, parked in the driveway at "The Place".

Would have never seen it but was next to the wood pile...and saw one run across the gravel, hope on the front wheel....and disappear into the engine compartment.
    Opened the hood and there was a pink nest net to the battery box.....momma and several babies....she split, with a couple of babies hanging on when I took out the nest. She was headed to the wood pile.......Didn't make it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So honestly, the brown recluse spiders, chipmunks, mice, Daddy long legs, armadillos, chiggers, skeeters, etc. crawl all over me when I sleep by the fire.

Man, you're in the woods. Deal with it.

And BTW, there might be a member or 2 that can testify to the "Life" I go fer. I'm not talking out my rear.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by DKott25 View Post
    Last October I built a shelter in the woods while homeless. I refused to live under a bridge and because I like being creative and innovative I decided to build a a shelter unlike any other. I put well over 140 hours of work into it. Most of those hours consisted of finding items I could use in dumpsters such as wood, even full computer desks and having to carry it long distances to the woods than also through the woods. My main priority was to create the warmest shelter possible. Anyways I lived or rather just slept there for 4-5 months until I had a real place to stay. I'm having to return now. I checked it for the first time in awhile and mice managed to take home to it and honestly I don't know how. It consists of over 6 layers of walling and 3 layer of flooring. That isn't including all the numerous sealants I used on top of other things. I examined every inch of it days ago when I went there to try and figure out how they got in. I made sure it would be resistant to sustain the worst of weather conditions as well inaccessible to any animals. I can't figure out how the hell they got in. That is aside from the fact. What matters is they did get in. It smells inside. Their are droppings and it wreaks of urine. I also had a sleeping bag and two very nice and rather expensive blankets that were tied in heavy duty thick bags which they tore apart. There were pieces of the blanket not only inside the shelter but scattered outside. So first will washing the blankets remove whatever the mice left behind on them? Secondly how can I best prevent them from getting in after I clean everything up? Is it a health hazard to even sleep in there again knowing what diseases mice can have? And how the hell did they get in? I guess without seeing it in entirety it's hard to answer that but there are no holes or openings anywhere. At first I thought maybe they chewed through the layers of walling but there are no holes or entry points inside or out I could find. I'll have to check again today or tomorrow. I don't even wanna know what I'll find when I look underneath the layers of flooring I put in cause that's gotta be where they are at, most likely all dead.
    Well this is easy a few things are needed to clear a building of mice... Forget the bucket, start with well placed snaps., behind furniture, behind cabinets, placed above drop ceilings - mark the spots with post its.... if you want to use peanut that's fine - I use Sesame Oil. Part two GB 24" Glue boards in areas where people wont step and get stuck. I use these in quiet corners in off areas of traffic. Then I place Mini Evo's with a cube of professional rodenticide and place these in dark unlit areas where clear jimmy's of poo are visible. One cube can kill 50+ mice... EVO's are safety boxes to prevent dogs and kids from coming in contact with the products. Finally I install large EVO around the outside of the building using fresh bait every two months. When the mice are gone from the inside a hepa vacuum will prove the mice are gone with a solid clean up. NO more Jimmy's - The snaps are then removed - the minis are left for 6 months, then removed. The GB's are replaced with fresh ones. At the end the outside boxes continue to depopulate and feed fresh mice to death. I use this method to clear 7 story infested buildings downtown. I use this method plus something called a tin cat in restaurants. But folks its all about safety. This is the prescription to avoiding mice delivering disease to a facility.

Would YOU like to try this again? I have no doubt you can clear any regular home of pests. But when someone is asking about clearing his shelter in the woods that is probably covered over with found pieces of carpet, of mice and you start talking about traps and poison placed behind furniture, cabinets, and drop ceilings, yea. I am well within my rights to conclude that you didn't read the original post. Furniture? He might have a log to sit on, although he might not. Sawing logs takes tools or a lot of calories. Off areas of traffic? Hepa vacuum? Dude is scrounging for change to buy some Ramen. So yea, what ever.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I had a mouse once in my stone cabin in hawaii i got so tired of trying to trap him
    that i finally just made a pet out of him. i would eat by candle light and would see him
    out of the corner of my eve and would give him a spoonful of curry rice he liked that.
    i had a friend something to beat the lonelyness in the cabin.

Just to set the record straight here. If I'm ever down to only having a mouse as a friend I'm probably gonna get a dog. Just to kick the mouse out. And he can take the curry rice with him. Blech.

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just to set the record straight here. If I'm ever down to only having a mouse as a friend I'm probably gonna get a dog. Just to kick the mouse out. And he can take the curry rice with him. Blech.
    Oh mice and rats are easy to have as pets, they shake and yap alot though. I heard mexico has a state named in their honor.
    On topic, with the abundance of feral cats and the cheapness of baloney, I wonder how rodents are such a problem.
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

Sometimes there just aren't enough traps or cats.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As stated, peanut butter works but also going for the 'fake' friend might as well. Just give it a little food every day and the day it comes out to grab some more a - catch it, b - have a box ready, c - block its escape hole with card board, or disregardign those a surprising way to help would be to leave food outside the structure. with mice overall you might want to just get sticky pads and bait it, it wont kill the mice, damage the furniture, or stink to badly if you don't use bad food. The ideas above have been okay, but I don't think there are many easy ways of getting rid of mice without bait, poison, or traps.

And just saying... you should build a fire, grap a stick, catch one, and enjoy that emergency ration.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mahatma Ghandi
    Individually we are a drop, together, we are an ocean. - Ryunosuke Satoro